Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished The Undesired by Yrsa Sigurdardottir. First of her grown up books that doesn't feature a case for lawyer Thora Gudmundsdottir. Lot of jumping from the present back to 1974 but a worthwhile read. Next is Christopher Brookmyre's Black Widow.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Almost nothing is, to be fair.

Indeed. I'm not that well read, but I've been trying to consume most of the novels which consistently feature in "All Time Top 10" lists, I had high hopes for Bovary. Karenina's one of those pieces of art which makes you wonder why anyone else even bothers.

I finished The Good Soldier @svejk and his Adventures in the Great War the other day. Some aspects are brilliant. It's good fun and it's take on war is certainly a different one from the norm. Svejk himself is a great character. I can see why Heller said that Catch 22 would have never been written without it. At 750 pages It doesn't half drag on though, and Hasek died before finishing it. So after a few hundred pages once I got the gist of it I did start to wonder why I was bothering to read another few hundred of a book with no ending.

Finished Blood, Salt, Water by Denise Mina last night. Fairly typical Scottish crime story, sex, drugs and violence set in Helensburgh. 

Also finished Ghettoside by Jill Leovy earlier in the week. Pretty grim report on black murder rates in the States with one case involving a police officer's son being the central theme.

Enough of crime for now, just about to start Tracey Thorn's second book, Naked In The Albert Hall.

All above books were borrowed from the local public library. I;m not sure how things are in other areas regarding libraries but it seems like a case of 'use it or lose it' in North Ayrshire. Opening hours have been cut recently and it wouldn't surprise me if the local authorities were to close branches next.

Back on topic of actual books, has anyone read much Ernest Hemingway? I was looking for a copy of The Old Man and The Sea but was a bit put off by the price in Waterstones. Instead I've ordered a collection of eight of his books from eBay for under £12.

4 hours ago, ICTChris said:

My mate has had his book published, you can buy it here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinite-Ground-Martin-MacInnes/dp/178239947X

That looks promising, I'll maybe pick it up once it comes out as paperback.

I finished "Between the Woods and the Water" the other day. It's the middle book of Patrick Leigh Fermor's three part account of his interwar trip from the Netherlands to Istanbul as an eighteen year old. This part covers Hungary and Romania. He's mainly hanging out with Archdukes and Counts which makes for great fun but I enjoyed his interactions with gypsies and peasants more. There's plenty of background history in it, he wrote the book some forty years after the trip and in the meantime he certainly did his research and perfected his writing skills.

It's not fascinating travel writing, in that the story doesn't involve extreme conditions or remote exploration but it's very well written and forms a great picture of what Hungary and Romania were like after the dissolution of Austria-Hungary and just as the Nazi Party were turning the screw.

Enjoyable read, would recommend.

• 5 weeks later...
On 23 July 2016 at 21:25, Tommy Nooka said:

I picked up the first 3 Shardlake books on Amazon for £3 a few weeks ago. Gave them to my mum to read just now, will need to get them back soon!

Been reading The Magicians by Lev Grossman at the moment on a recommendation, not very impressed so far, feels like it's trying too hard to be an edgy Harry Potter.

They found the Erebus, don't think they've found the Terror yet.

No one will ever know what actually happened to the men though. Some human remains have been found and were cleverly wove into Simmons novel.

They've now found The Terror:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/12/hms-terror-wreck-found-arctic-nearly-170-years-northwest-passage-attempt

Been taking me ages to get through White Jazz. I've read all the James Ellroy books out of sync and this is my last one. It's incredible how much his style has improved from then to now. Looking forward to the follow up to Perfidia whenever it arrives. 

Also listening to Anna Karenina on an audio book. Not really one to listen to in the gym but goes very well with gentle chores etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Sea Fever by Sam Jefferson

SEA FEVER.jpg

Excellent book telling the true events that inspired the 'great' maritime/nautical authors. Got quite a list of books I want to read now thanks to 'Sea Fever' but first I've got this to read ...

BEAST.jpg

Edited by mighty meadow

On 13/09/2016 at 16:19, Shandon Par said:

Been taking me ages to get through White Jazz. I've read all the James Ellroy books out of sync and this is my last one. It's incredible how much his style has improved from then to now. Looking forward to the follow up to Perfidia whenever it arrives. 

Also listening to Anna Karenina on an audio book. Not really one to listen to in the gym but goes very well with gentle chores etc. 

He's brought out a charming coffee table book of 1950's crime scene photos to keep you going..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lapd-53-James-Ellroy/dp/1419715852/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1474621953&sr=1-1&keywords=lapd+53#customerReviews