The P & B Beer, Lager, Ale, Stout and Cider Guide

Zizou-5

I'm currently having a smoked porter, made partly by the Stupavar brewery in Slovakia. It's 17 degrees by the local method of classifying beer, which converts to around 7% alcohol. Not sure how the actual smoking process works, but its smell and flavour is intense without being overpowering.

Very, very dece for a premium, €2.90 pint in their pub in Bratislava old town, which is well worth visiting. Its standard range of Stupavar beers are all under €2 a pint and are excellent quality. Off to the pub run by the Czech Kout na šumavé brewery for some of their renowned lagers for under €2 a pop as well. Highly pleasing.

Went to Morrison's today with Mrs B, and while she was frittering away our mullah on chicken, vegetables and stuff like that, for a mere £40 I got loads of excellent beers from the breweries of Williams, I&G and Harvieston. They really have a nice selection.

Edited by Bold Rover

I'm currently having a smoked porter, made partly by the Stupavar brewery in Slovakia. It's 17 degrees by the local method of classifying beer, which converts to around 7% alcohol. Not sure how the actual smoking process works, but its smell and flavour is intense without being overpowering.

Very, very dece for a premium, €2.90 pint in their pub in Bratislava old town, which is well worth visiting. Its standard range of Stupavar beers are all under €2 a pint and are excellent quality. Off to the pub run by the Czech Kout na šumavé brewery for some of their renowned lagers for under €2 a pop as well. Highly pleasing.

I'm visiting my uncle in Prague on Tuesday, will see if it has travelled over the border. Cheers!

I'd be surprised if you find that, but you should find an excellent pint of Kout among others in the spit and sawdust, but excellent pub area of Zizkov. There's quite a few excellent local pubs on that main street, this being the most well-known:

http://www.praguebeergarden.com/pubs/post/u-slovanske-lipy

For Czech food and the tremendous Svijany range of beer, try http://www.baracnickarychta.cz/, which is pretty much underneath the Castle.

The Prague Beer Garden site ought to be a constant travel companion for anyone visiting the city.

Edited by vikingTON

Christmas edition honey porter (19 degrees ie 7.5 per centish) from Zlatý Bažant. The normal kind is a fine but not spectaular lager, this variety is excellent. €1.15 for a 300 ml glass.

Ahhhh! I went to Prague years and years ago and I never knew what the degree thing was. Figured it might have been something to do with gravity. Not sure what I was drinking then. Should have stayed off the Bekerovka though.

Degrees IIRC relates to the sugar content at the start of the process. More sugar at that stage leads to more alcohol after brewing, and darker beers usually come from higher degrees - roasting the hops beforehand for example adds sugars. Normal Kozel is mediocre but their dark beer is good and very cheap.

Red wine in the region is quite sweet, which I like, the whites are dry or Rieslings. I can take or leave them but the dirt cheap bottles of wine in the supermarket do lead to crushing hangovers.

Edited by vikingTON

Degrees IIRC relates to the sugar content at the start of the process. More sugar at that stage leads to more alcohol after brewing, and darker beers usually come from higher degrees - roasting the hops beforehand for example adds sugars. Normal Kozel is mediocre but their dark beer is good and very cheap.

Red wine in the region is quite sweet, which I like, the whites are dry or Rieslings. I can take or leave them but the dirt cheap bottles of wine in the supermarket do lead to crushing hangovers.

Cheers. We stayed in a hostel above a shop in the old town and the shop had 7 or 8 different varieties of Budvar and Staropramen. This was 199....7 I think? And at the time was about 20 koruna - or about 40p for a big glass bottle that you got about 5 koruna back on if you took the bottle back. Thus began the major annoyance of seeing Czech beer in Scotland and wanting to buy it because it's good, but being pissed off about paying Scottish prices for it.

The lagers also don't tend to travel well. Bottled Pilsner Urquell in the UK is an actually not very nice to drink, shadow of the real thing. Dark beers like dark Budvar are fine even from a supermarket shelf. Since Pivo Pivo finished, taking their pricey tap of Pilsner Urquell with it, it's a struggle to find anything decent on tap in Glasgow . Tap Krušovice from, of all places, The Counting House wasn't bad the last time I visited.

The lagers also don't tend to travel well. Bottled Pilsner Urquell in the UK is an actually not very nice to drink, shadow of the real thing. Dark beers like dark Budvar are fine even from a supermarket shelf. Since Pivo Pivo finished, taking their pricey tap of Pilsner Urquell with it, it's a struggle to find anything decent on tap in Glasgow . Tap Krušovice from, of all places, The Counting House wasn't bad the last time I visited.

There's very little Czech beer here in Florida. Urquell and Staropramen are easy enough to get due to them being owned by the big lads; the only other one I've seen was a double bock called Primator (I think...) and it was 10 odd percent so I passed on it. Edited by carpetmonster