Last Book You Read....

H_B

I wanted to do 'It' for my personal study in 5th year a few year back. Only to be told 'Stephen King novels lack depth'. What shite!

To be fair, a lot of them do lack depth, but 'It' doesn't fall into that category.

The Stand is probably his best one, The Running Man which he wrote as Richard Bachman is also quite good and a lot better than the film version.

Some of his Novella are superb. The Long Walk, The Body (which they made into a movie as "Stand By Me") and it's worth Reading Rita Hayworth & The Shawshank Redemption. (Which they made into a movie as...well, you know).

"A Life's Music" by Andrei Makine.

A brilliant novella about an encounter with a concert pianist forced to go on the run in the former Soviet Union days before his first public performance. I read it in a couple of hours and loved every minute. I really like Makine and this is probably his best so far.

Stephen King. Read them all, some are great, some are poor. However, the thing that annoys me is the endings. Piss poor in most books. There are exceptions, of course, but the ending of "It" spoiled what was otherwise a brilliant read. Then again, the ending of "Pet Sematry" made up for what was otherwise an average read.

Moving on...

Just finished "Morven Callar" by Alan Warner and "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martell.

Just started "War & Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. Feel that I'm old enough and ready enough to read it now.

Today I bought

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown which I have started reading and Sail by James Patterson (I think)

£12 for the pair from WHS.

Does anyone know how much the postage from Amazon used books is?

Edited by loyal-blue

"Time and Chance", Jim Callaghan's autobiography.

Goes into a bit much detail about some issues at the expense of others that are more interesting, such as the devaluation that forced him from the Exchequer in the late sixties and the vote of confidence that brought his Government down in 1979.

Looking back it's actually hard to believe just how much the unions stabbed him in the back and cost Labour almost 20 years out of office. Autumn 1978, inflation is under 8% after being over 20% a couple of years earlier, interest rates have been falling to around 6.5% while unemployment is slowly starting to come back down, and then the unions refuse to extend any pay deal limits and the unions at Ford slap in a 40% pay claim, sparking a wave of similar claims that ended up in the winter of discontent and signed the death knell for his Government.

History is perhaps a wee bit unkind to him, as he comes across as a decent guy who was undone by circumstances outwith his control.

Taking Chances - Winning With Probability by John Haigh.

I'm studying statistics, and probability is my favourite part of it and is something I might be interested in studying further.

The book shows how probability can be used in a number of real-life situations, such as gambling, board games, the National Lottery and TV game shows. It tries to avoid equations in the main text, which would be good for readers without much statistical knowledge, but it has the equations used at the back for those who are interested.

Have three books on the go at the moment ....

1. A CROWD IS NOT COMPANY - ROBERT KEY ...... a true story of WW2 POW heroism. Well written volume.

2. BORROWED TIME - ROY HATTERSLEY ...... Hattersley's story of UK between the wars, heavy read so far need and need to give it more of a chance, before comment.

3. SEAN CONNERY, Neither Shaken Nor Stirred - ANDREW YULE ... have enjoyed the read so far and several chapters in.

Of those three I'd take "Neither Shaken Nor Stirred" as the preferred read so far but, may well change my mind as I finish them all.

Stephen King. Read them all, some are great, some are poor. However, the thing that annoys me is the endings. Piss poor in most books. There are exceptions, of course, but the ending of "It" spoiled what was otherwise a brilliant read. Then again, the ending of "Pet Sematry" made up for what was otherwise an average read.

Moving on...

Just finished "Morven Callar" by Alan Warner and "Life Of Pi" by Yann Martell.

Just started "War & Peace" by Leo Tolstoy. Feel that I'm old enough and ready enough to read it now.

I read that years ago and really enjoyed it, it was made into a film a few years back.

"Sports Journalism" by Raymond Boyle

Since doing my dissertation I've become more interested in non fiction books, and just learning more about journalism. This was very enjoyable, and it's completely upped my opinion of Graham Speirs. What a guy.

9/10

Starting to read RL Stevenson's Treasure Island for my 5th year English Personal study. Read through a bit of it already and looks good.

RLS was an absolutely superb author, one of my all time favourites. If you can get your hands on any of his other stuff then do so. Not without good reason are they regarded as classics.

ghost rider, bye neil peart.

Get your tissues at the ready. A great read but bleak and desperate at times. The man, though, knows the value of words.

Just finished Neither Here Nor There, an account if travels in Europe by the ever-brilliant Bill Bryson. Read this years ago and it made me go and visit some of the places and has done so again. Very entertaining and enlightening. Recommended.

Now finished "A Snowball in Hell" by Christopher Brookmyre. I don't want to sound wanky and like a suckup, but it would've been a 9/10...if I hadn't been deducting one point for every goal conceded in that game in '86. 3/10. :angry:

Now finished "A Snowball in Hell" by Christopher Brookmyre. I don't want to sound wanky and like a suckup, but it would've been a 9/10...if I hadn't been deducting one point for every goal conceded in that game in '86. 3/10. :angry:

Lucky for me we took the foot off the gas at 6-1 then. B)

Wasted - Mark Johnson 8/10

Autobiography of Johnson's life from a young age through to his teens when he started experimenting with soft drugs finally ending up living on the street with a £500 a day smack and crack addiction until several severe low points gave him the kick up the arse he needed to sort himself out. He is now a successful business man helping out recovering addicts. Brilliant novel.