The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

This time of the year its cider. The best in my opinion is Weston's Organic but at the moment I favour Kopparberg strawberry/lime or mixed fruit, but the best Kopparberg I've tried is the Cloud Berry (or Nordic Berry).

bottle_cloudberry.png

Its a bit of a nostalgic thing, but I have yet to find a bottled Cider and black anywhere up here. Not so much myself back 25 years ago I drank 'Newky Broon' or McEwans 80' shilling more often but the crowd I used to meet up with in the Market Bar would drink cider and black current.

This time of the year its cider. The best in my opinion is Weston's Organic but at the moment I favour Kopparberg strawberry/lime or mixed fruit, but the best Kopparberg I've tried is the Cloud Berry (or Nordic Berry).

bottle_cloudberry.png

Its a bit of a nostalgic thing, but I have yet to find a bottled Cider and black anywhere up here. Not so much myself back 25 years ago I drank 'Newky Broon' or McEwans 80' shilling more often but the crowd I used to meet up with in the Market Bar would drink cider and black current.

This is why the wasps try to get you.

Whilst i'm on a rant what have Heineken done to the formerly peerless Caledonian Brewery? I see they've changed the name of 80/- to "Edinburgh Castle". What the actual f**k?

Caledonian used to have a brilliant range of beers from tasty sixty bob all the way to ninety shilling, porter, merman and Golden promise (which you never see much now). Deuchars aside it's gash now. Flying Scotsman is bang average and their seasonal stuff is crap.

Totally ruined by the man.

Is this a recent development? I had Caley 80/- a few months back in Tennent's in Byers Road in Glasgow and it was a braw pint.

Currently enjoying a nice cold tin of Sierra Nevada in the Vale. Going down awfy well after an awfy warm band practice.

Its a bit of a nostalgic thing, but I have yet to find a bottled Cider and black anywhere up here. Not so much myself back 25 years ago I drank 'Newky Broon' or McEwan]s 80' shilling more often but the crowd I used to meet up with in the Market Bar would drink cider and black current.

You can buy Merrydown with blackcurrant in it from ASDA/Tesco

Asda have started to stock William brothers

Just noticed this last night in the Irvine store :-) Also went to a meet the brewer event with Broughton in the local Wetherspoons. Only had one ale that I hadn't tried before called 'the Ghillie'. Nice and summery but unfortunately it is being phased out. On the plus side the rep gave me a couple of bottles when he was packing up (Merlins and Blonde). A good evening was had :-)

Asda have started to stock William brothers

About time!

Edit to add: I popped in Aldi East Kilbride on my way home last week - they have the lesser seen Perfect Storm and Golden Ratio. Both £1.50 and both decent summer ales.

20150805_184255_zpsizjjmxjh.jpg

Edited by milton75

Just noticed this last night in the Irvine store :-) Also went to a meet the brewer event with Broughton in the local Wetherspoons. Only had one ale that I hadn't tried before called 'the Ghillie'. Nice and summery but unfortunately it is being phased out. On the plus side the rep gave me a couple of bottles when he was packing up (Merlins and Blonde). A good evening was had :-)

Love a pint of Ghillie. Can't believe it's being phased out. Happy memories of drinking that many, many moons ago at the Crook Inn.

I got offered a new job last week, so decided to celebrate and buy a few good ales, try and get a wee stock together in my cellar.

Picked a few out to have this weekend, as can be seen below -

post-30184-14401770521084_thumb.jpg

I've also got 40 or so pints of my home brew to get through, which I cracked open tonight as well. Bought a Co2 injector for the keg though, so not in any rush to drink this, it should get better the longer it conditions.

post-30184-14401771240838_thumb.jpg

Nice bread bin. Not so sure about the chopping boards unless they're colour coordinated for raw meat and veg?

I've had just about enough of you slagging my colourful kitchen attire. I bet you're a cream/white all over, boring git!

Slightly aff topic, I watched Burnistoun for the first time last week. To paraphrase Frankie Howerd "not a titter" did it raise. It was utter shite.

Back on topic, doing a Caledonian theme tonight with Deuchars, Edinburgh Castle, and Flying Scotsman on the menu.