Last Book You Read....

H_B

21 hours ago, Taxman said:

Just finished Brookmyre's latest, Want You Gone, featuring that well known anti-hero Jack Parlabane.  A damn good read.

Same! 

I'm starting to spot the odd twist in his novels now before the reveal, which probably comes from having read so much of his work but there's still a good few surprises that I never saw coming here. The man never fails to write a great story. 

20 hours ago, Ross. said:

Said it before on here and will say it again. I just cannot take to Cormac McCarthy, despite really trying to.

I downloaded a few things I have been meaning to get round to for a while after seeing them mentioned in this thread. Currently reading "Killing Pablo" with a few Owen Jones efforts and a bit of Murakami for afters.

Outwith The Road and No Country for Old Men, both of which I really enjoyed, I can't really get into his stuff. I read the Border Trilogy and other than All The Pretty Horses, most of it was a struggle to get through. I needed quite a lot of stamina to get through The Crossing and couldn't get into Cities of the Plain and gave up on it. I also patched Outer Dark after a couple of chapters.

I'm reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger just now. This is the first work of Salinger's I've read since The Catcher in the Rye and I'm taken aback by how good a writer he is. He really has a brilliant ear for speech and recreating the middle-class ennui of his characters. Very enjoyable so far.

Only time I recall preferring a film to the book was The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. The Daniel Craig version of the film was watchable. The book was utter pish bar a small section of 150-200 pages where the entire story happened. The other few hundred pages were pointless. In my opinion anyway.

I can think of quite a few. Trainspotting, a clockwork orange, the Godfather, Fight Club, Brokeback Mountain, most the James Bond's all spring to mind of times I preferred the film.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Outwith The Road and No Country for Old Men, both of which I really enjoyed, I can't really get into his stuff. I read the Border Trilogy and other than All The Pretty Horses, most of it was a struggle to get through. I needed quite a lot of stamina to get through The Crossing and couldn't get into Cities of the Plain and gave up on it. I also patched Outer Dark after a couple of chapters.

I've read the Border Trilogy, The Road, Child of God and Blood Meridian. Just couldn't take to him at all.

I've read all of the Reacher novels and some I found very good and some read very much like he had a deadline to publish a book so fired one out. They are very much to the action hero formula but the films have taken the enigma of the character out of the books. They're an easy read.

I've read all of the Reacher novels and some I found very good and some read very much like he had a deadline to publish a book so fired one out. They are very much to the action hero formula but the films have taken the enigma of the character out of the books. They're an easy read.

I love the Reacher novels.

Not as much as the Bosch novels though. They're all amazing IMO.

19 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

That's a lot of someone to read before deciding you don't like him.

Pretty sure HMV or FOPP had his books going cheap, 2 quid a go or something. Used to go in and pretty much buy everything they had when they were that price.

Edited by Ross.

22 hours ago, Ross. said:

Pretty sure HMV or FOPP had his books going cheap, 2 quid a go or something. Used to go in and pretty much buy everything they had when they were that price.

I got a used copy of The Crossing from amazon a few months ago and there was a Fopp receipt folded over inside it for a similar price. If only I'd cared when this was still a thing.

On 5/5/2017 at 12:05, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'm reading Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger just now. This is the first work of Salinger's I've read since The Catcher in the Rye and I'm taken aback by how good a writer he is. He really has a brilliant ear for speech and recreating the middle-class ennui of his characters. Very enjoyable so far.

Franny and Zooey wasn't all that great. It was brilliantly written and the characters were well rendered but 'Zooey', a novella, essentially amounted to two long conversations between a man and his mum and then his sister. It reminded me a bit of the pool security guard sketch in The Day Today. I don't think I could recommend it.

I have moved on to How To Be Both by Ali Smith. I feel as though I don't read enough books written by women and this was recommended to me by an unsuccessful Tinder who I'm still on friendly terms with. I'm several pages in and I'm not sure I like it.

On 05/05/2017 at 20:54, BigBo10 said:

I think you've maybe hit the nail on the head with the problem I'm having with the book, i just see Tom cruise everytime I'm reading it, not a powerful imposing figure which is JR.

, dreadful choice to play him in all honesty, even though as stand alone films they aren't bad.

I noticed the other day that [mention=48520]Tommy Nooka[/mention] was reading Pearl Jam Twenty - any thoughts? I found it much more informative and worthwhile than the film which was a fan service filled mess.
Anyway
That's Your Lot by Limmy. I can't decide if it's morbid, world-weary or pathetic.

I'm still reading it at the moment. I got it years ago and moved house before I got a chance to read it, been in a box all that time.
Picking it up at night and reading little bits at a time, very good so far. Enjoying the photos as much as the text tbh!

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 16:24, Ross. said:

Thanks to this post I ended up in Fopp today and bought Breakfast of Champions, The Sound and the Fury, The Plague and Outer Dark for a tenner

I hate and love you in equal measure

4 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Thanks to this post I ended up in Fopp today and bought Breakfast of Champions, The Sound and the Fury, The Plague and Outer Dark for a tenner

I hate and love you in equal measure

I'm back home in a month or so and fully intend on doing the same. Your ambivalence to my existence is flattering and meaningless in similar measures.

It was always very easily done in there. I bought copies of The Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment for a quid each during one visit, simply because I reckoned they must have cost more to print and distribute than I was paying to get hold of them. Took the best part of 2 years to get through them too. Can't argue with that kind of value for money...

Edited by Ross.