Last Book You Read....

H_B

Ended up putting Ilan Pappe's book down and forgetting about.

Finished Childhood's End.  First sci-fi novel I have read and it was cracking.  Really enoyed it.

Turned into a mini series with Charles Dance and Colm Meaney

Not available on Region 2 DVD though

I'm slowly working my way through A Brief History Of Seven Killings by Marlon James, We by Yevgeny Zamyatin and 11.22.63 by Stephen King at the moment. I've almost hit stalemate on all three of them though. I just can't concentrate on a book these days... 

The last book I finished was Submission by Michel Houllebecq. I'd been looking forward to it as I love some of his earlier novels but I found this one the be kinda disappointing. There'd been a fair bit of hype surrounding this as it satirizes the rise of Islamic extremism in France and the author has been under police protection since the Charlie Hebdoe killings last year. But despite all the controversy I found the book to be fairly weak, not nearly as hard hitting as I expected. 

Just finished Fatherland by Robert Harris - excellent book.

This one is well worth a read if you like Scottish history and adventure: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodright-Craig-Kennedy-ebook/dp/B01DV7ODM4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1463651204&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodright

I read that a few months back - currently reading his "The Ghost" about a thinly-veiled Tony Blair being interviewed for his memoirs by a ghostwriter (the previous one having been bumped off).

His Cicero books are the best of his I've read, though.

• 1 month later...

Rum Punch, by Elmore Leonard

It's the book Tarantino turned into Jackie Brown. Reminded me of Carl Hiaasen's stuff - Florida scumbags, black humour, OTT characters. Gripping but really funny.

I love Elmore Leonard, he wrote Get Shorty too. Even his old Westerns are good, a genre I wouldn't normally venture into, 3.10 to Yuma was one of his.

The Hunger Games

Not much of a reader but gave this a shot on holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Having not seen any of the films I was a complete newbie to the series but the concept is fantastic and I can't wait to read the rest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Read a few in the last month or so.

Ian Rankin - The Hanging Garden. Standard Rebus fair, solid read as always.

Irvine Welsh - The Blade Artist. Maybe a little cliched in bits but well worth reading.

Michel Houellebecq - Submission. Best of the three and thoroughly enjoyable read.

post-36861-1467715814391_thumb.jpg

City Of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

Final instalment of a trilogy including The Passage and The Twelve.

Loved these books although they're a bit of a commitment coming in at about 800 pages each.

Apocalyptic story involving the creation of 'virals', humans infected by a virus which turn them into vampires although they are unlike any kind of vampire you've read about before.

The books continually skip from the present day into the future and back again. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you settle into it the pages fly by.

Thoroughly recommend!

attachicon.gif1467715813729.jpg

City Of Mirrors by Justin Cronin

Final instalment of a trilogy including The Passage and The Twelve.

Loved these books although they're a bit of a commitment coming in at about 800 pages each.

Apocalyptic story involving the creation of 'virals', humans infected by a virus which turn them into vampires although they are unlike any kind of vampire you've read about before.

The books continually skip from the present day into the future and back again. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you settle into it the pages fly by.

Thoroughly recommend!

I keep meaning to get round to reading The Passage, it didn't help that I was already reading a Vampire saga that, funnily enough, starts with a book called Twelve, Jasper Kents - Danilov Quintet. If you have any interest in vampires or Russian history I'd strongly recommend it, I enjoyed learning about 19th century Russia just as much as the supernatural stuff.

Just finished Alastair Reynolds Chasm City which was great but couldn't help comparing it to Iain M Banks - Use of Weapons once the plot twist became strongly hinted at. I'll definitely be reading more of Reynolds stuff though.

Reading Joe Hills The Fireman at the moment and I wouldn't have batted an eyelid if this book had Stephen king on the front instead, he's definitely his fathers son and (so far) this book seems to be his 'The Stand'

Anyone recommend any decent horrors to get on my kindle? Read the vast majority of King etc. Looking for something just a little different.

NO54RTU by Joe Hill is pretty good. He's Stephen King's son so its pretty much in the same vein (and there are a few cheeky cross references to characters and events from Kings stuff), also features a genuinely horrible bad character.

On 19 June 2016 at 19:13, welshbairn said:

I love Elmore Leonard, he wrote Get Shorty too. Even his old Westerns are good, a genre I wouldn't normally venture into, 3.10 to Yuma was one of his.

Just started Tishomingo Blues - hooked already.

White Jazz should be arriving in the post tomorrow - will then have got through all that quartet. 

Madame Bovary.

The "staff pick" tag in Waterstones described it as a story about "a brave woman who tries to free herself from a failed relationship".
I would describe it as a story about "a stupid woman who is greedy, reckless and selfish".

For what it's worth I was slightly disappointed by it. Fantastic book, but I'm not sure its in the same league as Anna Karenina.