Last Book You Read....

H_B

That wasn't because you enjoyed it, it was because you gave it 3 marks more out of 10 than Catcher in the Rye, which is quite clearly unforgiveable.

Clearly unforgiveable! :rolleyes: and that's not allowed by the book police!

CITR was tedious IMO. Why don't you tell me what books I should read and which marks I should give them :rolleyes::):)

Clearly unforgiveable! :rolleyes: and that's not allowed by the book police!

That is correct.

The Music or Book Police thing is a bit of a misnomer, but if someone says they think The Feeling are better than The Beatles, then they are clearly either taking the piss or have zero taste in music.

Ditto if you think John Grisham is better than J.D. Salinger. It's just plainly wrong.

This isn't of course the only possible example, or indeed the worst one.

Someone at work once told me they thought Quintin Jardine was the best writer of British Crime fiction. That is quite clearly a ludicrous view, which is beyond laughable. They may actually be the only person in Britain who believes this.

I tend to read quite heavy books, my missus buys a lot of books (being an English teacher you'd kind of expect that from her) and she has good taste so I pick up a lot from her.

One thing I have thought is that I need to read some more things that aren't Booker material so I've decided to give more crime fiction a go. I am enjoying Pelecanos at the moment and previously read 'The Butcher's Boy' by Thomas Perry, which was pretty good. I tried starting Stuart McBrides first novel but I stopped after about five pages as it was just shite. Sorry Stuart!

so I've decided to give more crime fiction a go.

At the risk of repeating myself, try Michael Marshall. You'll be pleased you did I think. Not pure crime fiction, but a bit of a crossover.

He write SF as well, as Michael Marshall Smith. I'm not an SF buff, so have no intention of reading them, but he shows in his non-SF stuff a few nods and winks to that genre.

Guest VanderDalgarno

Read "Crashed and Byrned"- Tommy Byrne with Mark Hughes over the weekend. Thought about just putting the book on my list to Santa, but decided just to go for it, after reading an excerpt in Autosport a couple of weeks ago

Basically a "knacker from Dundalk" whose only chance of getting out is by racing cars, which, fortunately, he seems to be rather good at, although he never quite makes it at the top level.

Some of the anecdotes and characters are ludicrous, scarcely believable, yet brilliantly told by Byrne, in a very abrupt and not-for-the-faint-hearted style. Thoroughly recommended to any motorsport fan, 10/10

Guest Ally's honest man

Wasted by Mark Johnson

The story of a junkie cum princes trust award winner. And of course its his drunken cheating wife beating father thats to blame. Not fair to say that as i am just started on it. Ill report back when i am further on. Good so far.

That is correct.

The Music or Book Police thing is a bit of a misnomer, but if someone says they think The Feeling are better than The Beatles, then they are clearly either taking the piss or have zero taste in music.

Ditto if you think John Grisham is better than J.D. Salinger. It's just plainly wrong.

I didn't say I thought Grisham was better than Salinger. I enjoyed the Grisham book better than I did the Salinger one. I might read another Grisham and think it was worse than another Salinger. (or vice versa)

Just because the book has been written by Salinger, Steinbeck or Lee, doesn't mean I'm going to decide to enjoy it more than I would a Grisham, Cornwell or Slaughter without even reading a page.

Vinnie Jones - The Autobiography, Confessions Of A Bad Boy 10/10

Brilliant read, some great chapters on his playing career, especially the chapter about Wimbledon's FA Cup triumph over Liverpool and how the match was won in the tunnel before a ball was kicked. I never really thought much of him before but I found him to be a hugely likeable character.

The Other Side of the Dales - Gervase Phinn

Story of Gervase Phinn's first appointment as a school inspector - filled with anecdotes from his day to day job. I thought it was really funny. Very touching in places - brought a tear to the eye. The stories about some of the kids he met made me giggle. Can't wait to read the next one (I think there are 5 in the series?).

Is there 5 now? I read the first three years ago after seeing him on 'This Morning' he seemed such a lovely man and told his stories so nicely on there I went out and bought his books! I passed them onto my Granny and she loved them!

*goes to amazon to investigae*

then remembers she has a 5 week old and won't get chance to read for at least 5 years!

Edited to add: just ordered the 4th in the series!

Edited by Rowan

Halloween, and I just finished reading Dracula :)

Thoroughly enjoyed it. It leaps straight in, before building slowly throughout. Shame it took me so long to give it a go, really. Having somehow missed any film adaption, I might have to try one or two of those now.

No idea what to pick up next, thoug I've plenty enough to choose from.

JG Ballard - Miracles of Life

Authobiography of the writer, I've read a few of his novels and enjoyed them (The Unlimited Dream Company blew my mind as a teenager) and was interested to read about his life. Much of it is about his time as a child during the war in Shanghai, experiences that went on to form the basis and ideas of his most famous novel Empire of the Sun (which I actually have never read, but the film was good :P ).

Beyond that part I found it a fascinating and easy read, his ideas for the most part in his novels and short stories I find fascinating so it was good to get some insight into where they came from. He came across as very humble and funny. It's perhaps not a great read for non-fans but probably essential for those who are.

8/10

• 2 weeks later...

Alexei Sayle's Overtaken. Quite funny, he turns a tragic event into a entertaining read that whiled away the traveling hours.

A Question Of Blood - Ian Rankin. The fourteenth Rebus novel, and delivered the quality I've come to expect.

I'm a third or so through Isaac Asamov's Foundation, the first of a five book series to my knowledge. It's interesting, I'm enjoying it already which must be a good sign. Just as well really, as I've already bought two of the other four.

Edited - Does anyone know where to go for second hand books in Edinburgh? I may be moving there late next year, and I don't know the place too well at all. A mixture of cheap & cheerful, and choice. If they come seperately, so be it!

Edited by morrison

Edited - Does anyone know where to go for second hand books in Edinburgh? I may be moving there late next year, and I don't know the place too well at all. A mixture of cheap & cheerful, and choice. If they come seperately, so be it!

I haven't payed it a vist for a long time, but Tills Bookshop on Hope Park Terrace (near The Meadows, parallel to Clerk St) certainly used to be a great wee shop.

Edinburgh's does have a fair choice of second hand book shops throughout the city though, the names of which escape me at the moment.