Last Book You Read....

H_B

Currently reading a book called Ready Player One.

Basically it's a mix between the Matrix and Willy Wonka as the quote on the front cover states.

Very heavy on its nods to the 80s which was the main reason I purchased it. Basically it's set in 2044 and the world is ravaged, so most people spend their lives hooked into the online OASIS which is basically a virtual reality with thousands of planets and life is pretty much lived on there. The owner of the system has just died and he has no heirs, so what he done before his death was set up a quest and the winner will inherit his multi million fortune which some people believe isn't real due to it's difficulty as 5 years have passed and there hasn't been a sniff of a clue. The lead character finds the first clue which leads to everyone in the world willing to murder etc to inherit this world just because of how poor the quality of life is on Earth.

I've not finished it but very interesting concept and it's an easy enough pick up and put down.

That is going to be my next book after I've finished the 3rd book in the Silo series. Fancied it for ages and downloaded it a few days ago.

Bliss To Be Alive - Gavin Hills

410J1Y21MEL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've been reading this collection of articles written by the now deceased Face magazine journalist Gavin Hills. There some pretty interesting stuff, covering such diverse topics as football hooliganism, the dance music scene, interail travel and various political issues of the time. Some of it is very dated, but he did die in 1997, so that's to be expected.

"Lustrum" by Robert Harris - the second of his Cicero novels, about life in the last years of the Roman Republic, from the POV of consul and scholar Cicero's slave.

The third in the trilogy ("Dictator") has just been released, so I'll have to pick it up in hardcover.

Thoroughly recommend these books!

Quite Ugly One Morning, Chris Brookmyre. A birthday gift from my son and a good page turner, if you can suspend belief regarding the unlikely tale. This was my first Brookmyre - I believe it was his debut novel. Thanks, Albino!

Most welcome. Glad you liked it.

Despite being a big SK fan I actually saw the movie before reading the book and I was underwhelmed tbh then read the book a few years later, it's has much greater 'supernatural' feel than the Kubrick 'insanity' movie and it just worked better imo.

It was nice that Danny and Dick(pan bread in the movie) made a reappearance in Doctor Sleep which I also enjoyed.

I'm a big fan too, read most of his stuff but did not enjoy Doctor Sleep.

Quite Ugly One Morning, Chris Brookmyre. A birthday gift from my son and a good page turner, if you can suspend belief regarding the unlikely tale. This was my first Brookmyre - I believe it was his debut novel. Thanks, Albino!

If you plan on reading more of his stuff, it's probably best to read them in order. While in a lot of cases it won't make the books less enjoyable, a lot of the characters and incidents are reused and referred to later. Can make some things make a bit more sense..

I finished Child 44, which was excellent.

Now reading "Life or Death" by Michael Robotham. Enjoyable so far. First of his books I have read.

I'm a big fan too, read most of his stuff but did not enjoy Doctor Sleep.

I think I'm easily pleased when it comes to anything SK related, I liked Revival and Finders Keepers too.

I also really enjoyed NOS4A2 (could have been a bit shorter) which has crossover(y) elements.

I'm shocked at the dislike for The Shining. I love the film and the book and I'd seen the film first.

I think the biggest scare in the book isn't in the film - the bit in the sandbox - for anyone that knows what I'm talking about.

I also enjoyed the layered back story of Jack's abusive drinking past.

That said I also loved the mini series and most on here thought that was dreadful, so perhaps it's just me.

Just finished Lee Child's latest Reacher. I liked it a lot. Typical Reacher story. You know what you are going to get but it is a bit of escapism. Just going to start Bill Brysons The Road to Little Dribbling. It is the follow up to the brilliant Notes from a Small Island. Hard to believe that was 20 years ago.

Edited by capybara

capybara, on 17 Oct 2015 - 14:38, said:

Just finished Lee Child's latest Reacher. I liked it a lot. Typical Reacher story. You know what you are going to get but it is a bit of escapism.

I've always preferred his small town conspiracy type stories compared to the globe trotting ones and road ones he does.

Finished Iain Banks' Stonemouth last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit, finished it in a couple of days, probably because it was a considerably 'lighter' read than my previous book Existence by David Brin.

Despite having the feeling their wasn't much actually happening in the story it kept me interested and had quite an 'explosive' finale. His SF books have much more going on, a bit too much for some people but I think that's why i like them.

Just started reading V for vandetta which I loaned from the library,it's a shame Moore didn't think to go a little further into the future. The story is set in 1997 and a facist government has been in power for about 10 years.

I reckon he was just a tad pessimistic with that kind of outlook in the early 80's. :lol:

Just finished reading The Cartel by Don Winslow. I can't recommend this highly enough. Brutal at times but absolutely engrossing particularly so when you realise that some of the most gruesome parts of the book are based on real events.

Before that I read The Power of the Dog which was the prequel to the above. Once again, highly recommended. Two of the best books I've read in a long time.

This month I have also read Wind / Pinball by Haruki Murakami which is an omnibus edition of his first two novels, Hear The Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973. I don't know what it is about him but I love Murakami's style of writing although it's easy to see why some people just don't rate him.

Finally, I read The Strange Library also by Murakami which I picked up in the library not realising it was an illustrated children's novella.

Now reading another by Don Winslow, Savages which was made into a film in 2012. Just started this one and although it is another one based on the Mexican drug cartels it doesn't seem like it's going to be as in depth as the previous books I mentioned.

Finished Iain Banks' Stonemouth last night. Enjoyed it quite a bit, finished it in a couple of days, probably because it was a considerably 'lighter' read than my previous book Existence by David Brin.

I liked 'Stonemouth'. Did you watch the BBC adaptation? How do you think they compared?