The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

On 7/31/2016 at 21:41, philpy said:

Bought some of this yesterday, been trying to source it for ages after having it on draft in the Guildford arms nearly two years ago. Lovely stuff, very nice aftertaste. I also had a nice pint of "silkie stout" in the Guildford arms yesterday. Very drinkable, Although at £3.90 a pint, one was enough.IMG_1469997684.940743.jpg

Had a Silkie Stout recently. Very pleasant. However, the best dark beer I've had of late is Fallen Chew Chew.

Was out last week before the Celtic v Barca UCL game, was in Bacchus on Glassford St and had 2 very tasty pints of Twisted Thistle, lovely stuff.  

Goose IPA is my go to pale ale from Morrisons, bit strong but tend to only have 2 or 3 anyway.

21 hours ago, Willie adie said:

The second issue of nutmeg magazine has a promotion for beer52, anyonbe used them before and any good?

If you enjoy sub 5% beers and lagers especially then it's a fantastic service. Otherwise, it's not really worth the expense. You'd be better saving the money and choosing your own stuff at a bottleshop.

The box was often like playing roulette in terms of quality and on a couple of occasions it was more like Russian Roulette. It seemed like an endless stream of lagers and pales under 5%. To their credit, you do get a lot of exclusives in the box, but they don't tend to be anything mindblowing. When they got an exclusive deal to introduce two Oskar Blues beers into the UK, it was a Mexican styled lager and an American styled wheat ale. Both were most acceptable, but considering some of the beers Oskar Blues do it was a massive disappointment

The lack of choice was an issue for me. In an effort to overcome this not uncommon criticism they introduced a preference service where you could indicate the type of beers you prefer. My selection of IPAs was soundly ignored an my box contained the maximum number of darker beers available that month.

Their claim that they will be supplying beers you can't find in the supermarket is misleading - I've had plenty of supermarket staples, including Brewdog's This is Lager, Dead Pony Club, Black Isle's Yellowhammer and Fyne Ales' Jarl which you could probably find in your local cornershop, never mind supermarkets.

I've cancelled due to the frequent disappointments and signed up for this beer club instead. Introductory offers for Beer52 tend to be very good, so I guess it won't hurt to give them a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Kirkstall Framboise & Brewdog Jet Black Heart

The Framboise just smells and tastes like fizzy raspberry juice. Very tasty indeed though doesn't taste like beer at all. Only 3.6% but the type of thing you could chug and end up slooshed very easily.

I've had Jet Black Heart in a bottle before and it was perfectly decent but wouldn't rush to get again. They have it here as a nitro pour and it's the first Brewdog nitro I've had. Very smooth. Nice roast coffee but with just a faint bitterness. More Murphy's (the proper Irish stuff, not the pish brewed under licence in the UK) than Guinness. Gid.

beers.png

Trip to Aldi on the cards - two new exclusives from Williams Bros. After they knocked it out the park with Perfect Storm, hopefully they'll be on a par with that.

ALDI-NEW.jpg

Was in today and noticed these. Also had Double Joker which I bought and thoroughly recommend to anyone.

28 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Just got a couple of bottles of Wihenstephan Crystal. Lovely drop.

Had the Crystal (Kristall), HeffeWeiss and Dunkel varieties when I was over in Bavaria last year. All three are lovely in different ways. 

Edited by stu20vt

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Trip to Aldi on the cards - two new exclusives from Williams Bros. After they knocked it out the park with Perfect Storm, hopefully they'll be on a par with that.

ALDI-NEW.jpg

Love Perfect Storm however I couldn't warm to The Golden Ratio. Will be checking these out at my next Aldi beer run.

This is an imperial stout with peanut, chocolate, coffee, and caramel flavours. It's sweet and thick and strong. I have never been a fan of stout or porter but this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. At 11.0abv and £10 a bottle I don't think I will be having too many of them. Seriously, if you are a fan of stouts or porter you really have to try this.

20161202_163808.jpg

This is an imperial stout with peanut, chocolate, coffee, and caramel flavours. It's sweet and thick and strong. I have never been a fan of stout or porter but this is one of the best beers I have ever tasted. At 11.0abv and £10 a bottle I don't think I will be having too many of them. Seriously, if you are a fan of stouts or porter you really have to try this.

20161202_163808.jpg

The perfect beer for a Klan meeting.