Last Book You Read....

H_B

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading "The End of the Cold War 1985 - 1990".

Pretty good.

ETA - Although I'm pretty sure I can already forecast the ending.

Edited by Dindeleux

I'm worried that I won't get a chance to read the sequel. Working title 'Putin Pushes The Button'.

To be fair GD I wouldn't imagine you will be here to read many more books regardless of what button Putin hits.

To be fair GD I wouldn't imagine you will be here to read many more books regardless of what button Putin hits.

Have you ever heard the saying 'the good die young'? I'll be around for a few years yet.

Not done much reading recently, as a result of her buying me an e reader that I can't take to and me downloading a few apps to help me work on my German while I'm on the train to work instead. Decided I better use the Christmas present though and just downloaded a few things.

Couple of Charles Cumming efforts(The Hidden Man, A Spy by Nature), Stuart Macbride's "Cold Granite", Sebastian Barry's "The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty" and Hugh McIlvanney's "Walking Wounded".

Should keep me going for a few weeks.

Novels somewhat sidetracked lately as I've been reading back over Seamus Heaney's poems. He is undoubtedly one of my favourite poets. 

I plan to start The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald in the coming week. After that, I'll be getting my teeth into some more Sebastian Barry, mainly because I was so impressed by The Secret Scripture - a book I would happily recommend to anybody. 

• 3 weeks later...

Not done much reading recently, as a result of her buying me an e reader that I can't take to and me downloading a few apps to help me work on my German while I'm on the train to work instead. Decided I better use the Christmas present though and just downloaded a few things.

Couple of Charles Cumming efforts(The Hidden Man, A Spy by Nature), Stuart Macbride's "Cold Granite", Sebastian Barry's "The Whereabouts of Eneas McNulty" and Hugh McIlvanney's "Walking Wounded".

Should keep me going for a few weeks.

Read 3 of them so far. A Spy by Nature was decent, Walking Wounded was very enjoyable, and Cold Granite was very disappointing.

Is it worth reading more of Stuart MacBride or are they all as predictable and cliche ridden?

Is it worth reading more of Stuart MacBride or are they all as predictable and cliche ridden?

He has a Sci fi book set in Glasgow.

It's called Halfhead and it's under Stewart B. MacBride.

I really enjoyed it, although I'm a bit of a Sci fi fan.

James Ellroy - Blood's a Rover

Usual top quality American noir/crime fiction but with added voodoo. The sections on J Edgar Hoover are so warped and funny. 

Also just about finished Malcolm Mackay's Glasgow Trilogy (The Necessary Death of Lewis Winter, How A Gunman Says Goodbye and The Sudden Arrival of Violence). Concise writing style that unsettles with the casual approach of the characters to life and death. Worth getting hold of them if you're a fan of Rebus or other Scottish crime novels. There's no big personalities like Rebus or Cafferty - more of a study of the grubby workings of underworld figures. 

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the holidays, I've had a few road trips to Norwich over the last while so I've started using Audible more and more.  Loving the Scottish Crime stuff from the likes of Stuart McBride and James Oswald.  Easy listening adventure stuff from Clive Cussler also helps pass the time.

If anyone is a fan or would like to give sci-fi a try Amazon are selling Peter F Hamiltons - The Void Trilogy (3 very big books) for £2.65 with Prime.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-F-Hamilton-Void-Trilogy/dp/1447293819?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=ho01f-21

That's an incredible bargain, cheaper than the postage when you buy a 1p second hand paper back. It will be a while before I start on it, just in the middle of Reality Dysfunction which I'm getting right into after slagging off Fallen Dragon. Thanks for the tip.

That's an incredible bargain, cheaper than the postage when you buy a 1p second hand paper back. It will be a while before I start on it, just in the middle of Reality Dysfunction which I'm getting right into after slagging off Fallen Dragon. Thanks for the tip.

No probs. His books are BIG so I thought that it had to be a mis-price but 'something' has been dispatched already.

I can see why you would/could criticise Hamiltons books but he always does great things in his stories which make me forget all the bad bits.

The Void Trilogy is set in the Commonwealth Universe which has 2 earlier books, Pandoras Star and Judas Unchained (I'm about halfway through this one atm), I've read that you should be alright with The Void trilogy without reading the first 2.......but speaking from my own experience, the events in those novels are so major I don't see how it couldn't influence any future stories.