The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of pints yesterday in the Auld Brig. First up was Burton Porter from Burton Bridge Brewery. Porter is one of my favourite styles of beer and this one looked lovely in the glass. Not quite black with a nice foamy head. Unfortunately it tasted like it was just starting to turn with an initial, slight vinegary taste. It would probably have been a decent beer when fresh but not yesterday.

Second beer was Inbetween, a collaboration between Everards (Leicester) and Sudwerk (Switzerland). A lovely smooth (dark) brown ale with prominent caramel and nut taste. Very smooth and well balanced. Much better than I expected.

I also had a bottle of beer after dinner last night from Aldi's recent Scottish Beer Festival. Wolf is a lovely, dark and strong (6% ABV) Scottish Ale from Windswept Brewery in Lossiemouth. Lots of chocolate, liquorice and dark fruits and a heavy mouthfeel. One of the best I've had recently.

Not wanting to brag or anything, but I've been given an invite to a private piss-up in the Orkney Brewery which the owners are organising for a friend's 30th birthday. A whole night of Dark Island, Skullsplitter, Dragonhead, Northern Light etc fresh from the barrel. Ooh yeah. 8)

Found out last night that Lidl were stocking Titanic Plum Porter at £1.49. Had a very drunken night on this stuff last April in the Salt Cot but haven't saw it anywhere since. Anyway, nipped over to the Stevenson store today and got the last 6 bottles. First time in Lidl and was quite surprised at the offerings. Ended up with 17 beers, a big bag of tatties, 3 pack of Wrigley's Extra and 2 carrier bags for just over £24 :-)

Not wanting to brag or anything, but I've been given an invite to a private piss-up in the Orkney Brewery which the owners are organising for a friend's 30th birthday. A whole night of Dark Island, Skullsplitter, Dragonhead, Northern Light etc fresh from the barrel. Ooh yeah. 8)

Well jell, as the young people say. I believe.

Found out last night that Lidl were stocking Titanic Plum Porter at £1.49. Had a very drunken night on this stuff last April in the Salt Cot but haven't saw it anywhere since. Anyway, nipped over to the Stevenson store today and got the last 6 bottles. First time in Lidl and was quite surprised at the offerings. Ended up with 17 beers, a big bag of tatties, 3 pack of Wrigley's Extra and 2 carrier bags for just over £24 :-)

It's funny that you should post about this porter as I was coming on to talk about it. Picked a bottle of it up in Lidl earlier and working my way through it now, absolutely beautiful. There was only a few left on the shelf when I was in, really gutted I only bought one!

Haul for tonight. Relying heavily on PnB's recommendation!

Question though; I normally leave porters at room temperature and I'll put the I&G in the fridge. What's best for the wheat beer?

nice wee selection. Personally I would chill the wheat beer. The plum porter is lovely. Had it in bottle form for first time last night and it's almost on a par with the keg version. Enjoy your night :-)

It's funny that you should post about this porter as I was coming on to talk about it. Picked a bottle of it up in Lidl earlier and working my way through it now, absolutely beautiful. There was only a few left on the shelf when I was in, really gutted I only bought one!

definitely one of my favourite beers. I wasn't surw how the bottle would compare to keg but there's really not much difference. Will be nipping back to aldi for more.

Buxton Brewery - Yellow Belly (11%)

Big, powerful aromas of milk chocolate digestives and peanut butter. Almost a hint of tablet/fudge aswell.

Peanut butter a bit more subtle in the taste but still lurking below the surface. Strong, rich chocolate and maybe some burnt sugar. Wee hint of vanilla aswell. Very smooth considering the strength. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

post-22047-0-42415900-1448828697_thumb.jpost-22047-0-94611000-1448828712_thumb.jpost-22047-0-68962400-1448828727_thumb.j

Big, powerful aromas of milk chocolate digestives and peanut butter. Almost a hint of tablet/fudge aswell.

Peanut butter a bit more subtle in the taste but still lurking below the surface. Strong, rich chocolate and maybe some burnt sugar. Wee hint of vanilla aswell. Very smooth considering the strength. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

attachicon.gif20151129_194403-1.jpgattachicon.gif20151129_193704-1.jpgattachicon.gif20151129_193857.jpg

Had that Buxton Yellow Belly too...fantastic, as is their Tsar Imperial Stout.

£6.99 for a box of 4 bottles from Ellie's Cellar in Perth.

attachicon.gif20151201_181305-1.jpg

Pleasing that Clootie Dumpling is back. Intrigued to try Brewdog's festive offering also .

attachicon.gif20151201_174439-1.jpg

The Hoppy Christmas is lovely, it's like a lighter version of the DIPA that they brew for Tesco.

attachicon.gif20151129_194403-1.jpgattachicon.gif20151129_193704-1.jpgattachicon.gif20151129_193857.jpg

The BA version - Yellow Belly Sundae - is a triumph.

Certainly one of my favourite UK breweries, would recommend a trip a to the taproom - now the only place that sells their beers on cask. The Yellow Belly on cask was ridiculous.

Went to Aldi and bought two bottles of lager just to try as this thread spurred me on and I've tried most of the relatively well known crafts. Anyways - I got Black Wolf Coulls and a bottle of St Mungos. St Mungos has became one of my favourites already. Anyone tried it? Coulls is a bit overbearing in flavour for my liking but not the worst I've tasted.

Went to Aldi and bought two bottles of lager just to try as this thread spurred me on and I've tried most of the relatively well known crafts. Anyways - I got Black Wolf Coulls and a bottle of St Mungos. St Mungos has became one of my favourites already. Anyone tried it? Coulls is a bit overbearing in flavour for my liking but not the worst I've tasted.

Interesting. Personally, I'm not a West fan. Better than the mass brand lagers but a bit too sweet for my palate is St Mungo's.