Last Book You Read....

H_B

Just finished 'Tripwire' by lee Child. That is my second of the Jack Reacher series and I really recommend them.

Anyone else agree they are a great read?

(and hope I do not find I have already posted on theis subject when i was pished lol)

:lol: and it was only 09.29!!

Maybe I am pished now ???

Doh - I tried to do a search but nothingcame up - dont have time to scroll through this massive thread!

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a c**t.

I think they are a bit one dimensional. Child seems to have run out of ideas by now in my opinion.

I finished JG Ballard's "High Rise" last week. It's a 1975 novel about the inhabitants of a swank high rise apartment which descends into an orgy of violence and destruction with rival floors planning and executing "attacks" on the other floors as the building divides itself into a rapidly splintering "class system". Like much of his work on the face of it it seems to depict human society either regressing (de-evolving if you like) or simply slipping into insanity, but also takes to the extreme some of the notions of human behaviour. I'm a big fan of what I've read of his and this was as disturbing yet gripping as expected.

I remember my ex reading "Crash", which she had to force herself to read at times but she did enjoy it. This thread's handy for jogging the ol' memory.

Just read "The Light Fantastic" by Terry Pratchett, which was possibly a little more entertaining than The Colour of Magic. It's taking a bit of mental toughness to stop myself buying the next couple in the Discworld series - my distraction for now is Alan Hansen's "A Matter of Opinion". For 50p, I thought it was worth a go.

I'm finally on the books I got for Christmas and I'm almost at the end of "The Tin Man: The Ted McMinn Story". Typical footballer autobiography, intertwining his career with his somewhat colourful personal life, reaching the crescendo of having to have his leg amputated, which gives it an unusual twist.

Next book I'm going to is "Rush", Ian Rush's autobiography which should tell a few tales about life with Liverpool in the 80's.

has anyone here ever read any of the Jack Reacher books by lee child?

They are very addictive... I am not a book worm by any stretch but have found it hard to put any of the last four down.

Yip i used to read a lot on the road,i read most of them,good stories.

My reading chops and changes. Serious stuff History/Biography to Lee Child /Grisham at the mo im going through some short stories from the late John Mortimar.

Somtimes i have two books on the go at a time.

I remember my ex reading "Crash", which she had to force herself to read at times but she did enjoy it. This thread's handy for jogging the ol' memory.

I've never been bold enough to read Crash yet, or indeed watch the film. The premise sounds totally disturbing, not sure I can relate to it in the same way I have his others. I'll probably try it at some point.

The one of his that I loved as a teenager is The Unlimited Dream Company, about a pilot who crashes into a river and escapes to the nearby town (Shepperton, where Ballard lives) where he becomes some sort of shamanistic sex god. It's pretty mental stuff but it blew me away. I picked it up cheap recently to re-read, it's on the list!

I've never been bold enough to read Crash yet, or indeed watch the film. The premise sounds totally disturbing, not sure I can relate to it in the same way I have his others. I'll probably try it at some point.

I've seen the film, but not read the book. It is excellent.

Fortune Hotel 3/10

A collection of short travel stories featuring Will Self, Howard Marks and loads of other authors I'd never heard of. I think there was 18 different stories of which onl about 5 were interesting.

Just finished "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden, the second in his trilogy of historical novels about the life of Genghis Khan.

I can't reccommend these highly enough to anyone, whether they've previously been into this kind of book or not. Absolutely fantastic.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

A mystery/crime thriller set in Sweden that is one of the best I have read in the genre for years. I can tell when I've been reading a good book as I get really annoyed when it's finished.

The characters are what stand out for me, really well written and while the book may seem slow to start with aswe get to know the 2 main protagonists, it really gets going in the second half.

Looking forward to the next 2 in the trilogy.

Just finished all 692 pages of the Warren Report. Surprisingly gripping read, leaves absolutely no doubt that Lee Harvey Oswald did indeed kill JFK, despite what Oliver Stone thinks.

I read a book on the subject years ago. Death of a President by William Manchester. It was so good I cant remember its conclusions.

The Warren Report was the official report just like the Hutton commission was about Iraq. That concluded that Alistair Campbell did not pull any strokes. I thought that was his job!

Over the past couple of weeks: American Tabloid (Ellroy), American Pastoral (Roth) and Ragtime (Doctorow).

American Pastoral was far and away the best of them, not been convinced by Roth before but this one is excellent. Bit underwhelmed by th Doctorow, giving the glowing reports I'd had of it from normally reliable sources.

A mystery/crime thriller set in Sweden that is one of the best I have read in the genre for years. I can tell when I've been reading a good book as I get really annoyed when it's finished.

The characters are what stand out for me, really well written and while the book may seem slow to start with aswe get to know the 2 main protagonists, it really gets going in the second half.

Looking forward to the next 2 in the trilogy.

I'm in the middle of that just now. It's really excellent - a slow burner.

Just finished "Lords of the Bow" by Conn Iggulden, the second in his trilogy of historical novels about the life of Genghis Khan.

I can't reccommend these highly enough to anyone, whether they've previously been into this kind of book or not. Absolutely fantastic.

I reckon they would be excellent books to learn about such an historical character an events of that time. Apparently old Genghis was a bit of a shagger.

Are these the books that weren't published until after the guy died? He only wrote about five or six, correct?