The Gaslight Anthem

GorgieRoad

My only worry for this album, is that it might be over-produced. I can hear a lot of studio tricks. Will they truly be able to replicate this quality live ? I'm not honestly sure. Compare the studio version of "Biloxi Parish" and "45" to the live versions. Quite different.

In that side of things, I think the songs sound like they will be pretty brilliant live, and maybe even moreso than the album versions. I REALLY can't see them trying to keep to the tricks of the album.

It's still the best album I've heard this year by far. I think this could be the album that propels them into the mainstream. Songs like "Howl" and "45" sound very radio-friendly. That's not a bad thing. These songs still contain Fallon's raw and honest lyrics and that Jersey punk spirit.

You could actually say that for a few of the songs on "American Slang" actually, and to a lesser extent, "The 59 Sound" has songs on it, particularly the title track, that could have seen them explode into the mainstream.

When I first heard the album I was actually a little disappointed, but having given it more than a few listens I would probably put it up there with my favourite albums of all time. Best songs for me are probably Handwritten, American Dream (a superb end to the album) and Howl.

I've had quite a few people post the video of '45' on facebook whereas before that I'd hardly seen anything posted about them. I known it's a bit of a shite indicator of popularity but it does look like they are gaining a bit more recognition.

In that side of things, I think the songs sound like they will be pretty brilliant live, and maybe even moreso than the album versions. I REALLY can't see them trying to keep to the tricks of the album.

Good shout. Perhaps I was just being cynical. Can't wait to see these songs live though!

You could actually say that for a few of the songs on "American Slang" actually, and to a lesser extent, "The 59 Sound" has songs on it, particularly the title track, that could have seen them explode into the mainstream.

I think the reason it'll reach the mainstream is the record label. Mercury are huge compared to Side One Dummy. There promoting it quite heavily. You can't pick up Kerrang without seeing "The Gaslight Anthem" somewhere.

My only worry for this album, is that it might be over-produced. I can hear a lot of studio tricks. Will they truly be able to replicate this quality live ? I'm not honestly sure. Compare the studio version of "Biloxi Parish" and "45" to the live versions. Quite different.

It's still the best album I've heard this year by far. I think this could be the album that propels them into the mainstream. Songs like "Howl" and "45" sound very radio-friendly. That's not a bad thing. These songs still contain Fallon's raw and honest lyrics and that Jersey punk spirit.

Also, "Mae" is quite literally the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

Agree with that entirely. New Jersey for all its sins has produced the holy triumvirate of Bruce Springsteen, Ted Leo aUnd the Pharmacists and The Gaslight Anthem. This album falls plonk in the middle of those. (The acoustic song could come straight off Nebraska).

Speaking of Mae, it's gorgeous. It seems to me to be made up of lyrics from other songs. Without googling, how many songs can you find? Starter for one; Tom Waits Downtown Train.

Actually having listened to their first couple of album, he does nick lyrics a lot, especially from Mr Waits.

Edited by Savage Henry

My heart quite literally fell through the floor when I saw the back of the album - "mixed and produced by Brendan O'Brien" I cannot begin to convey how much I detest what that man does to albums. Overproduced, overblown, self indulgent nonsense.

Speaking of Mae, it's gorgeous.

Agree with this though (and I know dan_ict said it as well) - this song is beautiful.

Got around to listening to this album this morning and it's 90% forgettable for me. Not impressed. "45" was good but it was downhill from there. Ah well.

edit: except Mae, I do need to join in the love for that, it did grow on me the second time

Edited by Swampy

Agree with that entirely. New Jersey for all its sins has produced the holy triumvirate of Bruce Springsteen, Ted Leo aUnd the Pharmacists and The Gaslight Anthem. This album falls plonk in the middle of those. (The acoustic song could come straight off Nebraska).

Speaking of Mae, it's gorgeous. It seems to me to be made up of lyrics from other songs. Without googling, how many songs can you find? Starter for one; Tom Waits Downtown Train.

Actually having listened to their first couple of album, he does nick lyrics a lot, especially from Mr Waits.

I've noticed this. Especially Downtown Train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFPd7rRJltg

Love the inclusion of the songs, works so well. Thewhole performance of that set at Reading is unbelievably good though.

My heart quite literally fell through the floor when I saw the back of the album - "mixed and produced by Brendan O'Brien" I cannot begin to convey how much I detest what that man does to albums. Overproduced, overblown, self indulgent nonsense.

Agree with this though (and I know dan_ict said it as well) - this song is beautiful.

What else did he produce? I'm guessing off of hand The Killers?

What else did he produce? I'm guessing off of hand The Killers?

I only know of the artists/bands I like to be honest, I'm not really a fan of The Killers - he done four of the last six Springsteen albums (The Rising, Devils & Dust, Magic & Working On a Dream) and AC/DC's Black Ice. Although just having a quick check at his wiki page, and it seems he was behind the desk on Brandon Flowers solo album Flamingo.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

276735_384408923304_1558700481_q.jpg

THE GASLIGHT ANTHEM

Announcing some more tour dates! If you're in the 45 RPM make sure to check your mail as you should be getting a message soon with links for the exclusive fanclub presale. Make sure to keep an eye on the Tour Dates section of our Facebook as we update it today with venue-presale info. General on-sale for all shows starts November 16!

March 21 @ Bristol Academy (Bristol, UK)

March 22 @ Bristol Academy (Bristol, UK

March 23 @ Leeds Academy (Leeds, UK)

March 24 @ Glasgow Academy (Glasgow, UK)

March 25 @ Glasgow Academy (Glasgow, UK)

March 27 @ Manchester Academy (Manchester, UK)

March 28 @ Manchester Academy (Manchester, UK)

March 29 @ Troxy (London, UK)

March 30 @ Troxy (London, UK)

April 03 @ Store Vega (Copenhagen, DK)

April 04 @ Rockefeller/Sentrum Scene (Oslo, NO)

April 05 @ Berns (Stockholm, SE)

April 06 @ Tragarn (Goteborg, SE)

Like · · Share · 1514717 · 7 minutes ago ·

Was really looking forward to the album but can't lie, it isn't one of thier best. '45' and 'Handwritten' are exceptions although the rest is pretty poor. Would say that it may be thier worst so far. certainly not as good as American Slang and The 59 Sound.

What a fud I was.

Got my tickets for both nights in March biggrin.gif