Last Book You Read....

H_B

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The help is the black maids that brought up children and did the cleaning, cooking etc for white families in Jackson, Mississippi in the 1960's.

Told through the eyes of the 3 main characters Aibileen and Minny (two black maids) and Miss Skeeter a graduate who misses her own maid and wants to do more than marry and have her kids brought up by a maid.

Full of prejudice, racism, love and funnies.

I really enjoyed it.

Where is the best place to get Judge Dread comics?

Probably Forbidden Planet, if there's one of them in Dundee, that's where I get most of my comic stuff from (although I use the Glasgow one). If they don't have individual issues they'll almost certainly have collections of them in graphic novel form. Although I remember there being a comic book shop in Victoria Road in Dundee but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Forbidden Planet have an excellent online shop so you'll probably be able to order something from there.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just re-read Dracula. It really is an excellent book.

I'm now ripping through 2001: A Space Odessey by Arthur C Clarke and it too is a very engaging read. If you've watched the film and found it slow or difficult to decipher then read the book.

I maintain that Kubrick ruined that story massively.

Make sure and read the sequal 2010: Odessey two. There are obvious anachorisms in it (being written in the cold war) but is in many ways superior to the original.

Finished Mr Nice last week, an utterly excellent read. Howard Marks has had one hell of a life.

Started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas this week by Hunter S Thompson and I'm about halfway through it. Very entertaining so far. I also started Crime and Punishment this week, but I'm only about 30 pages in so far.

Where is the best place to get Judge Dread comics?

Here;

10533807.jpg

The Black Hole,5-15 Victoria Road,

Dundee DD1 1ER

01382 221037

It's right across the road from the Ladywell Tavern , ask for George, tell him you're a Utd fan and you'll get a special discount!!!wink.gif

I maintain that Kubrick ruined that story massively.

Make sure and read the sequal 2010: Odessey two. There are obvious anachorisms in it (being written in the cold war) but is in many ways superior to the original.

To be fair on old Stanley, the novel by Clarke is based on the screenplay he himself co-wrote with......Kubrick.

Just finished reading' The Revolt Of The Cockroach People' by Oscar Zeta Acosta.

The Second part of an Autobiography by the larger than life Chicano attorney who would become the real life inspiration for Hunter S Thompson's "Dr Gonzo".

Zeta Acosta would fight against the oppression of the Chicano people by the Anglo establishment in the court room and on the streets in East Los Angeles during the late 60's and early 70's, supporting the militant Chicano movement and becoming a reluctant folk hero.

The Ghost by Robert Harris

Really enjoyed it.

It's about a ghost writer writing the memoirs of a former prime minister and his uncovering of things that don't sit quite right.

I wonder if Tony Blair read it. :lol:

I'm sure I watched a movie about this book not so long back.

Just finished reading' The Revolt Of The Cockroach People' by Oscar Zeta Acosta.

The Second part of an Autobiography by the larger than life Chicano attorney who would become the real life inspiration for Hunter S Thompson's "Dr Gonzo".

Zeta Acosta would fight against the oppression of the Chicano people by the Anglo establishment in the court room and on the streets in East Los Angeles during the late 60's and early 70's, supporting the militant Chicano movement and becoming a reluctant folk hero.

Any good?

Started Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas this week by Hunter S Thompson and I'm about halfway through it. Very entertaining so far. I also started Crime and Punishment this week, but I'm only about 30 pages in so far.

Do you often read more than one book at a time? Is it not hard to keep the two characters / plots seperate?

The Hobbit.

Took a notion to read this and TLotR again as I've not read them for years. I adore this book. As much as I liked the Harry Potter books for what they were, I wish more kids would read this.

9/10

Got a nice shiny new copy of LotR waiting now. My dads old copy succumbed to the ravages of time unfortunately :(

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I really enjoyed it.

Me too. Read it a couple of weeks ago, a few days after I finished 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and I was fully in the Southern States frame of mind... Both excellent boys, actually, and very educational on the side. Tough reading, mind you.

I've just finished reading GONE BABY GONE by Dennis Lehane, and couldn't recommend it highly enough! It is absolutely brilliant. Follows some private investigators looing for a lost child. Film is great, too (though never made the cinema as coincided with Madeleine McCann's disappearance, I believe) so has that bonus of read-then-watch.

Read KILLING FLOOR by Lee Child last week, and though it was quite fun it isn't a patch on the aforementioned 3 books. Entertaining in the same way an Arnie film from the mid-1990s is!

Now starting 'The Book Thief', I have high hopes...

The Hobbit.

Took a notion to read this and TLotR again as I've not read them for years. I adore this book. As much as I liked the Harry Potter books for what they were, I wish more kids would read this.

9/10

Got a nice shiny new copy of LotR waiting now. My dads old copy succumbed to the ravages of time unfortunately :(

I love the way The Hobbit turns from a kids book to almost a preview of the major battles in the later books,it's like it just moves up about three gears.

My favourite Lotr book recently has been The Silmarrilion,I love the (made up)history of the Men and Elves.

I have some interest in the Second World War, particularly the Eastern Front. I was wondering if anyone had read Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad"? If so, would you recommend it?

Worth reading.

For the whole story of the eastern front in mega detail, a two book thing both by Professor John Erickson. Road to Stalingrad and Road to Berlin. A massive read though.

The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer

Great book which was very enjoyable to read about a side of world war two you don't hear much about.

8/10

a heck of a tale and a really unique angle. Good while since I last read it, but certainly a good read.

I have some interest in the Second World War, particularly the Eastern Front. I was wondering if anyone had read Anthony Beevor's "Stalingrad"? If so, would you recommend it?

Barbarossa by Alan Clark is a good read.