Last Book You Read....

H_B

Ian Rankin Resurrection Men

One of the later Rebus novels, but one of the best I've read. Rebus is sent back to Tullialan after a serious breach of the rules to take a "refresher" course for cops on their last chance, hence the title. But as usual all is not quite what it seems.

If you like Rebus, this is brilliant.

Saw this thread pop up again and came here to post similar sentiments. Recently read this and The Falls before it after a wee break from Rankin, they're fantastic books. I've the four remaining books stacked on the shelves for the coming months.

After finishing Resurrection Men, I picked up "Jack and Jill" by James Patterson. Similar idea, but nothing like the quality. It's a bit too brilliant good vs dark evil, the language he uses doesn't really fit the type of book he's writing in my opinion, but ultimately it gives you what you want I suppose.

Started reading Dracula today, thoroughly enjoying it. I must be one of the very few people to have missed all of the film versions, so very few preconceptions going in.

I am reading the Night Gardener by George Pelencanos.

I have it on a table at home ready to be opened. It's just been superseded by Michael Marshall for the last week.

I have enjoyed Pelecanos' previous efforts.

Reading Calcio By John Foot, is quite decent depends how interested you are in football really.

I read this on holiday during the summer there. I really enjoyed it, although someone who isn't as interested in Italian Football history as myself may not be so enthusiastic.

I don't think he's ever written a decent book yet. How he has sold so many of them is completely beyond me.

I bought 11 of them for £5 going solely on reputation, and the fact they were crime-based novels. An American Rankin, I thought. Oh dear.

Still, could sell them again and make a profit fairly easily.

Edit: Bought second hand from someone, if they were that cheap in a shop of any kind I'dve had reservations!

Edited by morrison

I remember a few years ago there was a big advertising campaign for the Patterson novel "Beach Road", where it was pushed in the same manner as a film or gritty TV series would be.

The naiive idiot in me bought the campaign hook, line and sinker. It was fucking shite.

The Observations by Jane Harris

At first glance this was like something like my Mum would read: written from the point of view of a Victorian servant girl working in a mansion with a strange mistress and a distant master of the house, but in actual fact it was one of the funniest, readable books I've read in ages. It's stock full of age-old literary motifs- the creaky attic, the self-righteous vicar, the smart lady of the house who subtly shows up her pompous dinner guests , but the book doesn't suffer from this; rather, it embraces the cliches and transforms them into a delightfully written story .

It just doesn't let up. Jane Harris writes the book as if the servant (Bessy Buckley) is sitting beside you telling you the story and some of her turns of phrase are delicious. This is simply wonderfully enjoyable and I would highly recommend it.

I also recently read Ghostheart by R.J. Ellory, who is fast becoming my favourite current author. His writing is superb. This book concerns itself ostensibly with the story of Annie, a lonely bookshop owner who is visited by an old acquaintance of her long dead father who slowly drip feeds her information about her Dad's life. It soon becomes a book within a book. The internal story is one of gangsters and violence, in stark contrast to the tale of emotionally fragile Annie who starts to form a delicate love affair with a customer.

Another fantastic book and I would advise anyone to get a hold of his books.

I've just finished reading THE GAME by Neil Strauss and THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL by Neil Strauss & Marilyn Manson.

The Game is awesome, very worth reading. Mind blowing at times, and both well written and short enough to not drag-on. It was what made me look at his other books, though the Manson biography was pretty poor- definitely designed simply to shocl 14 year olds, which was disappointing as I think there is a genuinely interesting story hidden somewhere within the man.

However, the real reason for my post is this...

THE INNOCENT MAN by John Grisham.

I am only halfway through this book, but I am amzed by it. It is his first non-fiction and it is scary beyond belief. It is an incredibly powerful story, but I am actually finding it very disturbing!

I've just finished reading THE GAME by Neil Strauss and THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL by Neil Strauss & Marilyn Manson.

The Game is awesome, very worth reading. Mind blowing at times, and both well written and short enough to not drag-on. It was what made me look at his other books, though the Manson biography was pretty poor- definitely designed simply to shocl 14 year olds, which was disappointing as I think there is a genuinely interesting story hidden somewhere within the man.

However, the real reason for my post is this...

I am only halfway through this book, but I am amzed by it. It is his first non-fiction and it is scary beyond belief. It is an incredibly powerful story, but I am actually finding it very disturbing!

I read that last week. It's actually really good, but immensely frustrating and very sad. I had it sitting for ages and never got round to reading it because I'm not that much of a Grisham fan, but I'm glad I eventually did.

I read that last week. It's actually really good, but immensely frustrating and very sad. I had it sitting for ages and never got round to reading it because I'm not that much of a Grisham fan, but I'm glad I eventually did.

I thought it was an interesting story, but pretty poorly written to be honest.

Read www.billpetersondistrictattorney.com for a few counters to what Grisham wrote, that muddy the waters slightly.

Doesn't excuse the D.A. or the police really, but I don't think Grisham comes over too well either. The way for example he glosses over the rape with violence, which the murder accused commits and admits committing, as some sort of minor misdemeanour, never mind, no harm done eh, is very poor.

I read this on holiday and enjoyed it too but was battered down by Jim Pansy and H_B.

First the music police, now the bloody book police! :rolleyes:

I have just finished The Ghost by Robert Harris - not the best one of his I have read and a bit disposable but entertaining none the less. Not really a fan of thrillers but this is the first time I have not been able to work out the twist in the tale.

Easy holiday read for those who fancy it - 7/10

I read this on holiday and enjoyed it too but was battered down by Jim Pansy and H_B.

That wasn't because you enjoyed it, it was because you gave it 3 marks more out of 10 than Catcher in the Rye, which is quite clearly unforgiveable.