Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Reader - Bernhard Schlink

8/10

Quite enjoyed this - not seen the film which I think I might want to see now. It was written from Michael's perspective and although the third part of the book skimmed past most of his life after what happened to Hanna after the trial, you know how deeply affected he was by their affair, which started when he was just 15.

The last book I read (and for about the 4th time) was Yes Man by Danny Wallace- my favourite book of all time. The man is a comic genius. Never got round to seeing the film though, not sure if I want to!

Currently reading Hold Tight by Harlan Coben and struggling to get into it.

The Alistair Campbell Diaries, suprisingly by Alistair Campbell.

Tells the story of his time as Tony Blair's spin doctor from before the 1997 election until 2002.

You can't help but get the feeling you're being "spun" a bit, as he's admitted that it has been edited, no doubt to gloss over a few of the more embarassing incidents. Striking how often that he comments on Gordon Brown being moody, surly or just generally uncoperative.

The Daily Record, the bastion of Labour in Scotland, is absolutely loathed by Campbell, as it's always looking for special favours, but it's also noticeable how often he gives stories to the Sun to try and get them on Labour's side, usually stitching up Piers Moron at the Mirror (much to his annoyance) in the process, which is no bad thing.

An interesting read though.

Not the last book I read, but my favourite novel, and one I'm about to read again is "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde.

The first time I read it, I enjoyed it as a great yarn, but everyone I spoke to about it dismissed it as a rip-off of Faust. It is, but further reading made it obvious that it was self-critique, with the character of Lord Henry being an obvious take on Wilde himself.

Having read Wilde's own take on the novel, it becomes an entirely different read. "Basil Hallward is what I think I am: Lord Henry what the world thinks me: Dorian what I would like to be—in other ages, perhaps."

A stunning book, on so many different levels. If you haven't read it, do so now. :)

The Associate by John Grisham.

Lazy stuff. Looks like he got half way through and couldn't be bothered coming up with a decent ending. Reasonable premise, but essentially disappointing.

Now reading "Chasing the Darkness" by Robert Crais.

Michael Foot: A Life by Kenneth O. Morgan.

Beautifully written, well investigated and refreshingly honest for an authorised biography. If you have an interest in Brittish left wing politics I'd suggest it's invaluable.

The Associate by John Grisham.

Lazy stuff. Looks like he got half way through and couldn't be bothered coming up with a decent ending. Reasonable premise, but essentially disappointing.

Now reading "Chasing the Darkness" by Robert Crais.

You read a Grisham??

I never thought you'd lower yourself :rolleyes:

laidlaw by william mcilvanney 8-9/10

extremly thought-provoking, more concerned with grand themes and underlying issues, the plot seems to almost be of secondary importance. really makes you think, but i didnt think the plot was as involving as docherty, which is the only other one of his that ive read. however, there is definitely no shame in finishing behind docherty, which is the best book ive ever read.

I really enjoyed Laidlaw but I've never been able to get into Docherty.

Sunset song- Pish

I read the first two chapters of Sunset Song and came to the same conclusion. I really didn't enjoy it, still got an A for an essay I did in Higher English on it.

• 2 weeks later...

'An interpretation of Murder' by someone who's name I forget.

Interesting read and a fairly intriguing premise but his use of 'suspense' just gets fucking irritating and ends up detracting from the book.

Could have been far better.

Edited by lzreid

Since my last post, I've read the final two books of the Belgariad. Really enjoyed both, although as I said before it's the sort of thing that you'll either love or hate. Now started the follow up series, the Malloreon.

Blackpool Rocks by Steve Sinclair

Basically yet another hardman, gangster writes a book but quite a bit better than most of the genre although I was tempted to chuck it about 10 m inutes in. Really an easy read as you would expect but also a bit of a page turner once you get into it. Whether it's all true or a work of fiction is anyones guess but a reasonable book to read in a day.

Amazon review below:

To the police, he was Public Enemy Number One. To drunken gangs of yobs intent on trouble, he was a nightmare come true. Steve Sinclair was the toughest doorman in the wildest resort in Britain. Sinclair and his closest associates fought hundreds of battles against football hooligans, drug dealers and rival hardmen. The Blackpool Rock is a candid insight into the dangerous world of the modern doorman and of the extreme methods he sometimes employs to defend himself and his customers and to uphold his hard-won reputation.

Edited by mighty meadow

Palestine by Joe Sacco

It took 3 attempts to get past the beginning but it really is a fantastic read. Harks back to the pre-TV days of photo-journalism. A sobering account of life for ordinary Palestinians. Pretty grim stuff although I (as does Sacco himself) concede it's a one sided account of the conflict.