Last Book You Read....

H_B

His column in the Miami Herald is worth a read. The true stories about Florida politics make his books seem understated in comparison.

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/carl-hiaasen/

Cheers! I found lots of his books in a wee second hand place in Greenwich and read them all. Some of the stuff that goes on in Florida puts even the bams of Dundee in the shade.

Half A War - Joe Abercrombie - A fitting end to a great wee trilogy. Anyone looking for a 'lighter' introduction to Abercrombies work would do well to start with the Shattered Sea Trilogy, still plenty of action, betrayal and murder just a bit less swearing/graphic descriptions of sex and violence. It's can feel a little cliched at times but still a very enjoyable read, I got it from the library on Saturday afternoon and was finished by Sunday night. Highly recommended.

Just finished Chris Brookmyre's "Dead Girl Walking" featuring the return of Jack Parlabane. Liked the way it jumped from what Jack was up to then what was happening through the words of one of the girls. A book I didn't want to put down and a recommended read. Also notable for including the words cockwomble and fuckpuddle. If you like Chris Bookmyre's work this one won't disappoint.

I've never really been into books but currently reading Cocaine Diaries by Paul Keany. If anyone remembers Banged Up Abroad, there's an episode where a 45 year old Irish guy goes to smuggle 6 kilos of gear for 10 grand. He gets 8 years bird in Venezuela. I'm only half way through it but I'm engrossed. If anyone knows more stories/books like that I would love to get a look at them of them. As I say I couldn't tell you the last time I read a proper book but I'll have this one done by the end of the week.

I'm reading Perfidia at the moment. I've loved the other three I've read - LA Confidential, White Jazz and The Black Dahlia - and this one's interesting in that it gives the background to many of the central characters in those books. However, it reads like he's just compiled his own notes into an epic novel. There's an awful lot of psycho-babble from Kay Lake which is incredibly hard to get through, and seriously tempting to skip. Think I might go for the audio book version, because reading it's a struggle.

Also got American Tabloid at the same book shop raid, so I'll go on to that next.

The sequel to American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand is a bit experimental. It's all written in very short sentences, usually 3 or 4 words, and had a few people criticizing it, even Ellroy said he wouldn't do it again. It's a bit like Irvine Welsh's dialogue, takes a chapter or so to tune in, but I think it's his best book.

Edited by welshbairn

The sequel to American Tabloid, The Cold Six Thousand is a bit experimental. It's all written in very short sentences, usually 3 or 4 words, and had a few people criticizing it, even Ellroy said he wouldn't do it again. It's a bit like Irvine Welsh's dialogue, takes a chapter or so to tune in, but I think it's his best book.

I'm trying Finnegan's Wake, just to see if it's as terrible as I'd heard.

It is.

I picked up a Peter James book (Dead Man's Time) somewhere recently, and only just found it again when looking for something new to read.

Really enjoyed it and am now looking at the series he has on the detective protagonist (Roy Grace)

Worth a go for crime fans (whether the books get very formulaic like Jeffrey Deaver's I've still to find out)

I've never got past page one.

I read Portrait of an artist.... and was feeling in a Joycean mood.

But I am coming round to the view that this was just an utter f**k you to the literary critics. No wonder his patron was raging with him when he produced this drivel.

I recently finished A Moveable Feast, a collection of memoirs of Ermest Hemingway. Now, I know we're all supposed to revere this great man, but I haven't really enjoyed nor admired any of the three or four of his books I've read. He was certainly a bit of a lad and got around a bit, in so many ways. But I'm Hemmed out and won't be giving him any more of my time.

I've never really been into books but currently reading Cocaine Diaries by Paul Keany. If anyone remembers Banged Up Abroad, there's an episode where a 45 year old Irish guy goes to smuggle 6 kilos of gear for 10 grand. He gets 8 years bird in Venezuela. I'm only half way through it but I'm engrossed. If anyone knows more stories/books like that I would love to get a look at them of them. As I say I couldn't tell you the last time I read a proper book but I'll have this one done by the end of the week.

51ib4jKPIZL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm trying Finnegan's Wake, just to see if it's as terrible as I'd heard.

It is.

Dubliners is stunning. A masterpiece. Finnegan's Wake is just unreadable.

I want to try The Cold Six Thousand because I really liked American Tabloid.

But for the sake of my soul, I'm going to read John Le Carre's A Delicate Truth. That's an absolute cracker, with proper syntax and everything.

• 1 month later...

Exoskeleton by Shane Stadler.

A man convicted of rape is given the choice to take a sentence of 1 year in a new experimental sentence instead of a 25 year sentence. Mix of technology (Sci-fi ish), horror and mystery.

I thought it was great. Read it only 2 or 3 sittings.