Last Book You Read....

H_B

A lot of these big graphic nove;s have a lot of implied knowledge about the universe which is quite frustrating, the Death and rebirth of Superman was ridulous in that respect. But I remember Knightfall, and the Bane character from my childhood, it was awesome stuff.

I generally find the Batman ones are self contained and relatively free from multiple cross-references to other storylines or characters. The 2nd but even more so the 3rd books relied heavily on your prior knowledge of the backstories of many characters I didn't care for.

Bane however is a complete badass and the 1st book is brilliant.

I'm picking up The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night again. I only managed 2/3 of the way through last time before I was distracted.

I generally find the Batman ones are self contained and relatively free from multiple cross-references to other storylines or characters. The 2nd but even more so the 3rd books relied heavily on your prior knowledge of the backstories of many characters I didn't care for.

Bane however is a complete badass and the 1st book is brilliant.

If I ever have that particulalr itch I seek out standalone stuff rather than collected stuff rom the comics. For something left field I'd recommend "Red Son" by Scotland's own Mark Millar.

I'm picking up The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night again. I only managed 2/3 of the way through last time before I was distracted.

I remember being blown away by that when I first read it at 18. I reread it on a flight last year and I was a little deflated by it. i think it may be becasue I had built it up quite a lot in my head but also because it's great gimmick has arguably been superceded by The Incredible Adam Spark.

The Fort by Bernard Cornwell.

Usually a big fan of Cornwell's work, but wasn't that impressed by this. I just don't see why he considered this historical episode - which mainly consists of American generals falling out amongst themselves and not fighting against the British during the War of Independence - to be a story worth telling. He mentions in the afterword that the events took place close to the part of America in which he lives, and the whole thing just feels a bit self indulgent. Finishing this book felt like a chore.

Usually a big fan of Cornwell's work, but wasn't that impressed by this. I just don't see why he considered this historical episode - which mainly consists of American generals falling out amongst themselves and not fighting against the British during the War of Independence - to be a story worth telling. He mentions in the afterword that the events took place close to the part of America in which he lives, and the whole thing just feels a bit self indulgent. Finishing this book felt like a chore.

MMM I am just about to start that book.

Mate of mine at work gave me a memory stick today with over 720 books for the Kindle, which I've now added on to my device.

That's me set for the next few years then!

Currently reading The Hanging Shed on the Kindle just now. Set in Glasgow in 1946, it's started off well. The author paints quite a vivid picture of what the weedge must have been like back then.

I'm happy that's a dog as he'll probably now do something decent in his Saxon series.

lolita by vladimir nabokov. everyone knows the basic outline of the story, creepy old guy pumps 12 year girl which does make for some repulsive reading. on the other hand humbert humbert despite being a pyschopathic paedophile is a very convivial first person narrator and the entire novel is an enjoyable and very funny read. humbert's nymphet obsession is always at the centre of the story but the most entertaining aspect is his sardonic, old world european take on post ww2 american heartlands. it's the first nabokov book i've read and i was extremely impressed, its remarkable that anyone can write so well in a second language.

Just finished Meltdown by Ben Elton.

Yet another fantastic piece of satire by (in my opinion) the master of the art form, haven't found another author with the ability to write about the topics of the times with as much humour and poignancy as he does. Great piece of fiction about the repercussions of the recession. Strongly recommend it.

Just finished Orwells Farewell to Catalonia. It was his story as a militia man fighting the Fascist in the Spanish Civil War. It was a very personal recounting of his experiences and the futility of the war.

What struck me was the political nature of the book. Mostly it has to be said of the left,s ability to quite literally shoot itself in the foot. He recounts endless examples of the left carrying out countless purges amongst each other. You are left (no pun intended) with the feeling that he is utterly exasperated at the infighting. The right had little to do but sit back and wait.

Also interesting was the way it was reported both in Spain and elsewhere in Europe,particularly in Britain. In today's world with the Internet and the spin doctor,propaganda can be challenged. The reporting of the inter left fighting around Barcelona between the factions was an exercise in who could shout the loudest.

There was a real demonising of some groups. All at the end of the day to fight Fascism and Franco.

It is a short read,but a very interesting one. Orwell was political with a big P but his experiences in Spain and fighting dictatorships were to prove a huge ammount of knowledge that he was to put to good use in future works.

thanks was going to buy it in ASDA the other day, won't bother. I'll just wait for the next Uthred one....

The Fort by Bernard Cornwell. Total crap. Havn't read much of his stuff, just the American Civil War ones of a few years ago.

They were ok but The Fort was complete tedium.

Just finished Orwells Farewell to Catalonia. It was his story as a militia man fighting the Fascist in the Spanish Civil War. It was a very personal recounting of his experiences and the futility of the war.

What struck me was the political nature of the book. Mostly it has to be said of the left,s ability to quite literally shoot itself in the foot. He recounts endless examples of the left carrying out countless purges amongst each other. You are left (no pun intended) with the feeling that he is utterly exasperated at the infighting. The right had little to do but sit back and wait.

Also interesting was the way it was reported both in Spain and elsewhere in Europe,particularly in Britain. In today's world with the Internet and the spin doctor,propaganda can be challenged. The reporting of the inter left fighting around Barcelona between the factions was an exercise in who could shout the loudest.

There was a real demonising of some groups. All at the end of the day to fight Fascism and Franco.

It is a short read,but a very interesting one. Orwell was political with a big P but his experiences in Spain and fighting dictatorships were to prove a huge ammount of knowledge that he was to put to good use in future works.

Don't know if you've seen it, Capy, but the film Land and Freedom is very like Homage To Catalunya.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114671/

Don't know if you've seen it, Capy, but the film Land and Freedom is very like Homage To Catalunya.

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0114671/

Cheers i will look out for this. I had relatives who fought in the International brigade,so i am interested in the history. Believe it or not i have never read For Whom the Bell Tolls,but i have found a copy in my parents house so i will give it a read.

IT by Stephen King.

I enjoyed this. The story jumps between past and present, telling the reader of events during Its periods of activity in Derry, Maine. I found it to be very enjoyable - every bit the classic Good vs Evil tale with a good bit of gore and nightmarish scenes thrown in for good measure.

Now about to start Steep Approach to Garbadale by Iain Banks. This'll be the first of his novels I've read.

IT by Stephen King.

I enjoyed this. The story jumps between past and present, telling the reader of events during Its periods of activity in Derry, Maine. I found it to be very enjoyable - every bit the classic Good vs Evil tale with a good bit of gore and nightmarish scenes thrown in for good measure.

Bettered only by 'The Stand'. Two of my favourite books of all time.

got through loads of books on holiday

The Plot Against America by Philip Roth - 1940's America as a Jew - excellent

Fatherland by Robert Harris - what Germany would've been like if hitler had won - very good

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson - set in Edinburgh festival time, ex policeman solves crime - enjoyed it

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave - a refugee in England and how her past catches up with her new circumstances - not the best

Not a Penny More , Not a Penny Less by Jeffrey Archer - 5 professionals try to outsmart a millionaire to gain back money lost - just OK

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly - very Grisham-ish. Good.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton - one sister is missing, the other wants to find her and does it with or without police help. Good.

*Battens down the hatches*

THe Thoughts of Chairman Moore by Brian Moore.

A collection of the sports pieces he did for the Telegraph.

Now, by any measure - at all - I should disagree with just about everything he writes. I don't - I agree with practically all of it.

He comes over as a thoroughly decent and compassionate man, with a bit of a brain going on as well. Sorry. :(