Last Book You Read....

H_B

Anyone ever read 'The Lies of Locke Lamora'?
I did a bit of research and it seemed like a must read book but I did the first couple of chapters and wasn't that enamoured. 

Yes, stick with it. The first part is mainly about setting the scene and giving a bit of context for the rest of the novel. I found it a little dull to begin with but it's one of the best fantasy novels I've read for a while. The other two in the series aren't quite as good as Lies but are definitely good books and it's a nice take on the fantasy series and Lies of Locke Lamora is fantastic.

Finished "Days Without End" by Sebastian Barry this morning on the way into work. As enjoyable and well written as anything else of his I have read. Definitely need to get hold of the remaining novels of his I haven't read so far.

Nothing else to read now, need to either visit the bookshop or put a few things on the e-reader tonight. No idea who or what I want to go onto next though.

Edited by Ross.

I did a bit of research and it seemed like a must read book but I did the first couple of chapters and wasn't that enamoured. 

Lies is a great book, well plotted with a couple of gut punches along the way. Other 2 are good but not as good as LOLL. Yet another fantasy author that's struggling with his writing though, next book is well overdue.
Joe Abercrombie is good and he fair pumps out the novels, on a bit of hiatus atm but I expect he'll come back with a book or two already written.

31 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

White Noise, Don DeLillo: mid-eighties, post-modern gibberish. Avoid.

Libra is a good read, semi fictional account of the Kennedy assassination. Struggled with anything else I've tried.

I'm 50/50 with fantasy novels and series, some I really like, others I just struggle to get into. Might give Joe Abercrombie a go. Reading a lot of thrillers at the moment but I think I've over done it slightly as I'm getting thrill fatigue a bit so a change in genre may be good.

On 7/18/2017 at 03:19, BradHorse said:

I absolutely loved it - one of my favourite book series.

Just finished Conclave by Robert Harris and thought it was very good. I am a big fan of historical novels (Wolf Hall, etc) and have downloaded Pompeii to read next.

At the moment I have just started To Be Continued... by James Robertson - has started quite well and interested to see where he is going with it (main guy has just started talking to a frog...)

• 3 weeks later...
I absolutely loved it - one of my favourite book series.

Just finished Conclave by Robert Harris and thought it was very good. I am a big fan of historical novels (Wolf Hall, etc) and have downloaded Pompeii to read next.

At the moment I have just started To Be Continued... by James Robertson - has started quite well and interested to see where he is going with it (main guy has just started talking to a frog...)

Just finished conclave also. While enjoyable enough, thought it bordered on the ridiculous in places. Was a decent 6/10 holiday read but a couple of times i found myself rolling my eyes at some of the twists.

It's on my 'to read' list. I read Fatherland relatively recently and quite enjoyed it. Not brilliant but solidly good. Must be in an alternative history phase as I'm currently reading 'The Plot Against America' by Philip Roth.

It's quite interesting reading it with a mind to what Trump is doing and saying. It's sort of similar in that it's a book about what happens when the 'wrong' man becomes president. Not very far into it yet but so far I'm probably enjoying it more than Fatherland.

Not long finished the latest Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole effort and onto the final chapter of the latest Phillip Kerr/Bernie Gunther novel. Both relatively decent if not standard books in each series.

Nothing on my e-reader after this and no idea what I want to read.

Not long finished the latest Jo Nesbo/Harry Hole effort and onto the final chapter of the latest Phillip Kerr/Bernie Gunther novel. Both relatively decent if not standard books in each series.
Nothing on my e-reader after this and no idea what I want to read.

I read the Harry Hole novel a few weeks back, quite enjoyed it. You know what you are getting with Nesbo but he does it well.

Just now, Jmothecat2 said:

I read the Harry Hole novel a few weeks back, quite enjoyed it. You know what you are getting with Nesbo but he does it well.

Pretty much. He was my "Go to author" for a wee while when I had nothing else to read, but as I'm now up to date on his books I really need to find someone else for that. Will head to the local book shop on my lunch break and pick up something but really need to start noting down the stuff I see here and elsewhere that I think I might want to read.

• 3 weeks later...

Normally take a couple of escapist thrillers on hols to while away the time. However picked up Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada, brilliant. Started it on the plane and was quite disappointed when we came in to land and I had to close the book. Set in Berlin in 1940 it's about a couple who start to got back at the Nazis when their only son is killed in the war. The various characters, good and evil, were perfectly drawn and I was gripped throughout. Can't recommend it highly enough.

1 minute ago, TheLip69 said:

Normally take a couple of escapist thrillers on hols to while away the time. However picked up Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada, brilliant. Started it on the plane and was quite disappointed when we came in to land and I had to close the book. Set in Berlin in 1940 it's about a couple who start to got back at the Nazis when their only son is killed in the war. The various characters, good and evil, were perfectly drawn and I was gripped throughout. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Saw the film recently, pretty good.

On 8/10/2017 at 09:02, Jmothecat2 said:

It's on my 'to read' list. I read Fatherland relatively recently and quite enjoyed it. Not brilliant but solidly good. Must be in an alternative history phase as I'm currently reading 'The Plot Against America' by Philip Roth.

It's quite interesting reading it with a mind to what Trump is doing and saying. It's sort of similar in that it's a book about what happens when the 'wrong' man becomes president. Not very far into it yet but so far I'm probably enjoying it more than Fatherland.

After reading your post, I picked this up.  Enjoying it so far.

Not into novels but read both of them. Think I switched off with the Roth book and can't even mind what happens. When I read it it seemed a bit far fetched as well at that time.

Really enjoyed fatherland but that's because it's a thriller and was interesting. Probably for a proper novel reader it's a bit simple.

On 8/31/2017 at 14:11, Boostin' Kev said:

Been reading a lot more again recently.  On The Big Blowdown by George Pelecanos just now, have Post Office  - Charles Bukowski next and just ordered Clockers  - Richard Price and Black Dahlia - James Elroy.

Clockers is good. 

I'd recommend The Wanderers by Richard Price. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read and it's far better than the film.

I'm currently reading Blood and Guts in High School by Kathy Acker but I can't say I'm enjoying it. It's like she's trying too hard to be weird and edgy. I doubt if I'll finish it.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny