Depression

cheers mate, its a sin. So unexpected. Ive known him nearly all my life as he was at school with my sister then as we were teenagers we became good friends, we shared a house together before he met his wife. We always kept in touch even when i moved away for a while and he was basically a brother to me. Just need to let it out i suppose i just cant go back to where i was

Devastating thing to have to go through I imagine (never have personally).

мы с тобой (we are with you).

I heard something along the lines of getting a small percentage if the house is sold

Sad story, but think about a wee punt with the cash on Clachnacuddin away at Wick. 2-1. Quite generous odds considering Clach have won 6 in a row, and Wick are distinctly mediocre this season. Hope you and your folks keep it friendly. Probably time for you to move out pronto though, and leave them to it. Very difficult though, I know.

Sad story, but think about a wee punt with the cash on Clachnacuddin away at Wick. 2-1. Quite generous odds considering Clach have won 6 in a row, and Wick are distinctly mediocre this season. Hope you and your folks keep it friendly. Probably time for you to move out pronto though, and leave them to it. Very difficult though, I know.

With my betting record? :lol:

Aye the old depression eh.

I was sent home from work on Tuesday due to being in 'no condition to perform' due to a mixture of heavy drinking the previous night and taking high doses of fluoxetine on the Tuesday morning. The job broke me but I know I've got a lot of my own personal issues as well.

I went to seek medical advice on Wednesday morning and have been signed off work for 4 weeks due to anexiety and depression (my GP kindly kept quiet my alcohol issues when signing the form although my employer is aware of them).

I was then sacked this morning by letter for my non appearence at work on Wednesday despite me having followed the absence procedure and sending in the sick note by registered post (these letters likely crossed over).

I wonder if I have got a leg to stand on legally here? Probably not as I was currently on an extended probationary period in this job. I am hoping I can at least negotiate the 4 weeks statuory sick pay with HR before getting my jotters.

Sad realisation now that at 23 will have to start again at life. Ah well bring it on.

I suppose it depends on the reasons for your probotion extention, if it was due to absence then im guessing not

Maybe check with citizens advise on that

I was sent home from work on Tuesday due to being in 'no condition to perform' due to a mixture of heavy drinking the previous night and taking high doses of fluoxetine on the Tuesday morning. The job broke me but I know I've got a lot of my own personal issues as well.

I went to seek medical advice on Wednesday morning and have been signed off work for 4 weeks due to anexiety and depression (my GP kindly kept quiet my alcohol issues when signing the form although my employer is aware of them).

I was then sacked this morning by letter for my non appearence at work on Wednesday despite me having followed the absence procedure and sending in the sick note by registered post (these letters likely crossed over).

I wonder if I have got a leg to stand on legally here? Probably not as I was currently on an extended probationary period in this job. I am hoping I can at least negotiate the 4 weeks statuory sick pay with HR before getting my jotters.

Sad realisation now that at 23 will have to start again at life. Ah well bring it on.

Wouldn't worry about it. You've loads of time. I'll be doing the same, at 29, in a couple of months.

I have been getting this ridiculous feeling of late - i usually need to get up for a pee in the middle of the night as most people do but recently when I've been waking up i have either felt this overwhelming feeling of depression - as if my entire life has been a f**k up and wtf am i doing with myself or with this unbelievable euphoria of everything being absolutely unbelievable. i never get these feelings during my normal life unless I'm coming up or coming down on drugs. Its a truly bizarre feeling and its happened 4 or 5 times recently

I'm 23 as well, and this shit scares me. I'm absolutely terrified that employers would overlook me if I'm asked to disclose my mental health issues.

I'm sorry I don't have anything really helpful to say (CAB may be best place to go), but I wish you all the best with the job hunt. What job were you in beforehand?

Edited by JogaBonito

I'm 23 as well, and this shit scares me. I'm absolutely terrified that employers would overlook me if I'm asked to disclose my mental health issues.

I'm sorry I don't have anything really helpful to say (CAB may be best place to go), but I wish you all the best with the job hunt. What job were you in beforehand?

Where you asked to disclose any health issues when you applied or did you undergo a medical?

Graduate Trainee Manager in a factory. Was a good opportunity that I've blown, I realise that. But at the same time, the job and some of the people in it played a fair part in turning me into what I've become.

Aye, I'm going to CAB on Monday. I phoned HR and they are now saying that I am not entitled to statuory sick pay because my sick line only started on Wednesday and they don't pay for the first 3 days of sick pay (my sacking letter was posted yesterday). Not sure what benefits I am entitled to in the meantime and wheither or not I will be OK for JSA after this 4 week line expires.

Graduate Trainee Manager in a factory. Was a good opportunity that I've blown, I realise that. But at the same time, the job and some of the people in it played a fair part in turning me into what I've become.

Aye, I'm going to CAB on Monday. I phoned HR and they are now saying that I am not entitled to statuory sick pay because my sick line only started on Wednesday and they don't pay for the first 3 days of sick pay (my sacking letter was posted yesterday). Not sure what benefits I am entitled to in the meantime and wheither or not I will be OK for JSA after this 4 week line expires.

You don't need a medical certificate for the first seven days. You're supposed to complete a self certificate, which they should give you.Refer them to their SSP guide. With regard to your Dan macking, were you on any other warnings? It sounds like this has been on the cards, as most employers don't reach this stage that quick.

CAB will be able to help you out with that and the Job Centre will help you out with any claims you're entitled to. If I remember rightly, they deal with initial claims for everything, JSA, Incapacity Benefit and Income Support.

I found myself in a similar situation due to mental health issues and lost my job because of it. Do not do what I did and bury your head in the sand - easier said than done, I know. By not dealing with it when I should, ignoring it and hoping it would go away, I ended up losing my home and spending the next few months sofa surfing, not a penny to my name because I never got my head out my arse to sort out benefits. I don't recommend it!

You don't need a medical certificate for the first seven days. You're supposed to complete a self certificate, which they should give you.Refer them to their SSP guide. With regard to your Dan macking, were you on any other warnings? It sounds like this has been on the cards, as most employers don't reach this stage that quick.

No disciplinary level warnings no . They were aware that I was a heavy drinker and took small doses of fluoxetine.They can sack you at any point during a probationary period though and I don't think my face really fitted in there.

For example, 2 of the things that got put in my work record were my supposed half arsed job at emulshoning the office, and my failure to fix the phone line when they were misconfigured. I didn't like the Operations Manager in there,and he (obviously) didn't like me.

No disciplinary level warnings no . They were aware that I was a heavy drinker and took small doses of fluoxetine.They can sack you at any point during a probationary period though and I don't think my face really fitted in there.

For example, 2 of the things that got put in my work record were my supposed half arsed job at emulshoning the office, and my failure to fix the phone line when they were misconfigured. I didn't like the Operations Manager in there,and he (obviously) didn't like me.

Within probation, they can do pretty much what they like, despite Government saying people will have more rights. You're probably right, they didn't like you. I'd be looking at ways to minimise the impact for the future. Is there anyone there that will give you a reference. Although, to be honest, you don't sound in any condition to work.

Don't know if any of them would give me a reference, I would end up with egg on my face if I put someone down and it got knocked back at job offer stage.

I would agree that I'm not fit to work at present. Going to reasses that at the end of my sick line.

Where you asked to disclose any health issues when you applied or did you undergo a medical?

I've been asked to state what meds I'm on before. I think potential employers would be put off if they knew I was on a bunch of ssri's and similar stuff.

I found myself in a similar situation due to mental health issues and lost my job because of it. Do not do what I did and bury your head in the sand - easier said than done, I know. By not dealing with it when I should, ignoring it and hoping it would go away, I ended up losing my home and spending the next few months sofa surfing, not a penny to my name because I never got my head out my arse to sort out benefits. I don't recommend it!

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, burying my head in the sand. It's so hard to get out of this rut.

How did things change for you?

Wouldn't worry about it. You've loads of time. I'll be doing the same, at 29, in a couple of months.

Chins up guys, just started a completely new career path a couple of weeks ago at the grand old age of 49!

Never give up hope

That's exactly what I'm doing right now, burying my head in the sand. It's so hard to get out of this rut.

How did things change for you?

It was a combination of factors for me. Good friends who knew when I needed my hand held and when I needed a kick up the arse were the biggest thing. The factors that led to my illness were situational. I'd come out of a relationship that was damaging both parties before ending up in a new relationship that was even less healthy. I was hurting myself and in turn hurting everyone around me and eventually I realised the only way to end it was to remove myself from the situation. Medication didn't do much for me because they couldn't deal with the problem and they just left me feeling numb the whole time.

I have many other issues too and I don't think I'll ever be "normal" again but I'm at the stage now that I can recognise when things aren't right and try and do something about it before I get that bad again.

No one can force you into a recovery from depression and what worked for me won't necessarily work for someone else but please do share how you feel with someone. It's incredibly hard to do it alone.

Edited by Mrs M

It was a combination of factors for me. Good friends who knew when I needed my hand held and when I needed a kick up the arse were the biggest thing. The factors that led to my illness were situational. I'd come out of a relationship that was damaging both parties before ending up in a new relationship that was even less healthy. I was hurting myself and in turn hurting everyone around me and eventually I realised the only way to end it was to remove myself from the situation.

Thank you for sharing. To go from that and sofa surfing to nursing (? I'm a bit of a lurker sorry), is highly commendable.

Medication didn't do much for me because they couldn't deal with the problem and they just left me feeling numb the whole time.

I like to think I can relate. I think I need a change of environment, and had thought about doing some voluntary work abroad. But this depression shit just zaps every little bit of motivation you have and all of this negative self-talk and time-wasting just takes over. I hate it. I'm leeching off my mum who's growing older by the second and isn't well off by any means (who also has issues of her own). And I've pushed friends and siblings away too.

My meds are kind of working in that I can actually sleep at night (instead of staying up for no reason then sleeping in during the day).

I have many other issues too and I don't think I'll ever be "normal" again but I'm at the stage now that I can recognise when things aren't right and try and do something about it before I get that bad again.

I'm terribly scared of this. The thought of no matter how happy I'll be in the future, I'm very likely to encounter these dark moments over and over. And even pass it on to kids if I was ever lucky to have any.

God, I'm a moody b*****d.

No one can force you into a recovery from depression and what worked for me won't necessarily work for someone else but please do share how you feel with someone. It's incredibly hard to do it alone.

Yeah, I tried counseling, and even though I got on really well with her, I felt like she was too soft and allowing me to exploit her empathy. I feel like I need a foot up the arse.

Thank you for sharing. To go from that and sofa surfing to nursing (? I'm a bit of a lurker sorry), is highly commendable.

I like to think I can relate. I think I need a change of environment, and had thought about doing some voluntary work abroad. But this depression shit just zaps every little bit of motivation you have and all of this negative self-talk and time-wasting just takes over. I hate it. I'm leeching off my mum who's growing older by the second and isn't well off by any means (who also has issues of her own). And I've pushed friends and siblings away too.

My meds are kind of working in that I can actually sleep at night (instead of staying up for no reason then sleeping in during the day).

I'm terribly scared of this. The thought of no matter how happy I'll be in the future, I'm very likely to encounter these dark moments over and over. And even pass it on to kids if I was ever lucky to have any.

God, I'm a moody b*****d.

Yeah, I tried counseling, and even though I got on really well with her, I felt like she was too soft and allowing me to exploit her empathy. I feel like I need a foot up the arse.

When I applied for my uni place, I thought of it like this: I'm jobless, penniless and in terms of prospects, I have none. It cannot possibly get any worse if I go back into education and try and improve what life is like. Basically, I could only gain from it so motivation from that was fairly easy to come by! That said, I was ready to tackle it, whereas six months before, I might very well not have been. For other people, the thought of changing things, however bad they are, can be frightening. It's completely understandable that they struggle to get motivated.

The fact that you're sleeping is good. It's always one of the first things that changes for me when I'm down. I can lie awake for hours, blowing every tiny thing out of proportion in my head, so I would always consider sleeping at the right times a positive.

Don't fear what the future holds. You can and you will feel well again and you'll have the benefit of experience to help you recognise the little warning signs, should they ever appear.

Counsellors, generally, are there to make you talk things over until you gain new perspectives on them and find new ways to deal with problems, encouraging you to find your own solutions. You actually shouldn't ever find a counsellor that will kick you up the arse and make you do things because that's not what they're meant to do. I'm sure they exist, but it's against their code.

All you can ever really do is take things one step at a time (that's not just one of those cliched lines, honestly. Have you ever tried doing more than one thing at a time? It's a pain in the arse). Have you considered what things are most important to you at this point? Think about what your priorities are, immediately and in the future and what you need to do. Break these down into small, manageable tasks. One of the hardest things about change is thinking of it as a whole and feeling overwhelmed by the challenge. Little steps aren't quite so scary. Pick where to start however you want to - easiest to hardest (this would be my preference), most to least important, whatever you feel comfortable with.

It can be done. You will be able to do it.