Last Book You Read....

H_B

No on around 40 for the year. Really need to itemise them. Currently reading Khaled Hosseini's "The Kite Runner", having not long finished Timur Vermes "Look Who's Back".

ISIS..The New Face of Terror By Jay Sekulow. For me I found it interesting,it does seem like a propaganda exercise from the U.S. But recent happenings in the news, shows that the threat from ISIS is definitely real (unfortunately)

[quote name="WhiteRoseKillie" post="9599614" timestamp="1435897746"

Also battered through Bred in the Bone by Chris Brookmyre - I'm a fan, so all there is to say here is that he delivers as expected and I'm enjoying Jasmine developing into an excellent "series" character. She's no Angelique, but she's more than good enough to carry a few more tales.

Thank you for giving me a wee panic there thinking there was a Brookmyre book I hadn't even heard of!

Turns out that it's better known in the UK as Flesh Wounds. Phew!

Thank you for giving me a wee panic there thinking there was a Brookmyre book I hadn't even heard of!

Turns out that it's better known in the UK as Flesh Wounds. Phew!

Ditto, I thought he'd snuck another Jasmine Sharp book out but I've read Flesh wounds which was my favourite of that wee trilogy.

Hope he gets back to his funny books soon though, not enough new Hiaasen or Brookmyre of late.

Ditto, I thought he'd snuck another Jasmine Sharp book out but I've read Flesh wounds which was my favourite of that wee trilogy.

Hope he gets back to his funny books soon though, not enough new Hiaasen or Brookmyre of late.

Disappointing if Brookmyre's leaving Sharp at three books - although the arc seems nicely complete, in all fairness.

Anyhoo, that's Mystic River finished - quality as always from Lehane, whose characters are always more complex on the page than they can be shown on screen. Now for the Lincoln Lawyer - I do like Michael Connelly.

Hiaasen and Brookmyre,as I believe i've said before, could publish their shopping lists and I'd lap them up.

My missus & I are off to America next month for our holidays, spending 2 weeks in Texas, my missus being a big fan of JR Ewing from the Dallas tv series so I thought I'd get some travel guides to read? Well I went on Amazon & ordered one called Debbie does Dallas by Maria Minestra.

Well Miss Minestra you are no Judith Chalmers I'll tell you that for nothing.

My missus is not in to American football nor am I, though the author did go in to quite some detail on the local cheer leading scene out there. In fact that's all there seems to be in Dallas according to this travelogue. I don't think we'll bother with Dallas if going off this guide is anything to be believed, think we'll spend an extra day at Graceland. Apparently there's a video version of this tome probably for those of a dyslexic nature or something, I personally wouldn't recommend it unless cheerleading is your thing?

Grimbo

Ps I'm quite interested in tonsillitis at the moment can anyone recommend any good reading matter on things of or about the throat?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Iain Banks "Complicity", followed up by John Grishams "Gray Mountain" in the last week. Started on Stephen Kings "Under the Dome".

I really enjoyed Under The Dome, it's very much like The Stand only on a smaller scale.

Finished Kings latest book Finders Keepers a few weeks ago, it was a good read too, but then I am biased.

I haven't finished as many books as I'd like recently as I've gotten into a terrible habit of reading books with 800+ pages. (Iain M Banks addiction had something to do with that but I've finished those now. :( ) Is Complicity any good? Haven't given the Iain Banks stuff much of a chance yet, I've read Crow Road and Transition which were OK.

Reading Peter F Hamiltons 'Fallen Dragon' at the moment, currently on 'location 4720 of 13475', 35% according to my kindle. Your standard paperback is usually about this length in total :lol:

LA Confidential by James Ellroy.

Tremendous.

Probably my favourite writer. American Tabloid and Cold Six Thousand are my favourites, set around the Bay of Pigs and the Kennedy assassination. His new book is mostly about Sgt Dudley Smith from LA Confidential and the other books in the LA Quartet, set in the early days of WW2, again in Los Angeles.

I really enjoyed Under The Dome, it's very much like The Stand only on a smaller scale.

Finished Kings latest book Finders Keepers a few weeks ago, it was a good read too, but then I am biased.

I haven't finished as many books as I'd like recently as I've gotten into a terrible habit of reading books with 800+ pages. (Iain M Banks addiction had something to do with that but I've finished those now. :( ) Is Complicity any good? Haven't given the Iain Banks stuff much of a chance yet, I've read Crow Road and Transition which were OK.

Reading Peter F Hamiltons 'Fallen Dragon' at the moment, currently on 'location 4720 of 13475', 35% according to my kindle. Your standard paperback is usually about this length in total :lol:

I enjoyed Complicity, but I am a massive fan of his stuff as Iain Banks. Very easy to read and in many ways similar to The Crow Road. If you enjoyed that then I would say it's well worth a go.

Tempted to buy a Kindle as it would make it easier and substantially cheaper to get hold of English language books over here. It would however f**k up my plans to have a small rainforest worth of books lying about in my own personal library. Really need to bring all my books from Scotland over here at some point just to piss off my missus in that respect.

Probably my favourite writer. American Tabloid and Cold Six Thousand are my favourites, set around the Bay of Pigs and the Kennedy assassination. His new book is mostly about Sgt Dudley Smith from LA Confidential and the other books in the LA Quartet, set in the early days of WW2, again in Los Angeles.

Enjoying The Black Dhalia now but thanks for the heads up on these ones. Watching stuff like True Detective or the GTA Los Santos game you can see how influential his portrayal of LA has been.

Enjoying The Black Dhalia now but thanks for the heads up on these ones. Watching stuff like True Detective or the GTA Los Santos game you can see how influential his portrayal of LA has been.

I'd read The Big Nowhere and White Jazz to complete the LA quartet before going onto American Tabloid. There are a few characters going right through. Perfidia you could read whenever as it's set before the other books.

Be interested to know what you think once you've finished it. Really enjoyed it until the end, which I felt was fuckin horseshit.

If you're talking about Under the Dome then I don't really see how there could have been any other ending.

Just finished reading Yrsa Sigurdadittir's The Silence Of Th Sea. Follows similar pattern to most of her books, dragging on a bit introducing events, then you get sucked in wanting to keep reading to the end. Just started reading A Decent Ride by Irvine Welsh. About 30 pages in and much better than his last one the Siamese Twins shite and for me it's good to read something in Scottish slang for a change.