Last Book You Read....

H_B

I'm a bit of a Carl Hiaasen fan too, I assume you already know about Christopher Brookmyre who is basically Carl Hiaasen from Scotland.

The best book I've read in the 'farce' style of those two guys though is Tom Sharpes Riotous Assembly, very possibly the funniest book I've ever read.

There's no way Hiaasen and Brookmyre haven't read his books.

I'm sure Brookmyre will be pleased to read this!

I've just finished the latest, Dead Girl Walking. I'm so, so pleased to see one of my favourite characters in literature return, alongside a few other familiar faces, and I'm even happier to see that it looks like he'll be back again before long.

Enjoyed it so much that I re-read Be My Enemy straight after and I'm now back to A Snowball In Hell, 3rd time around for both of those.

• 1 month later...

Just finished Irvine Welsh's new book 'A Decent Ride' and I have to say it was double barry.

Typical Welsh, not particularly politically correct and typically dark in places. Highly recommended if you are a fan of incest, necrophilia, sexism, racism, sectarianism and Ryan Stevenson's neck tattoos.

Juice Terry is some boy.

8/10

Just finished Irvine Welsh's new book 'A Decent Ride' and I have to say it was double barry. Typical Welsh, not particularly politically correct and typically dark in places. Highly recommended if you are a fan of incest, necrophilia, sexism, racism, sectarianism and Ryan Stevenson's neck tattoos.Juice Terry is some boy. 8/10

Aye sur aye sur

Aye sur aye sur

I'm walking about the house saying that and she's thinking I've lost the plot. Aye sur she thinks I've lost the plot. Aye sur aye sur she thinks I've lost the plot. Aye sur.

Aye.

JFK and the Unspeakable: Why he died and why it matters by Jim Douglass

Released in 2008, one of the best, and most important, works on the assassination of JFK ever. Robert Kennedy Jr is a big fan. If you're interested in the subject its one of half a dozen or so books you should definitely pick up. The CIA did it for anyone that's interested.

I'm walking about the house saying that and she's thinking I've lost the plot. Aye sur she thinks I've lost the plot. Aye sur aye sur she thinks I've lost the plot. Aye sur.

Aye.

Garaunteed !

How funny was it when juice terry cut his hair?

Been working my way through Iain M Banks books and I'm reading Matter at the moment. There have been some brilliant Culture ship names but I think I've just found my favourite "Pure Big Mad Boat Man" :D

Only 2 Culture novels to go after this one :(

Currenly started reading Neuromancer - William Gibson. Just started it so I have no idea where its going

I'm just away to start this.

I recently started The Great And Calamitous Tale Of Johan Thoms by Ian Thornton. It's a comic retelling of the assasination of The Archduke Franz Ferdinand and the fate of the guy who was driving the limo. It was pretty boring TBH and I gave up after about 30 pages.

Decided as a new years resolution I would try and read at least 1 book a week. Currently on around 30 for the year. I'll try and get round to listing them all but probably won't.

Finished Chris Pavone's "The Expats" on the way to work this morning. Wasn't up to much.

Been working my way through Iain M Banks books and I'm reading Matter at the moment. There have been some brilliant Culture ship names but I think I've just found my favourite "Pure Big Mad Boat Man" :D

Only 2 Culture novels to go after this one :(

Haven't got round to reading his sci-fi stuff, but have thoroughly enjoyed all the novels he wrote without the M.

Haven't got round to reading his sci-fi stuff, but have thoroughly enjoyed all the novels he wrote without the M.

That's kind of the opposite of my experience, only started reading his sci-fi books last year and have been working through the libraries complete collection.

I did read The Crow Road, enjoyed it but preferred the M stuff, will probably go back to them once I'm through with the Culture though.

I use Goodreads to record my reading now and it's quite revealing, never actually checked before but I managed 26 books last year :o .

And that's with bit of a game addiction too, need to get into the real world a bit more. :lol:

Read 3 novels this month, which for me is unheard of! I go through phases where I will fancy reading but it soon fades away. Although I've discovered James Patterson and I like his style: short chapters. It encourages me to keep reading as it's only a couple of pages at a time.

The last 3 I read were:-

House of Bones by Graham Masterton

It was the novel that's gotten me back into reading, so I can't slate it. I wasn't overly impressed though. It did keep my attention but I was hoping for more scares. I was only scared once throughout the novel. It got a bit silly for me nearer the end, but overall I would say it was decent enough.

5/10

Don't Blink by James Patterson

My first ever Patterson novel and it had be gripped from the beginning. A basic plot is that a journalist is sitting at the wrong place at the wrong time and witnesses a hit by a mobster on another fella. The story is basically him avoiding death as he gets in too deep. It's very riveting throughout and you wonder how the guy manages to avoid death (it's written mainly in the first person, so that's not a spoiler). The short chapters were a massive tick for me and it went a long way to keeping me interested. It also encourages Patterson to make each chapter end on a cliffhanger; which he does in almost every chapter. Quite impressive when you think that there are over 100 odd chapters. I really enjoyed this and it introduced me to Patterson's work.

6.5/10

Guilty Wives by James Patterson

I have to admit I enjoyed this one even more than Don't Blink. Again I was hooked from the beginning. It focusses on 4 women (wives) who go for a weekend at Monte Carlo. They are well off, but not snobby. They meet up with 4 dudes and head back to a yacht. They are awoken in the morning by the police, the army and all sorts. Turns out two of the guys they had shared the night with have woken up dead. With all the evidence pointing to them. It's made even worse when we find out who one of the deceased turns out to be. So from there we see one of the woman trying to figure out who set them up and why. Definitely a gripping read. My biggest gripe with the book is that it's not a surprise really as to who has done this to them. Patterson made it pretty clear early on (at least to me) who had done this. Nevertheless there are twists and turns galore throughout the novel and it would be a recommendation of mine.

7.5/10

Currently reading Patterson's Along Came A Spider. I watched the film years ago and thankfully can't mind much about it other than the plot. So far I've been engrossed again :)

On a bit of a Jon Ronson phase at the moment (listening to his old Radio4 show too) after giving up on Bill Bryson's ASHOT (too many names, found it really dull). Reading Lost at Sea - The Jon Ronson Mysteries. A lot of weird stuff ranging from the alphas (an evangelical group who think they can speak tongues) and Robbie Williams and his UFO hobby to a town in Alaska called North Pole where everything is decorated in christmas stuff and men murdering their families etc..

Some stories are quickly glossed over and could be a bit more in depth but overall enjoyable.

• 1 month later...

Just read Philip Kerr's latest Bernie Gunther book The Lady From Prague. As usual Mr Kerr brings Nazi Germany to life through the eyes of the cynical detective. This one takes Bernie to Switzerland as well as somewhere which rivalled the Nazis for ethic cleansing: Croatia.

10/10

Read A Decent Ride recently - yep, it's another Irvine Welsh book, and delivers exactly what you expect.

Also battered through Bred in the Bone by Chris Brookmyre - I'm a fan, so all there is to say here is that he delivers as expected and I'm enjoying Jasmine developing into an excellent "series" character. She's no Angelique, but she's more than good enough to carry a few more tales.

Currently reading two books - just finishing Mystic River, one of the few Dennis Lehane books which i hadn't read up til now - the usual gripping Bostonian Noir just reaching the twist-and-turn finally fifty pages, while racing through the new Stephen King, Finders Keepers, on the Kindle.

Am I right in thinking that Finders Keepers is linked with Mr. Mercedes? I really enjoyed that.

I've been working through The Stand from King. It's pretty good. It's some length, but I'm not finding that it's dragging at this point and I've gotten through a fairly massive chunk of it.

Am I right in thinking that Finders Keepers is linked with Mr. Mercedes? I really enjoyed that.

I've been working through The Stand from King. It's pretty good. It's some length, but I'm not finding that it's dragging at this point and I've gotten through a fairly massive chunk of it.

Aye, it's the second part of a trilogy which started with Mr Mercedes. Pretty enjoyable, as a lot of his later, non-horror stuff tends to be.

Are you reading the long version of The Stand? It fcked about with the timeline and inserted some more recent pop-culture references, iirc.

I read it first when it was released here in the late '70s, and it was one of the first things I thought of a few years later when the AIDS scare was at its height. Quite a simplistic good/evil dichotomy, in all honesty, but golly, that man can tell a story!

Aye, it's the second part of a trilogy which started with Mr Mercedes. Pretty enjoyable, as a lot of his later, non-horror stuff tends to be.

Are you reading the long version of The Stand? It fcked about with the timeline and inserted some more recent pop-culture references, iirc.

I read it first when it was released here in the late '70s, and it was one of the first things I thought of a few years later when the AIDS scare was at its height. Quite a simplistic good/evil dichotomy, in all honesty, but golly, that man can tell a story!

I'm reading Finders Keepers atm too, I'm about 2/3rds through it. No one does creepy psychos like SK. :wub:

I love the fact that he's a great writer AND incredibly prolific, obviously some stuff is better than others but he's always a 'good' read imo. The Stand is a brilliant book, it gets some stick for the ending but I didn't think it was too bad and it was difficult one to wrap up. (Same goes for Under The Dome actually)

Edited by Tommy Nooka