Last Book You Read....

H_B

On 12/8/2016 at 11:35, Ross. said:

Fired up the e-reader last night and put a few Roddy Doyle books on it. Not read any of his stuff before but have seen The Commitments, which was one of the books I bought as they were on a decent deal. Anyone much to say on his work?

I've read The Barrytown Trilogy, guy in work gave me a copy.

The Commitments was enjoyable stuff, The Snapper was even better but I was expecting more from The Van as I really liked the film.

I've also read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha which has some very funny parts (stealing knickers from the washing line) but other bits are quite dark, worth a read but it's certainly not 'light'.

29 minutes ago, Tommy Nooka said:

I've read The Barrytown Trilogy, guy in work gave me a copy.

The Commitments was enjoyable stuff, The Snapper was even better but I was expecting more from The Van as I really liked the film.

I've also read Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha which has some very funny parts (stealing knickers from the washing line) but other bits are quite dark, worth a read but it's certainly not 'light'.

I finished The Commitments at lunch time. Found the book difficult to follow at times due to the fairly haphazard and chaotic writing style that seemed to go from one person to the next without much in the way of grammatical format. Amusing but nothing like as funny as the film. Started on The Snapper, which seems a lot better in terms of structure. The Van was also part of the deal, which was the Barry Town Trilogy, Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha and I think a book called "2 Pints" which cost me about 12 quid for the 5. It'll keep me going for a week or two while I try to remember what else I want to read.

• 4 weeks later...

Ian Rankin - Rather Be The Devil (latest Rebus book

Spoiler

Ending more Hollywood than Holyrood but very satisfying. Rebus and Big Ger look set to get their second wind and a short story at the end hints at a possible tangent of more of Big Ger's back story. 

Carl Hiaasen - Razor Girl

Hadn't read any of his stuff for many years and was pleased and how seamlessly he fits in modern technology and points of reference. 

Elmore Leonard - Swag 

Quite similar to Hiaasen but with the surreal stuff toned down. Cool guys, sassy chicks, heist capers.

Alexander McCall Smith - No.1 Ladies Detective Agency.

Same lad - Tears of the Giraffe.

The whole TV series thing passed me by, but these books are good. I'd been working my way through various Nigel Tranter books so these were a good change of direction. Mma Ramotswe is a private detective in Botswana. Clients come in and see her and she takes on their cases. Enjoyable reading.

Just started The Centurions by Jean Larteguy.

Carl Hiaasen - Razor Girl
Hadn't read any of his stuff for many years and was pleased and how seamlessly he fits in modern technology and points of reference. 

I just finished this a wee while ago. Love CH's stuff, you know exactly what you're going to get.
You should read Bad Monkey, it's also about Andrew Yancy but has some funnier scenes than Razor Girl imo. The crack smoking monkey for one!

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 11:57, Tommy Nooka said:

I just finished this a wee while ago. Love CH's stuff, you know exactly what you're going to get.
You should read Bad Monkey, it's also about Andrew Yancy but has some funnier scenes than Razor Girl imo. The crack smoking monkey for one!

Just finished reading Razor Girl the other day, great stuff but Bad Monkey is hilarious.

On 1/2/2017 at 10:32, Scary Bear said:

The whole TV series thing passed me by, but these books are good. I'd been working my way through various Nigel Tranter books so these were a good change of direction. Mma Ramotswe is a private detective in Botswana. Clients come in and see her and she takes on their cases. Enjoyable reading.

I never got into his other stuff but I enjoyed the Ladies Detective Agency series. Gentle but but funny. He seems to capture the lingo so well.

Edited by Shandon Par

Just finished reading Razor Girl the other day, great stuff but Bad Monkey is hilarious.

I thought Bad Monkey almost verged on Tim Dorsey excess, but Razor Girl restored my faith in my favourite Floridian writer.

Recently, I've read a few by Linwood Barclay, and quite enjoyed his kind of Coben-lite thrillers. Recommend of you don't want to be challenged too much.

I thought Bad Monkey almost verged on Tim Dorsey excess, but Razor Girl restored my faith in my favourite Floridian writer.

I have no idea who Tim Dorsey is but we are talking about the same Carl Hiaasen that had a guy with a strimmer for an arm in his earlier 'less excessive' works yes? [emoji1]

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 10:32, Scary Bear said:

Read loads of Nigel Tranter years ago, especially the Bruce Trilogy.

I have no idea who Tim Dorsey is but we are talking about the same Carl Hiaasen that had a guy with a strimmer for an arm in his earlier 'less excessive' works yes? [emoji1]

You mean Chemo? Yep that's yer man.
Dorsey reads like someone who read Native Tongue and thought, "Not bad, could do with more MH issues and substance abuse." Entertaining enough in his own way, but CH has much more of an eco-theme to most of his work, which seems heart-felt and add to the feeling of authenticity you get from his work. Some of his newspaper columns detail events and characters you'd never dare make up!

1 hour ago, Taxman said:

Read loads of Nigel Tranter years ago, especially the Bruce Trilogy.

I've got The Bruce Trilogy sitting on my bookshelf ready to be read.  But a thousand pages is a wee bit off-putting.  

Still, a journey of a thousand pages begins with an 'ah, f**k it - I think I'll browse P&B for another twenty minutes instead'.

BTW I bought the first volume back in the 70s but my gran read it first and locked it away in the 'this depravity is not for you, young man' cupboard.  Can't wait to get to that bit!

Last book I read was The Sixth Watch by Sergey Lukyanenko. Re-read the entire watch series from Night Watch in anticipation of the latest (final) instalment.

I got a job lot of ice hockey books - player biographies and history books - at Christmas. Started on a book about the NHL original 6. Will be moving on to The Rebel League about the World Hockey Association that was set up as a rival to the NHL in the 1970s when I'm done.