Depression

Feeling really down today.

Been at least 48 hours since I had any human contact of any sort and I'm feeling very lonely

Brain Stimulation May Treat Severe Depression Better Than Meds

May 7, 2014 | by Lisa Winter

TMS%20scan.jpg?itok=XQShao02photo credit: Helen Mayberg/Emory University/NIH

About 1 in 10 American adults experience depression. Anti-depressant medication is often the first course of action, but about 40% of those with depression are not helped by that approach. A new study from Neuronetics has revealed that Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) could be a beneficial option for some who have not been helped by medications. The study results were announced this week at the Annual Meeting of of the American Psychiatric Association by Mark Demitrack, Vice President and Chief Medical Officer of Neuronetics.

TMS works by using targeted magnetic pulses similar to that used in an MRI to stimulate the brain. This stimulation encourages blood flow and activity in the area of the prefrontal cortex responsible for regulating mood. Initial treatments requires five 37-minute-long sessions each week for about 4-6 weeks, with some using monthly maintenance sessions. The cost of the treatment averages out to about $1000 per month, though some insurances may cover a portion of it.

The study compared the TMS Outcome Study and the landmark Sequenced Treatment Alternatives to Relieve Depression (STAR*D) study. After the initial phase of treatment, 53 percent of patients experienced a reduction or remission of their depression symptoms, compared to 38 percent from the STAR*D study.

Following the first six weeks, the TMS group was randomized into two: one group receiving monthly maintenance treatments, and one undergoing monthly observations while getting put on a different medication. In the group that received additional treatment, 62.5% continued to see a reduction or elimination in symptoms three months later, compared to the 43.8% in the group that was just observed monthly.

The most common side effect from TCM is mild pain at the treatment site, though most patients only experience those headaches during the first week. Because the treatment is localized instead of systemic (like oral medications), patients are spared from many side effects such as nausea, fatigue, and changes in appetite.

Over the last 15 years, about half of the patients who have been treated with TMS have seen a meaningful reduction in their symptoms, while about 35% have gone into remission, Popular Science reports.

As with most studies, there are some points that have invited in criticism. Roughly 90% of all TMS patients continued to take anti-depressant medication during the study. The study was not blind as doctors and participants knew which treatment each patient was receiving. Additionally, the TMS group that received monthly follow-up treatments was not put up against a placebo group, as the other group was receiving an alternative treatment.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/brain/brain-stimulation-may-treat-severe-depression-better-meds#lQO0Fe75El6z7hy8.99

Can understand this.......I've had a really tough time over the last 6 months with anxiety and depression but after busying myself with innovating my boat redesign and a change of job I finally feel the fog lifting :)

Be curious to see if something like that would be covered under BUPA if it comes to the uk..

Regarding the job thing id fight it. They probably think by giving the you option to leave and say no more about it you will just accept but it will drive you nuts if you do. Speak to someone before you agree to anything and as was mentioned get full documented evidence of what you are being accussed of and tell they you are discussing with your council before you do anything. If nothing else it will put the shitters up them

Just found out i got a new job, I was literally bouncing off the walls when i found out so should keep me in a happy place for a while. Trying to stop drinking as much when im by myself. Too many times im at home feeling sorry for myself getting drunk but it isn't half as regular as it used to be. Recently found out someone i know has terminal cancer, tho i don't speak to him as much as I used to ive known him alot of years and found myself messaging him in a pub while out a few weeks ago literally on the verge of breaking down. I think it just hit harder with losing so many of my family to cancer and its the first time ive had a friend in teh same situation. I feel bad as im avoiding talking to him if i can at the moment but the support he is receiving from all avenues is fantastic.

Little update.. Phoned ACAS and explained my situation and because I've only been there 6 months my only real option is to resign if I don't want to potentially harm future career prospects which is a complete gutter.

Managed to get myself an interview on Monday with the company I previously worked for before this one, so hopefully won't be out of a job for too long.

Little update.. Phoned ACAS and explained my situation and because I've only been there 6 months my only real option is to resign if I don't want to potentially harm future career prospects which is a complete gutter.

Managed to get myself an interview on Monday with the company I previously worked for before this one, so hopefully won't be out of a job for too long.

Best of luck mate.

Good luck mate

Been reading this thread for a while now as I've been going through some shit recently and for a couple of months I've suspected something was up. Went to the doctor who sent me to some counselling but today he's started me on Citalopram so I guess I'll see how it goes. Counselling worked for maybe the couple of hours after I came out, felt better about myself and a bit more positive but by the next morning it was back to unexplainable worry, anxiety

This will sound ridiculous but I've not even told my parents about this yet, I just can't seem to do it. My mum, like all mums, worries about me and does stuff for me even when I tell her not to and I guess I don't want her hovering around me thinking that she needs to do everything so that I feel better. I do feel a bit guilty, I think they deserves to know and I think I'll tell them now I've been started on medication but I just don't know how to tell them, they've been in New Zealand for the last few months and haven't seen much of me so I doubt they even suspect anything is wrong, guess I don't want to drop something like that on them.

Anyway, I take it some if not all of you have been Citalopram, how was it?

My family still dont know that i had to go to counciling partly because i don't want them to know about the catalyst for me needed to go there. That said however keeping things to yourself never helps, its always difficult to open up especially if your a guy to your mates but you would be suprised how many of your mates aren't quite as happy or confident as they project

I dont know much about the meds but sure there are a few guys here who will. all teh best mate

My family still dont know that i had to go to counciling partly because i don't want them to know about the catalyst for me needed to go there. That said however keeping things to yourself never helps, its always difficult to open up especially if your a guy to your mates but you would be suprised how many of your mates aren't quite as happy or confident as they project

I dont know much about the meds but sure there are a few guys here who will. all teh best mate

Yeah, I find it weird because I know my parents will understand and be supportive but there's something that is making me not want to tell them. Told my mates no problem and they've all said they're there if I need them which is great.

Thanks.

Yeah, I find it weird because I know my parents will understand and be supportive but there's something that is making me not want to tell them. Told my mates no problem and they've all said they're there if I need them which is great.

Thanks.

In my own experience, telling my Mum was the worst thing I done. Her words were basically 'snap out of it, grow up' etc. She thought I was seeking attention and whilst I was, it was a cry for help. We fell out over it big time despite being incredibly close and she didn't see me or her Grandson for over a year before she apologised.

All the best though mate, PM's are always open for a chat.