Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Beady Eye songs...

AberdeenHibee

Without copying in all the experts, heres just a historical news item on Ticketmasters dynamic pricing for tickets in the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62919634

It certainly isn't a new thing and anyone with previous experience of buying highly saught after tickets from would have know. Waiting all those hours on hold would have been better served researching Ticketmaster than trying to learn some of the songs that Oasis released. My partners friend spent 8 hours in the que, when asked to name 3 songs she could only name Wonderwall. 

The most mental thing about this is that I genuinely believe Oasis could have transparently set all tickets at £300-£350 from the outset and still sold out the tour easily without suffering all this reputstional damage. 

26 minutes ago, Plumpy said:

Without copying in all the experts, heres just a historical news item on Ticketmasters dynamic pricing for tickets in the UK https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62919634

It certainly isn't a new thing and anyone with previous experience of buying highly saught after tickets from would have know. Waiting all those hours on hold would have been better served researching Ticketmaster than trying to learn some of the songs that Oasis released. My partners friend spent 8 hours in the que, when asked to name 3 songs she could only name Wonderwall. 

Most people going for tickets weren’t going to know about this though - when was the last time there was anything like this demand for tickets for an event in UK? Maybe Taylor Swift but it would be largely different audiences. People see the price of tickets as advertised and that’s what they expect to be paying that’s how we are programmed to act in a capitalist system. Just because there was a news article about it almost 2 years ago doesn’t mean people should have been prepared for this to happened. I’m not sure why you are taking this stance.

As for your final point It’s obvious that a lot of people just got tickets as they were hot property as opposed to being massive fans. I had to hear from a man whose teenage son got 4 tickets for him and his friends despite none of them really being into the band at all. I still feel confident of getting a ticket closer to time, 200 k people going in Edinburgh there’s always going to be cancellations.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hold on, you can't actually be claiming Oasis are the only band with two great/classic albums?!

No I'm not, I'm saying it's very reasonable to argue that Oasis made 2 classic albums in which each track is excellent, and I challenge you to name me a band with more than that i.e. 3 or more albums which you would happily put on and listen to every track. 

Don't pretend you put on 'Tommy' or 'Station to Station' or 'The Wall' or 'Exile on Main St' these days and listen to them right the way through.

Edited by milhouse

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

No I'm not, I'm saying it's very reasonable to argue that Oasis made 2 classic albums in which each track is excellent, and I challenge you to name me a band with more than that i.e. 3 or more albums which you would happily put on and listen to every track. 

Straight off the top of my head, Massive Attack, Sleater-Kinney, Will Oldham and Nick Cave. 

1 minute ago, carpetmonster said:

Straight off the top of my head, Massive Attack, Sleater-Kinney, Will Oldham and Nick Cave. 

Blue Lines is good, don't think I could get through all of Mezzanine or Protection, Sleater-Kinney and Nick Cave name the 3 or more albums. Definitely Maybe and What's The Story are almost faultless.

1 minute ago, milhouse said:

Blue Lines is good, don't think I could get through all of Mezzanine or Protection, Sleater-Kinney and Nick Cave name the 3 or more albums. Definitely Maybe and What's The Story are almost faultless.

SK - first one, Call The Doctor, Center Won't Hold

Bad Seeds - The Good Son, Henry's Dream, Boatman's Call

Oldham - Viva Last Blues, I See A Darkness, Wolfroy Goes To Town

Edited by carpetmonster

3 minutes ago, milhouse said:

What about Pablo Honey and the Bends?

21 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Don't pretend you put on 'Tommy' or 'Station to Station' or 'The Wall' or 'Exile on Main St' these days and listen to them right the way through.

I'm not a Stones fan so won't claim such a thing.

But you seem to be making out that Oasis are some sort of incredible exception here.

They absolutely aren't, except to you, and I say that as someone who has those albums you note and likes them (not as much as you like them though!).

I'd name you multiple bands that have at least two consecutive albums that I love and would absolutely listen to all the way through, but it's all subjective.

Edited by DA Baracus

27 minutes ago, milhouse said:

The Smiths did four, five if you count Hatful of Holllow. All in about five years. 

12 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'd name you multiple bands that have at least two consecutive albums that I love and would absolutely listen to all the way through, but it's all subjective.

I bet you were a massive Steps fan in the late 00’s.

10 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm not a Stones fan so won't claim such a thing.

But you seem to be making out that Oasis are some sort of incredible exception here.

They absolutely aren't, except to you, and I say that as someone who has those albums you note and likes them (not as much as you like them though!).

I think age is probably a factor. Or maybe time rather than age. I saw Oasis two and a half times - Barrowlands in late 94 when Liam f**ked off after 3 songs, Noel did an extended acoustic set and then dragged the rest of the band on for two or three songs, the rescheduled full gig of that show about a month later (fair play to them for doing it) and then Irvine Beach. I'd have been 15 and 16 for those shows, so still developing musical tastes, and by the time I was in my early 20s, Oasis weren't that interesting anymore. If I'd been that little bit older where I could have drank 12 pints and imbibed various recreationals at said shows they'd probably still be the best thing ever. As it is, while I still very much like Definitely Maybe and What's The Story, I haven't listened to them in years - there's no real need, they're imprinted in your brain - and if I'm going back to LPs of that period it's usually something I discovered a little later, like To Bring You My Love, or Grace, or Selected Ambient Works Vol II. 

21 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

The Smiths did four, five if you count Hatful of Holllow. All in about five years. 

The Smiths were my initial thought as well when the point was raised. I’d also say that New Order have at least 5 albums that meet the criteria as well.

Tickets starting to appear on Twickets now for various shows.

Most seem to be buyer’s remorse, insanely-priced, platinum tickets but I managed to nab a face-value standing ticket for the Tuesday night Murrayfield gig, so opportunities are there. 

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

It’s from The Scum, so take with a huge pinch of salt, but apparently, NYC, LA, Boston, Chicago, Toronto and CDMX

ETA - zoom the pic out and scroll down for the ‘dates’ 

IMG_4476.jpeg

Some big venues there, Downsview Park can hold about half a million folk!

37 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Tickets starting to appear on Twickets now for various shows.

Most seem to be buyer’s remorse, insanely-priced, platinum tickets but I managed to nab a face-value standing ticket for the Tuesday night Murrayfield gig, so opportunities are there. 

Yeah a couple have appeared in dribs and drabs over the course of the day but so far they have been above my price point.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Look at this sentence from what plumpy posted. Ticketmaster basically saying punters being fleeced is important for the vibrancy of the industry. f**k off.

IMG_1907.jpeg

Glad I got a ticket in the pre-sale but won't be going too another big/major gig after reading this. Ticketmaster can go f**k theirselves. Hopefully the government do something about them.