Last Book You Read....

H_B

Back from hols and lot of reading!

Grisham - The Innocent Man 9/10 - read it in one day, excellent non-fiction

Spookily enough, I just finished that today. I thought the story itself was interesting, but it was very poorly written.

There is quite an interesting website created by the prosecutor in the case. http://www.billpetersondistrictattorney.com/

Worth a read if the story interested you.

Back from hols and lot of reading!

Grisham - The Innocent Man 9/10 - read it in one day, excellent non-fiction

Picoult - Second Glance 8/10 - not bad

Salinger - Catcher in the Rye 6/10 - never read it at school, so tried it

La Plante - Clean Cut 4/10 - worst of the lot

Brookmyre - Country of the Blind 8/10 - quite good. reading the parlabane ones in order now

Rankin - Rebus short stories (Good Hanging) 7/10

Picoult - Mercy - not finished yet, but quite good

:)

6 out of ten yet you give John Grisham a 9? Christ on a bicycle.

Anyway, I'm reading, or re-reading for the first time since high school, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer. It's a massive great bugger of about 1200 pages, and I'm on chapter 7 and it's only 1922, but it's excellently written.

6 out of ten yet you give John Grisham a 9? Christ on a bicycle.

Anyway, I'm reading, or re-reading for the first time since high school, The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer. It's a massive great bugger of about 1200 pages, and I'm on chapter 7 and it's only 1922, but it's excellently written.

Well, if we all had the same taste life would be boring wouldn't it! :rolleyes:

I quite enjoyed Salinger, but maybe should've read it when I was younger and it would've appealed more. It was excellently written but my marks are for my enjoyment of the book.

Some bits of the Grisham book were a bit repetitive, the explaining of the medical stuff, over and over again for example, but I still enjoyed it.

I am heading off on holiday in the next four weeks so any suggestions for a good book would be appreciated. I am looking for one on the war in the Balkans and/or the Spanish Civil war, if anyone could recommend one on these subjects that would be great. :)

The Bedroom Secrets of the Master Chefs - Irvine Welsh.

Great read.

Eta: I had to dig up 15 pages to answer this, and Brookmyre gets a pinned thread for a book that's not even out. :o If I ever have to poof reed one ov yur buuks yer fooked.

You can tell this is a buddies forum. :P

Name the book that is not out ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the excellent "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.

A Dracula book with a twist, which is as much travelogue of the Carpathians as anything else. Very well written, and is surprisingly a debut.

8.5/10.

A Dracula book with a twist, which is as much travelogue of the Carpathians as anything else. Very well written, and is surprisingly a debut.

8.5/10.

A good book.

I am reading 'No Country For Old Men' by Cormac McArthy. It's a bit strange reading a book after having seen teh film but it's very enjoyable. The Chigurh character is probably more disturbing than in the film.

8.5/10.

Going to give that one a try next I think.

Going to give that one a try next I think.

It was a surprise hit with me. I was bought it as a present and ran out of things in the house to read.

Some of the places in it I have been to, and others I now want to.

I am heading off on holiday in the next four weeks so any suggestions for a good book would be appreciated. I am looking for one on the war in the Balkans and/or the Spanish Civil war, if anyone could recommend one on these subjects that would be great. :)

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell - based on his experiences fighting in the international brigades afgainst the facists. Very good book, has a genuine wit if very cynical about the whole affair.

Can't think of any good 'fiction' on either subject, per say... there is always the revisionist histories that blame the west for everything... Or you could try something like General Mike jacksons autobiography, he was the NATO commander in Kosovo, and is quite interesting reading...

Edited by renton

For Whom The Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway is about as good an account of the Spanish Civil War as you are likely to find.

Try Winter in Madrid by C J Sansom not to bad although can be a bit cliched.

I'm currently reading "The Battle for Spain" by Antony Beevor (who has also written good narrative histories of Stalingrad and the fall of Berlin).

Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia" is good on the betrayal of the Spanish Revolution by the Communists.