Edinburgh somemodeofpublictransportcrawl.

philpy

Wrong and wrong. Unlucky.

Ok, you aren't in Aberdeen but still don't see an Aberdeen night out thread .

Strange that you took an interest in kara as I noticed a few old faces returning or to be more exact posting again.

If this is you doing some weird school boy 'look at me, pigtail pulling' to get her attention?

You are coming across as a tad creepy and I have seen in other threads that you are an angry person, you may want to give yourself a wee shake.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit dramatic, no? I've replied to three of her posts in several years. Maybe you need to calm your wee imagination down and administer the aforementioned shake on yourself.

Pretty funny though, you trying be some sort of white knight :lol:

White knight :lol:

Going by her replies alone she's got your number .

I'm just curious to why you come across all creepy and are quite the rager

The I hope you do make it out, her putting you down in person could be amusing

She/he has certainly got you excited anyway. Quite apt that you use the word "rager", actually.

It was an observation of my own, your only contribution to this thread was to antagonise someone for not posting in a while.

Given the others who have restarted posting why pick on this one?

You seem to be easily angered, if you do make it, then the pubcrawl should be interesting

StanfdFree03 is a good WUM. If he participates in this event, I'll buy him a drink of his choice.

I second that!

She/he has certainly got you excited anyway. Quite apt that you use the word "rager", actually.

Do you accept drinks off he/shes pal? :rolleyes:

I hope you are as entertaining in real life. This will be fun!

I think the success of the various 'crawls sums up Scotland quite nicely. Glasgow - drinking in a circle is second nature. Everyone's done it, it takes 10 minutes to set up, and a good time is had by all. Dundee, where the nights are long and danger lurks in every Hilltown close, requires a great deal more planning, but the pay-off is all the sweeter. Edinburgh's so riven with squabbling, politics, and a failed transport system that the whole thing never gets off the ground, and people sip their single malts alone, their faces dramatically lit on one side by the fireplace, onto which is angrily tossed a printout of all philpy's posts on this thread.

I think the success of the various 'crawls sums up Scotland quite nicely. Glasgow - drinking in a circle is second nature. Everyone's done it, it takes 10 minutes to set up, and a good time is had by all. Dundee, where the nights are long and danger lurks in every Hilltown close, requires a great deal more planning, but the pay-off is all the sweeter. Edinburgh's so riven with squabbling, politics, and a failed transport system that the whole thing never gets off the ground, and people sip their single malts alone, their faces dramatically lit on one side by the fireplace, onto which is angrily tossed a printout of all philpy's posts on this thread.

:lol: genious and so true!

Pre-christmas would be better. If we could all agree on a date in december (saturday would be better, obviously). if anyone can help come up with a decent route as well, that would be good. i've thought up about 3 routes, but still undecided. One was the nicolson street area, from the bridges upwards, the other two were the leith walk one, and the third rose street. The grassmarket would be a non-starter, thats for sure, its hard enough for even 3 folk to get in some of the pubs down there during the festive season.

Are we looking to do this before or after Xmas?

The issue is match free dates (or local match free dates)

And of course where we are actually going.

Closer to Christmas means we may end up looking like an office night out, which could favour us getting into bars in numbers. As the fundonians have booked the 8th we can either look a weekend either side or go in tandem and break gordie80's heart.

Need the op to edit opening post with confirmed drinkers an maybe unavailable dates in brackets.

Lets get a piss up sorted.

The Edinburgh youllhavehadyertea tour needs to start

I quite like the idea of the 1st of December, as I'm off for a fortnight after that weekend. Well, that and I probably won't be utterly rooked by that point. Also, if it's on or near Leith Walk, I'd be within walking distance of the starting point.

If we're talking after Christmas, then probably any weekend would do.

Edit: Philpy, my flatmates tried to do the full Leith Walk pub crawl a few months back, starting at the Brass Monkey and working their way down one side of the road, with the intention (I think) of finishing at Joseph Pearce. I appreciate that would probably take too long, so a slightly shortened version of that might work?

shorter version sounds good. I'l admit, i've ever only been in one pub on leith walk - the elm bar. They did a cracking haggis pakora the last time i was in. However, eating's cheating. Apart from a few bags of crisps or nuts on the table in the pub, thats fine. Scampi fries are top notch.

shorter version sounds good. I'l admit, i've ever only been in one pub on leith walk - the elm bar. They did a cracking haggis pakora the last time i was in. However, eating's cheating. Apart from a few bags of crisps or nuts on the table in the pub, thats fine. Scampi Bacon fries are top notch.

Fixed. Out of the pubs on Leith Walk, I've been to the Brass Monkey (has one or two beers and ciders that are rocket fuel and are reasonably priced), Robbie's (only in once, not too bad), City Limits is OK, Bojangles ain't too bad either, and I think the Brunswick is the obligatory spit and sawdust pub for this kind of crawl. Joseph Pearce is a bit too pricey for my cheapskate liking, but is quite a nice pub.

You lot should outsource this seemingly difficult organisational task to Dundee. You won't have a Scooby what we're saying when you phone seeking advice or have a query ("Ken aye! K-E-N, A-Y-E."), but the job will get done in a relatively prompt and efficient manner.

I know Leith Walk very well. I'm not sure I'll make it to this but I can offer the following advice.

If I were you I'd stick to one side of the Walk - the right hand side as you look down. Doing both sides is probably a bridge too far and there are more bars on that side. In terms of picking a place to start Joseph Pearces is probably a good point, it's easy to find, well known and is decent, if pricey. I'd aim to make it to the Foot of the Walk, a Wetherspoons at, er, the foot of Leith Walk. That would give the following pubs, which I will try to summarise from my personal experience

Joseph Pearces - Swedish themed bar, a bit yuppyish but a good selection of beers and fruit ciders. They have tables outside that could be taken over by the P&B Edinburgh Ken Eh Ye'll Have Had Yer Tea Brown Sauce Eh Massive.

Brunswick Arms - I've never been in here but it's a bit of a spit and sawdust looking place. One for experience.

Windsor Buffet - I've only been in here once but it seemed a nice wee bar, old fashioned but in a good way.

Priscillas / Bojangles - Leith Walks only gay bar. I'm not sure if it's still open but I have heard it said that it's clientele are 'gay neds'. If anyone fancies fully embracing a lifestyle change there is a gay sauna next door.

City Limits - This bar sits on what used to be the dividing line between Edinburgh and Leith. According to legend the line between Edinburgh and Leith went right through the bar and thanks to different licensing laws the Leith bar could remain open longer, so at 11:45 everyone on the Edinburgh side of the line piled over the Leith. It's a bit of a dive now, I once saw a guy sitting outside in a Celtic top and his underpant on a hot day.

Robbies Bar - Probably my favourite bar on Leith Walk and the one I go to on a regular basis for a few pints or watching football. An old fashioned wooden bar with decent staff and a local, traditional crowd, Robbies has a good selection of malts (so I'm told by people who know about these things) and good beers on tap.

Dalmeny - The last time I was in here a man in his 40s wearing a tracksuit started wrestling a pitbull terrier on the floor next to the dartboard. The seats were all slashed and someone had put some happy hardcore on the jukebox.

Victorias - Sister bar of Joseph Pearces and Boda, this is another Swedish theme bar. It's a nice bar and has some interesting imported lagers, I always go for the Asahi when I'm in. Very much the bar of choice for the nouveax Leith, financial services/creative industries types.

Alhambra - I've never been in here, it looks like a decent wee bar. Irvine Welsh drinks in here sometimes, so I understand.

Boda - Third Swedish bar on this list, it's a bit smaller than Victorias but still decent. It's usually quieter and, if I recall correctly, it's got a model of a shark hanging from the roof.

Spey Lounge - I think I have been in here once, absolutely wasted. No information can be recalled, apologies.

Central Bar - A beautiful bar, high corniced ceilings with classic fittings. Strangely most of the customers look like walnuts soaked in vinegar on a five day bender. It's been friendly enough when I have been in.

Foot of the Walk - I've never been in here (not a Wetherspoons fan) but from the looks of the people standing outside smoking it's ripe for a hilarious joke about the bar in Star Wars.

If anyone fancies a real night out, why not continue to the Port o' Leith, a real character filled bar. I went in once and found several girls dressed in rubber nurses uniforms dancing on the bar, apparently this is normal part of the night. Customers include students, old school Leith people, transvestites, sailors and all that go with that.

If anyone fancies a real night out, why not continue to the Port o' Leith, a real character filled bar. I went in once and found several girls dressed in rubber nurses uniforms dancing on the bar, apparently this is normal part of the night. Customers include students, old school Leith people, transvestites, sailors and all that go with that.

I'm in.

I know Leith Walk very well. I'm not sure I'll make it to this but I can offer the following advice.

If I were you I'd stick to one side of the Walk - the right hand side as you look down. Doing both sides is probably a bridge too far and there are more bars on that side. In terms of picking a place to start Joseph Pearces is probably a good point, it's easy to find, well known and is decent, if pricey. I'd aim to make it to the Foot of the Walk, a Wetherspoons at, er, the foot of Leith Walk. That would give the following pubs, which I will try to summarise from my personal experience

Joseph Pearces - Swedish themed bar, a bit yuppyish but a good selection of beers and fruit ciders. They have tables outside that could be taken over by the P&B Edinburgh Ken Eh Ye'll Have Had Yer Tea Brown Sauce Eh Massive.

Brunswick Arms - I've never been in here but it's a bit of a spit and sawdust looking place. One for experience.

Windsor Buffet - I've only been in here once but it seemed a nice wee bar, old fashioned but in a good way.

Priscillas / Bojangles - Leith Walks only gay bar. I'm not sure if it's still open but I have heard it said that it's clientele are 'gay neds'. If anyone fancies fully embracing a lifestyle change there is a gay sauna next door.

City Limits - This bar sits on what used to be the dividing line between Edinburgh and Leith. According to legend the line between Edinburgh and Leith went right through the bar and thanks to different licensing laws the Leith bar could remain open longer, so at 11:45 everyone on the Edinburgh side of the line piled over the Leith. It's a bit of a dive now, I once saw a guy sitting outside in a Celtic top and his underpant on a hot day.

Robbies Bar - Probably my favourite bar on Leith Walk and the one I go to on a regular basis for a few pints or watching football. An old fashioned wooden bar with decent staff and a local, traditional crowd, Robbies has a good selection of malts (so I'm told by people who know about these things) and good beers on tap.

Dalmeny - The last time I was in here a man in his 40s wearing a tracksuit started wrestling a pitbull terrier on the floor next to the dartboard. The seats were all slashed and someone had put some happy hardcore on the jukebox.

Victorias - Sister bar of Joseph Pearces and Boda, this is another Swedish theme bar. It's a nice bar and has some interesting imported lagers, I always go for the Asahi when I'm in. Very much the bar of choice for the nouveax Leith, financial services/creative industries types.

Alhambra - I've never been in here, it looks like a decent wee bar. Irvine Welsh drinks in here sometimes, so I understand.

Boda - Third Swedish bar on this list, it's a bit smaller than Victorias but still decent. It's usually quieter and, if I recall correctly, it's got a model of a shark hanging from the roof.

Spey Lounge - I think I have been in here once, absolutely wasted. No information can be recalled, apologies.

Central Bar - A beautiful bar, high corniced ceilings with classic fittings. Strangely most of the customers look like walnuts soaked in vinegar on a five day bender. It's been friendly enough when I have been in.

Foot of the Walk - I've never been in here (not a Wetherspoons fan) but from the looks of the people standing outside smoking it's ripe for a hilarious joke about the bar in Star Wars.

You could finish up in the Marksman on Duke St if it's still open, I was never brave enough to venture in. Port O Leith is a bit "out there" indeed, I'm sure a few pished up P&Bers would only add to the melting pot.

Archived