Last Book You Read....

H_B

Jesse James - Last Rebel of the Civil War, by TJ Stiles

Fascinating account of Jesse James time as a confederate guerilla during the civil war in anarchic Missouri (he committed some particulalrly racist, cowardly and brutal murders during this time) to the more romantic notion of him as a Robin Hood-like train and bank robber later in his life. It portrays Jesse as quite a conflicted man, paranoid, bitter amd filled with hatred for unionists and the detectives that pursued him as well as a humorous and literate man who purposely created his image as a noble bandit in the press. Excellent book, it really makes me want to watch 'The Assassination of Jesse James' again.

Just finished 'Relentless' by Dean Koontz.

I've been a fan of Koontz for many years, and indeed his book, Night Chills remains one of my top 10 books of all time. However, it's fair to say this one won't ever be in such a lofty position. A 'cat and mouse' thriller for most of it, and while parts are relatively exciting, none of it ever feels believable in the slightest. It then takes a remarkably silly supernatural turn near the end, and the ending itself is rushed and illogical. Shame, because as an author, Koontz is much, much better than this.

From tomorrow, I'll be re-visiting Detective Tom Thorne again (author Mark Billingham), as I'll pick up the series with the book, 'Buried'. Hopefully this will be better than the somewhat disappointing 'The Burning Girl', the last one I read.

Just found this thread yesterday - browsed back a fair few pagers and I've made a note of quite a few authors I haven't tried yet. Always a bonus.

I'm finishing the last few chapters now of The Gate House by Nelson DeMille, the sequel to The Gold Coast from a few years ago. Not bad, but lacks the depth of some of his others like Plum Island and The General's Daughter.

My normal reading tends to be books by Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, Michael Crais, etc., so if anyone knows of other authors in a similar vein I'd be interested.

Edited by JeffStelling

Just finished 'Relentless' by Dean Koontz.

I've been a fan of Koontz for many years, and indeed his book, Night Chills remains one of my top 10 books of all time. However, it's fair to say this one won't ever be in such a lofty position. A 'cat and mouse' thriller for most of it, and while parts are relatively exciting, none of it ever feels believable in the slightest. It then takes a remarkably silly supernatural turn near the end, and the ending itself is rushed and illogical. Shame, because as an author, Koontz is much, much better than this.

From tomorrow, I'll be re-visiting Detective Tom Thorne again (author Mark Billingham), as I'll pick up the series with the book, 'Buried'. Hopefully this will be better than the somewhat disappointing 'The Burning Girl', the last one I read.

I'm a big fan of his as well, I've just finished The Husband which I felt started of great and lost it's way towards the end a bit, a half decent read but nowhere near his usual high standard. My favourites of his are From The Corner Of His Eye, Lightning and Flase Memory

My normal reading tends to be books by Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, John Sandford, Michael Crais, etc., so if anyone knows of other authors in a similar vein I'd be interested.

I'd recommend John Connolly. Maine noir. Excellent.

Currently trying to read all 14 Sven Hassel books.

10 more to go! :D

Top man, every time I find one in a charity shop I'm compelled to buy it, just in case I don't have a copy of whatever I've found, But I usually do. Assignment Gestapo is my current toilet book, read it a couple of times already but who cares.

Top man, every time I find one in a charity shop I'm compelled to buy it, just in case I don't have a copy of whatever I've found, But I usually do. Assignment Gestapo is my current toilet book, read it a couple of times already but who cares.

There brilliant books.

I've currently read-

SS General

Comrades of War

Wheels of Terror

Reign of Hell

Liqudate Paris

Edited by Sooky

"The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"

This was ridiculously good. Definitely in the top 5 books I have ever read. It really is most inconvenient he died.

I decided to give this book a go after rave reviews from my Dad. To me it was absolute rubbish and read like any other nondescript airport novel. I got about 150 pages into it before I gave up - it was very formulaic and very poorly written, like an Enid Blyton book for grown-ups. Not a good one like a Famous Five though, more a Secret Seven.

Just finished reading the classic Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnigut and have moved on to Brilliant Orange - the neurotic genius of Dutch football by David Winner

Edited by Shawfield Stallion

I decided to give this book a go after rave reviews from my Dad. To me it was absolute rubbish and read like any other nondescript airport novel. I got about 150 pages into it before I gave up - it was very formulaic and very poorly written, like an Enid Blyton book for grown-ups. Not a good one like a Famous Five though, more a Secret Seven.

Totally agree, absolute garbage. Writing by numbers.

I just finished "Human Love" by Andrei Makine. The latest novel by the Russian author is another belter, which can be loosely described as charting a relationship between a Russian woman and Angolan revolutionary. There's no point in going into any more details as, like with most of Makine's work, it would be impossible to do it justice.

It's not quite as good as "A Life's Music" or "Requiem for the East" but it's stunning all the same. With the exception of Haruki Murakami, Makine is my favourite living novelist.

Now on to "Tender is the Night" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.