Evil Neighbours Thread

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Yes, but disposing the bodies is difficult (not impossible, but…do we have a Mr. Wolf here?), and since he isn’t intruding on my property, not quite as easy as news stories suggest. On the other hand, wandering my lot with a .45 might constrain his viewing habits. As a bonus, the next neighbor behind to the north likes to pot squirrels with his air pistol (illegal, and stupid, within city limits).

On the whole the lad is worrisome, as his behavior (spends most of his time tinkering with his old, and loud, Camaro, seemingly un/underemployed, hanging around the abode, smoking pot with his mates and sisters, potentially peeping) is frustrating but (mostly) not illegal. The actions of the parents in taking down the hollies that blocked vision between the lots after we asked about them contributing to replacing the fence with a taller, privacy version, and then saying they couldn’t contribute for at least a year, is also unfortunate or deliberate (they blamed it on a misunderstanding with the Spanish speaking yardcrew)…plus the dad seems more paranoid from his pre-lockdown behavior, so who knows.

Shooting squirrels is on a par with shagging and eating dogs.  Disgraceful behaviour.

26 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Read somewhere that there are fewer gun owners in America than there used to be, but people who still own them have shitloads of them, so the overall number of guns keeps going up.

The overall percentage of owners is indeed slightly down, and the overall number per owner is climbing steadily…something’s gonna have to give.

26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Shooting squirrels is on a par with shagging and eating dogs.  Disgraceful behaviour.

Yea, they haven’t done shite to him, but he seems to love shooting and skinning them. He’s got two other neighbors who let him cap the furry rodents on their lots too, so it’s a cultural thing around here.

12 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

It‘a finding the place the use the fertilizer…

31 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Depends what you do with the squirrel. What have you got against shagging anyway?

brew-dog.jpg

35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Read somewhere that there are fewer gun owners in America than there used to be, but people who still own them have shitloads of them, so the overall number of guns keeps going up.

Aye, I seem to remember reading the average number of guns, in households that have them, is between three and four. Considering that most gun owners would likely only have one firearm, that surely means there are a whole bunch of fruitcakes with armouries. And I'd guess that doesn't include unregistered guns either, as how would you know?

America's fucked when the militias properly kick off and decide to overthrow the government.

Cos they keep getting shot, presumably

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I seem to remember reading the average number of guns, in households that have them, is between three and four. Considering that most gun owners would likely only have one firearm, that surely means there are a whole bunch of fruitcakes with armouries. And I'd guess that doesn't include unregistered guns either, as how would you know?

America's fucked when the militias properly kick off and decide to overthrow the government.

“Unregistered guns” are, de facto, almost all guns in the US. While a check is conducted upon sale, there are no solid records kept of who has what except when dealing with NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons (automatic guns, machine guns, silencers, etc). Also, a large number of States don’t require private sales to conduct a background check.

A goodly number of people have several firearms, such as a home defense weapon (pistol or short-barrel shotgun), a hunting rifle, a hunting shotgun, a target rifle, a carry pistol/revolver, etc. Two gun and three gun matches (pistol and rifle, for instance) are popular, and a collector may well have a dozen plus older rifles or pistols, all counting. Demographically, the single gun owners skew heavily to the urban and suburban areas, owning a single defensive pistol/revolver.

As for the armed militias, meh. Most are ineffective groups who never practice, know no tactics and would never follow orders. Survivalists might be a minor threat, but the military would wipe the floor with the militias.

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

“Unregistered guns” are, de facto, almost all guns in the US. While a check is conducted upon sale, there are no solid records kept of who has what except when dealing with NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons (automatic guns, machine guns, silencers, etc). Also, a large number of States don’t require private sales to conduct a background check.

Saw a short documentary or news segment about the federal bureau who keep the records, and by law they have to stay in paper form, no digitising, and because of underfunding they can't keep them in air tight rooms, so they get mouldy quickly. So when a rural Sherriff or the FBI want to check the reg number on a murder weapon they don't click on a screen and the list of previous owners come up, someone has to go into a basement and find out if the paperwork is still legible. You never see that on CSI.

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

I was hoping it wasnt too niche. Well done Midge. 

Pretty topical given some of the disgraceful ignorance of The Simpsons glory days that has been evident on other threads of late. 

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Saw a short documentary or news segment about the federal bureau who keep the records, and by law they have to stay in paper form, no digitising, and because of underfunding they can't keep them in air tight rooms, so they get mouldy quickly. So when a rural Sherriff or the FBI want to check the reg number on a murder weapon they don't click on a screen and the list of previous owners come up, someone has to go into a basement and find out if the paperwork is still legible.

I saw that too! Maybe a John Oliver video?

I'm not sure if @TxRover's answer to what I said is more or less terrifying than what I originally posited  :lol:

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I saw that too! Maybe a John Oliver video?

I'm not sure if @TxRover's answer to what I said is more or less terrifying than what I originally posited  :lol:

Think it was a bit longer than Oliver usually allows, and no jokes, but maybe.

41 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Saw a short documentary or news segment about the federal bureau who keep the records, and by law they have to stay in paper form, no digitising, and because of underfunding they can't keep them in air tight rooms, so they get mouldy quickly. So when a rural Sherriff or the FBI want to check the reg number on a murder weapon they don't click on a screen and the list of previous owners come up, someone has to go into a basement and find out if the paperwork is still legible. You never see that on CSI.

Worse, it’s an old decaying building, the storage is often shipping containers in the yard, and there were two or three total employees.

My neighbour is about 50 and always decent chat over the fence etc. He has a few late nights etc and plays some radio out the back but never any hassle. Decent music taste actually.

The neighbours to the other side and over the back seem to single him out though and give him a hard time. The wife over the back told him to be quiet in his garden at 8.30pm on a Saturday night, he was sitting listening to Bowie with a can at moderate volume at best. I've got 2 wee kids so he always asks if he wasn't loud or annoying etc (which he isnt).

Sometimes the over sensitive curtain twitchers can be just as unbearable in their own way.

Sometimes the over sensitive curtain twitchers can be just as unbearable in their own way.

Curtain twitchers are by far the worst neighbours you can have, not to mention they're almost exclusively auld cows that spread gossip about everyone and everything that they see in their daily routine as a nosey b*****d.

By law, every scheme has to have one full-time mummy who spends her day hanging out of an upstairs window, yelling at the local weans to stop having fun, and confronting anyone unfamiliar about why they're in her street.