MMA Thread

Shuggie_Murray7

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Khabib. 

You think hed handle the size? Certainly as interesting a fight as I can think of between either of the two weights. Khabib isnt coming back for a rematch against any of the lightweight agaisnt whom he hasnt struggled, which leaves Chandler for intrigue, Ferguson although I suspect he missed his chance and is probably done or a move to WW with Usman the obvious choice. I watch it for sure. 

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You think hed handle the size? Certainly as interesting a fight as I can think of between either of the two weights. Khabib isnt coming back for a rematch against any of the lightweight agaisnt whom he hasnt struggled, which leaves Chandler for intrigue, Ferguson although I suspect he missed his chance and is probably done or a move to WW with Usman the obvious choice. I watch it for sure. 

Khabib struggled with more than a few weight cuts, I always felt he was pushing himself to cut and should probably have been fighting the next class up anyway. Usman is only 5cm taller than Khabib too, it's certainly not a mismatch and to me is the only fight worth making for either of them at the moment. All I can see for Usman is moving up a weight if Khabib isn't an option - the likes of Diaz or Masvidal just won't cut it and he's destroyed everyone else. Perhaps a rematch with Colby is the only one that holds any draw.

• 3 weeks later...

Few more cuts announced by the UFC. Notably, Alistair Overeem and Junior Dos Santos. Both understandable though. I've never really liked Overeem but JDS is a good character, both are well past their best though, I do wonder if JDS especially will call it a day after 4 KO loses in a row. 

I also noticed Dan Hardy wants to fight Nick Diaz. I don't know what to make of that. 

Edited by The Moonster

Watched most of the card this morning, thought Dom Cruz looked really good considering his age and the lay off he’s had. Was very fluid, looked fast and his striking was pretty crisp. Was a good fight. Funny seeing Joe have to cut him off when he was going after the Monster guy.

Islam Makhachev is khabib’s heir apparent. He absolutely dominated Dober, like he was fighting a child. Scary, scary guy.

Petr Yan is an idiot. Regardless of instruction from the corner (if that is what happened) he’s an experienced fighter that knows fine well you can’t knee a downed opponent. Utter stupidity and deserved to lose the belt. Extra shame cause it was a really enjoyable fight to that point.

The discourse needs to change with Amanda Nunes. The “greatest female fight of all time” needs to start just being one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, gender regardless. She is so, so, so good. Light years ahead of any challenger. She’ll have both belts as long as she wants.

Main event was decent. Adesanya’s stand up is very, very good. Uses his length well and his feinting and defence are excellent, but there were a couple of occasions where I thought he had Blachowicz in a semi-prone position and he just didn’t press the advantage. Jan was lived (if not a bit behind IMO) the whole way through the fight and the takedowns and use of his size advantage were excellent in the championship rounds. Thought the scores should have been a lot closer than the judges had them, but probably the right decision.

Good card, enjoyed it.

On 07/03/2021 at 09:40, J_Stewart said:

Watched most of the card this morning, thought Dom Cruz looked really good considering his age and the lay off he’s had. Was very fluid, looked fast and his striking was pretty crisp. Was a good fight. Funny seeing Joe have to cut him off when he was going after the Monster guy.

Islam Makhachev is khabib’s heir apparent. He absolutely dominated Dober, like he was fighting a child. Scary, scary guy.

Petr Yan is an idiot. Regardless of instruction from the corner (if that is what happened) he’s an experienced fighter that knows fine well you can’t knee a downed opponent. Utter stupidity and deserved to lose the belt. Extra shame cause it was a really enjoyable fight to that point.

The discourse needs to change with Amanda Nunes. The “greatest female fight of all time” needs to start just being one of the greatest mixed martial artists of all time, gender regardless. She is so, so, so good. Light years ahead of any challenger. She’ll have both belts as long as she wants.

Main event was decent. Adesanya’s stand up is very, very good. Uses his length well and his feinting and defence are excellent, but there were a couple of occasions where I thought he had Blachowicz in a semi-prone position and he just didn’t press the advantage. Jan was lived (if not a bit behind IMO) the whole way through the fight and the takedowns and use of his size advantage were excellent in the championship rounds. Thought the scores should have been a lot closer than the judges had them, but probably the right decision.

Good card, enjoyed it.

Good summary. You can see Cruz has lost a bit of speed but his movement is still ridiculous. Glad to have him looking fit in there agin though, always fun to watch. 

I do wonder if Makhachev is a factor in Khabib staying retired. They would never fight each other, so is Khabib moving out the way to give Makhachev a clean run at the title? He's calling out Tony Ferguson now, if he smashes him he'll be in for a title shot in no time. 

Lost a lot of respect for Yan. As far as I've seen he hasn't apologised for that ridiculous knee and if anything is doubling down suggesting that Sterling was acting he was hurt to claim the victory. Sorry but if you smash me with a standing knee whilst I'm grounded I'm taking the W from you as well, especially if I've worked my entire career for that moment. They'll have a rematch and I expect Yan to win though (as he would've on Saturday if he wasn't a fud).

Nunes might actually need to start fighting the guys now. She's wiped out everyone and Shevchenko is probably the only fight left for her in the UFC. 

Feel the same as you on Adesanya, never really pressed home his advantages when he got them and Jan did. I love Jan, a big friendly giant that could knock your head clean off if he fancied it. Decent first fight for Israel at that weight though, I was surprised to hear Jan say he hit harder than he thought he would, but I still feel he needs to bulk up a bit in order to have the power to finish guys at that level. He was never going to finish Jan in the shape he was in IMO and winning on points was his way to victory. He was doing reasonably well with that until the championship rounds. His size again prevented him from getting out from under Jan in those two rounds. 

Does look like it puts the Jon Jones superfight on ice for now but I still think it will happen at some point. 

Good summary. You can see Cruz has lost a bit of speed but his movement is still ridiculous. Glad to have him looking fit in there agin though, always fun to watch. 
I do wonder if Makhachev is a factor in Khabib staying retired. They would never fight each other, so is Khabib moving out the way to give Makhachev a clean run at the title? He's calling out Tony Ferguson now, if he smashes him he'll be in for a title shot in no time. 
Lost a lot of respect for Yan. As far as I've seen he hasn't apologised for that ridiculous knee and if anything is doubling down suggesting that Sterling was acting he was hurt to claim the victory. Sorry but if you smash me with a standing knee whilst I'm grounded I'm taking the W from you as well, especially if I've worked my entire career for that moment. They'll have a rematch and I expect Yan to win though (as he would've on Saturday if he wasn't a fud).
Nunes might actually need to start fighting the guys now. She's wiped out everyone and Shevchenko is probably the only fight left for her in the UFC. 
Feel the same as you on Adesanya, never really pressed home his advantages when he got them and Jan did. I love Jan, a big friendly giant that could knock your head clean off if he fancied it. Decent first fight for Israel at that weight though, I was surprised to hear Jan say he hit harder than he thought he would, but I still feel he needs to bulk up a bit in order to have the power to finish guys at that level. He was never going to finish Jan in the shape he was in IMO and winning on points was his way to victory. He was doing reasonably well with that until the championship rounds. His size again prevented him from getting out from under Jan in those two rounds. 
Does look like it puts the Jon Jones superfight on ice for now but I still think it will happen at some point. 

Tony Ferguson is a good/clever call out just now. Hes done. Still be a semi tough fight for Makachev, but a well timed on in terms of taking names.

A Canelo v Kovalev type shout. Clever matchmaking for the very obvious winner

• 2 weeks later...
Ngannou is the scariest man in the world. 
I think DC said it on commentary, but "Calm Francis" is an even scarier prospect than windmilling wild man Francis. A genuinely terrifying physical specimen. Going by his footwork and his ability to stuff Stipe's takedown in the first round, he's improving exponentially as well. 

If he decides to step up and fight him, Jon Jones will be obliterated, and I am absolutely in for that.

Would love to see big Francis decapitate Jones but it would be tough to call. Jones's freakish length could help him keep out of range and win the fight from the outside.

Some interesting fights to make at heavyweight with Gane and Aspinall seemingly on the rise. I could Stipe calling it a day now.

22 hours ago, Luxinferior said:

Can't see Stipe continuing after last night, he may have been big enough and mobile enough to give Jones a decent scrap but big Franny beats him ten times out of ten.

Gane may be smart enough to avoid Franny's power and tire him in the later rounds but needs more experience.

I'd put Derek Lewis in against him next for the entertainment value if nothing else. 😃

Considering Stipe has already beaten Ngannou I'm not sure your "10 out of 10" comment is valid. Ngannou was scary good at the weekend but Stipe let him dictate the pace. If Stipe wants a trilogy fight he really should get it, he's been an amazing champion and it's 1-1 between the fighters. Derek Lewis deserves the shot before Jones too, as you say. For me, Jones should earn it, I don't like champions that just walk into title fights in other divisions. I think Adesanya would've benefited from fighting a contender or two at light-heavyweight before going for Jan. 

Refs really need to stop fights before Francis unleashes his hammer fists. He's gonna kill someone doing that when they're already KO'd. 

I thought O'Malley was tremendous at the weekend as well, he's so dynamic. Bit of a helmet but I can forgive him that for the good fights he puts on. 

• 4 weeks later...