Simple Question: Do you think the payments were loans or wages?

Wages or Loans?  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Kincardine

We're not being asked to examine the evidence and conclude whether the decision was correct or not. That's for the appeal.

What do you think EBTs are for?

Well we are. The crux of the decision was over the issue of loans vs wages.

Trying to have a P&B poll about it is just silly. Asking the point of EBTs is even sillier.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did old Rangers pay out nearly £50million to employees through EBTs?

That's an easy one - they were financial inducements to persuade players to sign - tax free, mind - the reason they were tax free payments is that they were 'loans' - the thing about these 'loans', though, is that they're not going to be paid back - that's the bit I'm struggling with, if I'm honest.

So, that explains the payments to they players - they were tax-free financial inducements to persuade players to come and play in a footballing backwater.

The multi-million pound tax/interest-free 'loan' to Sir David Murray, though? Cannae quite get my head round that!

Rangers fans. Whit a shower :rolleyes:

They get liquidated but pretend to themselves and everyone else that they haven't been liquidated. Not really. The consequences of the admin/liquidation are viewed by them as punishments when eveyone else knows they were in fact consequences. Rules that their own club voted for are punishments all of a sudden. Now they hide behind this latest "loan" fiasco as if it's perfectly normal business practice.

All of the above without even batting an eyelid at how fundementally stupid it all looks to anyone other than Rangers fans.

Am I the only wan that's sick of reading and hearing aboot this shite?

The moral indignation.

The discussion of complex tax law by people who know f**k all about it(including myself)

Old Rangers are vindicated.

Yay.(Rangers fans)

Old Rangers needlessly went out of business because of it.

Yay(Celtic and others)

Everybodys got a positive out of it.

Can we not just move on.

There was one Celtic inclined chappy on the Clyde phone in last night nearly greetin about how British troops had to go without equipment due to Rangers not paying tax.

Ah didny know it worked that way.

"Eh sorry lads nae bullets this month.That fuckin Rangers mob huvnae payed their whack.If Starbucks don't come up wi the cash next month the gemmes a bogey"

Yev goat tae laugh.

Rangers fans. Whit a shower :rolleyes:

They get liquidated but pretend to themselves and everyone else that they haven't been liquidated. Not really. The consequences of the admin/liquidation are viewed by them as punishments when eveyone else knows they were in fact consequences. Rules that their own club voted for are punishments all of a sudden. Now they hide behind this latest "loan" fiasco as if it's perfectly normal business practice.

All of the above without even batting an eyelid at how fundementally stupid it all looks to anyone other than Rangers fans.

EBTs were pretty common business practice as it happens - and I believe they are still going. Various similar schemes are also common business practice. 8)

For f**k sake - how many times? As far as they are concerned they got it right, as dead Rangers obviously produced the right paperwork to demonstrate the payments were loans. Nobody is disputing that, and that's been my point all along.

What everyone knows, however, is these EBT payments were agreed on the side as a way to pay players and avoid tax. Nobody, not even Rangers fans, seriously believe the club just loaned out £50million without reason.

This was why I started this poll in the first place - but I am genuinely surprised that Rangers fans still are unwilling to admit that these were wages paid via an EBT.

As I said before, if they were in financial difficulties why would they be so generously contributing money to a trust fund which they know they would never get back - philanthropy… I don't think so.

EBTs were pretty common business practice as it happens - and I believe they are still going. Various similar schemes are also common business practice. 8)

Why the smiley?

Are you actually happy that Rangers use of EBTs went a long way towards your club being liquidated and a new club starting out in the 3rd Division?

Why the smiley?

Are you actually happy that Rangers use of EBTs went a long way towards your club being liquidated and a new club starting out in the 3rd Division?

You got anything else other than the "You're deid" routine? :D

(Sorry if the smiley upsets you.)

Give it a rest. The FTT came to a conclusion after a lot of consideration. Why can't you just drop it?

The thread title would have had to have been 'Did the tribunal find in Rangers' favour?' in order for your posts on this thread to be relevant.

It isn't. It instead asks whether posters believe the payments were really intended and received as loans, or as wages.

Saying what the tribunal judged to be the legal reality is utterly redundant. We all know the outcome of that.

Just answer the actual question posed here - which you understand perfectly well - honestly.

The thread title would have had to have been 'Did the tribunal find in Rangers' favour?' in order for your posts on this thread to be relevant.

It isn't. It instead asks whether posters believe the payments were really intended and received as loans, or as wages.

Saying what the tribunal judged to be the legal reality is utterly redundant. We all know the outcome of that.

Just answer the actual question posed here - which you understand perfectly well - honestly.

Spot on.

I refuse to believe that none of the Rangers fans actually understand the difference - hoping to avoid further discussion on the rights/wrongs of the tribunal verdict is actually why I made a separate thread for it in the first place :rolleyes: .

I refuse to believe that none of the Rangers fans actually understand the difference - hoping to avoid further discussion on the rights/wrongs of the tribunal verdict is actually why I made a separate thread for it in the first place :rolleyes: .

They're evading the question (as if it was tax) - because they ken the answer.

Archived