Last Book You Read....

H_B

I've not read any of the Dark Tower series either but I've never fancied it for some reason. On the petty side, I'm not sure I can buy into character names like Gunslinger etc. Am I truly missing out? Is it a must read?

Also, any good dark thrillers/chillers someone could recommend? Fed up of getting into a decent premise of a book only to find out it's another stale detective tale, looking for something a bit meatier.

Love my horrors too, any authors that might not be mainstream to keep an eye out for?

Cheers in advance.

I've not read any of the Dark Tower series either but I've never fancied it for some reason. On the petty side, I'm not sure I can buy into character names like Gunslinger etc. Am I truly missing out? Is it a must read?

Also, any good dark thrillers/chillers someone could recommend? Fed up of getting into a decent premise of a book only to find out it's another stale detective tale, looking for something a bit meatier.

Love my horrors too, any authors that might not be mainstream to keep an eye out for?

Cheers in advance.

I liked the Dark Tower series. And I'm not a huge Stephen King fan. I don't like horrors much.

Try the Trilogy I mentioned above. Omens is first, Visions second and the new one out in August is Deceptions.

Its really difficult to describe. Sort of Gothic mystery/fantasy set in modern day America.

Edited by H_B

Generation Wall by Mark Scheppert about his recollections of growing up in the former East Germany.

Interesting but not as insightful as I thought it was going to be as he grew up in the more privileged part due to his father being a sports coach at Dynamo Berlin.

Edited by pccabe

I'd read The Big Nowhere and White Jazz to complete the LA quartet before going onto American Tabloid. There are a few characters going right through. Perfidia you could read whenever as it's set before the other books.

I'm reading Perfidia at the moment. I've loved the other three I've read - LA Confidential, White Jazz and The Black Dahlia - and this one's interesting in that it gives the background to many of the central characters in those books. However, it reads like he's just compiled his own notes into an epic novel. There's an awful lot of psycho-babble from Kay Lake which is incredibly hard to get through, and seriously tempting to skip. Think I might go for the audio book version, because reading it's a struggle.

Also got American Tabloid at the same book shop raid, so I'll go on to that next.

I'm reading Perfidia at the moment. I've loved the other three I've read - LA Confidential, White Jazz and The Black Dahlia - and this one's interesting in that it gives the background to many of the central characters in those books. However, it reads like he's just compiled his own notes into an epic novel. There's an awful lot of psycho-babble from Kay Lake which is incredibly hard to get through, and seriously tempting to skip. Think I might go for the audio book version, because reading it's a struggle.

Also got American Tabloid at the same book shop raid, so I'll go on to that next.

I'm nearly finished reading The Black Dahlia (and read LA Confidential recently too) and will happily take Welsh Bairn's advice on the other two from the series.

Dahlia seems a bit more lightweight and accessible than LA Confidential (if a book where the subject matter involves a woman being cut in half and drained of blood can be 'light').

Just finished reading Yrsa Sigurdadittir's The Silence Of Th Sea. Follows similar pattern to most of her books, dragging on a bit introducing events, then you get sucked in wanting to keep reading to the end. Just started reading A Decent Ride by Irvine Welsh. About 30 pages in and much better than his last one the Siamese Twins shite and for me it's good to read something in Scottish slang for a change.

I just bought that. Not started it yet as I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn at the moment.

I only really bought it out of loyalty to old Welshy as I loved Glue and Filth (I thought skagboys was a bit lightweight and was milking the trainspotting cash cow)

I just bought that. Not started it yet as I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn at the moment.

I only really bought it out of loyalty to old Welshy as I loved Glue and Filth (I thought skagboys was a bit lightweight and was milking the trainspotting cash cow)

My missus bought me if for my birthday, or maybe christmas. I can't remember which. To me, it came across as though someone had read a lot of Irvine Welsh and tried to write a book in the same style, then neglected to miss out everything Welsh usually does apart from the profanity. Absolute dross.

My missus bought me if for my birthday, or maybe christmas. I can't remember which. To me, it came across as though someone had read a lot of Irvine Welsh and tried to write a book in the same style, then neglected to miss out everything Welsh usually does apart from the profanity. Absolute dross.

I'm now on page 246 of the new Irvine Welsh book and wishing it was page 483. The pleasure of reading a book in a Scots dialect diminishes page by page. It seems to be an exercise in how many words or rhyming slang you can use for shagging. Still prefer it to the Siamese Twins book but only just. Won't be in a hurry to buy his next one, if there is. Next on the list is Christopher Brookmyre's Dead Girl Walking.

I'm now on page 246 of the new Irvine Welsh book and wishing it was page 483. The pleasure of reading a book in a Scots dialect diminishes page by page. It seems to be an exercise in how many words or rhyming slang you can use for shagging. Still prefer it to the Siamese Twins book but only just. Won't be in a hurry to buy his next one, if there is. Next on the list is Christopher Brookmyre's Dead Girl Walking.

I was talking about "The Sex Lives of the Siamese Twins". I thought "A Good Ride" was decent enough, for toilet humour at least.

Not read Dead Girl Walking. Completely missed that he had released another book. Will put in on the list.

Currently reading Jeff Guinn's biography of Charles Manson which is proving really interesting. As much a social history the USA in the 1960s as it is a biog of Manson.

Read it a month or so ago but I can't recommend Michael Tierney's 'My First Game with my Father' highly enough.

This thread though is a wee reminder to me that I really should make more of an effort to read more fiction.

If you like Brookmyre's stuff it might be worth checking Carl Hiaasen's books. They're normally crime capers set in Florida and have similar larger than life events/baddies.

His column in the Miami Herald is worth a read. The true stories about Florida politics make his books seem understated in comparison.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/carl-hiaasen/

Edited by welshbairn