Last Book You Read....

H_B

Anatomies/Hugh Williams - Enjoyable enough popular science book on the human body

House Of Cards/Michael Dobbs - Good political thriller. Interesting to see the similarities with American series. 

The adventures and memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Always get the urge to read these great stories around summertime. The Wordsworth Classics versions are superior to penguin or OUP when it comes to Holmes. This edition combines the two best collections of stories and come with the original Paget illustrations which add greatly to the reading experience. Not sure why any buyer would prefer a standard text version for 5 or 6 times the price.    

Steppenwolf/Hesse - Started off quite interesting as a psychoanalytical and pessimist novel but ran out of momentum and reached an underwhelming conclusion.                

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been back to Fopp and bought Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre, Kill Your Friends by John Niven, On the Road by Jack Kerouac (the actual novel, not the original scroll I read a few weeks ago), Island by Aldous Huxley and The Acid House by Irvine Welsh.

Post 'A Song of Ice and Fire', I needed a new series to get into. Started reading 'The Dragonbone Chair' by Tad Williams. I'm about half way though.

To be honest, it's been a slow start, 400 pages of not much. I'll keep trying though, see if it picks up. The general plot seems to have promise.

"Forever Young, The Story Of Adrian Doherty" 

Probably the second best footballing book I have read (first being Paul Lakes autobiography), Oliver Kay tells the story about Adrian Doherty who was part of the Man United class of 92. He was offered a five year deal at seventeen and turned it down. He died the day before his twenty seventh birthday. 

Really interesting character who was most definitely not your normal footballer. 

One of my residents at work is an avid reader after a cataract op. He loves crime fiction. I was telling him I was a huge Chris Brookmyre fan and I'd lend him some to have a read of. I was about to choose Quite Ugly One Morning and then thought that probably wasn't the most appropriate for an elderly/frail/dementia/palliative environment. I went with A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away instead. 

One of my residents at work is an avid reader after a cataract op. He loves crime fiction. I was telling him I was a huge Chris Brookmyre fan and I'd lend him some to have a read of. I was about to choose Quite Ugly One Morning and then thought that probably wasn't the most appropriate for an elderly/frail/dementia/palliative environment. I went with A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away instead. 

Put him onto Raymond Chandler. I love crime novels and the guy's book have a superb atmospheric edge to them.

7d93f1fa71a2833059712d9e38b67988.jpg
The Strange Death of Europe is a highly personal account of a continent and culture caught in the act of suicide. Declining birth-rates, mass immigration and cultivated self-distrust and self-hatred have come together to make Europeans unable to argue for themselves and incapable of resisting their own comprehensive change as a society. This book is not only an analysis of demographic and political realities, but also an eyewitness account of a continent in self-destruct mode. It includes reporting from across the entire continent, from the places where migrants land to the places they end up, from the people who appear to welcome them in to the places which cannot accept them.

Told from this first-hand perspective, and backed with impressive research and evidence, the book addresses the disappointing failure of multiculturalism, Angela Merkel's U-turn on migration, the lack of repatriation and the Western fixation on guilt. Murray travels to Berlin, Paris, Scandinavia, Lampedusa and Greece to uncover the malaise at the very heart of the European culture, and to hear the stories of those who have arrived in Europe from far away. In each chapter he also takes a step back to look at the bigger issues which lie behind a continent's death-wish, answering the question of why anyone, let alone an entire civilisation, would do this to themselves? He ends with two visions of Europe – one hopeful, one pessimistic – which paint a picture of Europe in crisis and offer a choice as to what, if anything, we can do next.

• 2 weeks later...

Plus one for MacBribe, read all his police style novels and Halfhead was enjoyable too. Humour, disgust and whodunnit all rolled into one.  There was one I found particularly hard to read about a chilled killer, the description of the murdered kids was quite...well...descriptive to say the least.

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

First book £2.99 on amazon kindle store.  That'll do nicely, cheers

I would try and read the Logan MacRae books in order. You don't have to to understand the main plot but some of the later books do refer to earlier incidents/relationships that run throughout the series.

I would try and read the Logan MacRae books in order. You don't have to to understand the main plot but some of the later books do refer to earlier incidents/relationships that run throughout the series.

I'm reading one the Logan MacRae ones. Don't even know the title, was given three, just started with the first to hand. I didn't read the Rebus ones (only read 5 or 6) in any order either though. f**k the system, or something.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Just finished the latest Rebus book "Rather be the Devil", which as usual was very good.

I'm now at a bit of a loss for something to read on the train in the morning.  Anyone got any suggestions?

Been reading John Verdon books. Detective series on a retired US detective called Dave Guerney. If you like Rebus it's a similar tone - more whodunnit so less involvement of baddies but similar relationships between the current/retired police.