Last Book You Read....

H_B

1 hour ago, Chris_DK said:

Any good drug smuggling/britains in jail abroad books on the go? (Yes I was fascinated with Banged Up Abroad) 

I've read Paul Keaney's book (he did an episode of BUA) and also David McMillan's Escape. 

Not that I'm touting for a "holiday in the sun", or anything. 

Have you read Mr Nice? Must have come out in late 90s when he was a bit of a cult figure in Loaded etc for his incredible life story. 

230543.jpg

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

A brilliant read, good recommendation. His book 'Dope Smoking Stories' is also a good read.

Agree on Mr Nice. How much of it is true and how much of it he dreamed up is something I always wondered. The follow up to it "Senor Nice" is also worth reading, it's about his life after release from prison. He is a very good narrator.

The Book of Dope Stories had his name on it but wasn't actually written by him, IIRC. He told a couple of his own stories, added a few he had heard about others, and let the publishers add in the rest.

I went to see him do a talk at Oran Mor 6 or 7 years back. There was a hell of a mix as far as the crowd goes. At one point it looked like there would be a fight or two kicking off when he voiced his support for the IRA and said he understood the reason they took to armed conflict.

18 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Agree on Mr Nice. How much of it is true and how much of it he dreamed up is something I always wondered. The follow up to it "Senor Nice" is also worth reading, it's about his life after release from prison. He is a very good narrator.

The Book of Dope Stories had his name on it but wasn't actually written by him, IIRC. He told a couple of his own stories, added a few he had heard about others, and let the publishers add in the rest.

I went to see him do a talk at Oran Mor 6 or 7 years back. There was a hell of a mix as far as the crowd goes. At one point it looked like there would be a fight or two kicking off when he voiced his support for the IRA and said he understood the reason they took to armed conflict.

Their weed clearly wasn't strong enough.

On loosely related tangent, the Oran Mor is the only place I've been chucked out of for smoking green........at a Supergrass concert!!  :1eye

I was fucking idiot though and deserved it.

Edited by Tommy Nooka

Any good drug smuggling/britains in jail abroad books on the go? (Yes I was fascinated with Banged Up Abroad) 

I've read Paul Keaney's book (he did an episode of BUA) and also David McMillan's Escape. 

Not that I'm touting for a "holiday in the sun", or anything. 

Marching Powder by Rusty Young is a good read. Written by a journalist who visits a brit locked up in la Paz in Bolivia for drug smuggling. It's as much about the craziness of the jail as much as it is about the guy locked up.

28 minutes ago, spud131 said:

Marching Powder by Rusty Young is a good read. Written by a journalist who visits a brit locked up in la Paz in Bolivia for drug smuggling. It's as much about the craziness of the jail as much as it is about the guy locked up.

Aye Paul Keaney's book is like that. Even explains that he got raped before he even went to Los Tequas.

Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Muslim party wins the 2022 French election against Le Pen. The protagonist explores the change in his life rather than society as a whole. Not diatribe against such an future as protagonist is fairly c'est la vie about it. Good read & translation. Hope to read more of his works though he seems an arse tbh.

3 hours ago, ThomCat said:

Submission by Michel Houellebecq. Muslim party wins the 2022 French election against Le Pen. The protagonist explores the change in his life rather than society as a whole. Not diatribe against such an future as protagonist is fairly c'est la vie about it. Good read & translation. Hope to read more of his works though he seems an arse tbh.

He is very self deprecating in a lot of his work. He seems to know he is an arse, is unashamedly and arse and takes the piss out of himself for being an arse.

The Map and the Territory was decent. Atomised was worthwhile but not quite as good as the other two mentioned, for me anyway.

Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser

Racist, sexist, ludicrous, hilarious, and worth noting for the following passage:

I got a tightness in my throat and a trembling in my hands that was quite apart from what the clergy call carnal appetites. It was the feeling I had experienced that first night I rattled her beside the Clyde - a kind of hunger for her presence and the sound of her voice and the dreamy stupidity of her blue eyes.

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 09:29, ThomCat said:

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 12:49, Ross. said:

He is very self deprecating in a lot of his work. He seems to know he is an arse, is unashamedly and arse and takes the piss out of himself for being an arse.

The Map and the Territory was decent. Atomised was worthwhile but not quite as good as the other two mentioned, for me anyway.

I've read most of his books. Atomised is my favourite closely followed by Platform and Whatever.

All entertains reads although his angry, sexualy frustrated middle aged man shtick is starting to feel a bit too close to the bone for comfort.

Finished Eric Ambler's 'Uncommon Danger'.  It was well written if brainless fun, the sort of novel where the super villian leaves the heroes to slowly suffocate in a vulcanizing rubber chamber instead of, you know, shooting them in the head.

Lots of coincidences and unlikely deduction but it's not to be taken too seriously.

Not sure if there was enough there for me to ever read another Ambler novel but a nice, easy read that was actually quite exciting at the end.

Might try and seek out the 1943 film version. Always interesting to read a book and then watch the film.

2 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Currently halfway through Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks. Had meant to try some of his sci fi for ages and it's enjoyable enough as far as sci fi goes but can't say I'm finding it particularly earth-shattering.

They get better.

4 minutes ago, The DA said:

Aye but not for another 400 years.

I like the one where a student exo-anthropologist goes for study experience with a being the size of a small planet, has a bit of an accident, and wakes up after the galaxy has moved an entire revolution; 500 million years.