Depression

This may not be the right thread to ask this but is there anything that can be prescribed for motivation?

One of my major problems is not keeping focus. I've many, many thoughts about what I want to do with my life but I just can't seem to stick to one. Last year I made a pretty bold move and fucked off to Ukraine for a month, without telling any of my family that I was going and intended to stay there for the foreseeable. I took out loans, overdrafts, you name it and just packed my bag and off I went. I should have planned it much better and I ended up spending over two grand in that one month (people there don't earn that for about 6 months plus) and ended up with a choice of getting a flight home or staying there with £150 with no job, living visa or working visa. I really wanted to stay but I cut my loses and flew back.

I've been up all night looking at apartments to rent in L'viv, asking people I met there about availability, I've been researching about the city with visions of setting up my own tour guide business, but it's all a pipe dream as it stands. It's an unhealthy obsession but it's what I want to do. I don't have a job and I'm in mountains of debt; it really makes me sad that something that most may look at and think it's affordable, I just can't do.

Maybe it's just a kick up the arse I need. To refer back to the birthday scenario; my 21st is next week and I'll end up going to the pub on my own because none of my mates will be bothered to go with me - that starts to make me think I have no mates which actually could be true to an extent. There's no one I could trust implicitly. I don't really want to change who I am but I know that people take one look at me and just think "Aw that's a sin" - it's really downgrading. I'm a nice guy, really, just not confident I guess.

Any thoughts?

I've been recommended the following book from a friend. It's about achieving your potential.

Carol Dweck - how you can fulfil your potential?

This may not be the right thread to ask this but is there anything that can be prescribed for motivation?

One of my major problems is not keeping focus. I've many, many thoughts about what I want to do with my life but I just can't seem to stick to one. Last year I made a pretty bold move and fucked off to Ukraine for a month, without telling any of my family that I was going and intended to stay there for the foreseeable. I took out loans, overdrafts, you name it and just packed my bag and off I went. I should have planned it much better and I ended up spending over two grand in that one month (people there don't earn that for about 6 months plus) and ended up with a choice of getting a flight home or staying there with £150 with no job, living visa or working visa. I really wanted to stay but I cut my loses and flew back.

I've been up all night looking at apartments to rent in L'viv, asking people I met there about availability, I've been researching about the city with visions of setting up my own tour guide business, but it's all a pipe dream as it stands. It's an unhealthy obsession but it's what I want to do. I don't have a job and I'm in mountains of debt; it really makes me sad that something that most may look at and think it's affordable, I just can't do.

Maybe it's just a kick up the arse I need. To refer back to the birthday scenario; my 21st is next week and I'll end up going to the pub on my own because none of my mates will be bothered to go with me - that starts to make me think I have no mates which actually could be true to an extent. There's no one I could trust implicitly. I don't really want to change who I am but I know that people take one look at me and just think "Aw that's a sin" - it's really downgrading. I'm a nice guy, really, just not confident I guess.

Any thoughts?

Do a teaching english to foreigners course, apply for jobs in L'viv if that's where you want to go, and if you don't get any offers from home fly ou anyway and knock on doors. Nothing wrong with a bit of preparation. P.S. If you can't afford to do a Tefl/esol course you can just blag it when you get there, it's mainly conversation classes they'd want you for.

IMO people on this thread shouldn't be so quick to judge who and who doesn't 'deserve' to be depressed.

Depression is an irrational illness and that's precisely the problem. If someone had the clarity of mind to sit back and say 'hey, f**k, why do I worry about etc. etc. when really I'm a good guy and I'll be fine in the end' then they would. Depression stops you from doing that. You may as well tell some in a wheel chair to 'just stop moaning and stand the f**k up'.

Anyway, if we are to take the whole 'that's not even a real problem' argument to its natural conclusion then the only people who would have 'the right' to be depressed would be war-torn Somalian orphans who have been forced into child-labour.

Sounds like a good idea, but try it somewhere else other than the Ukraine.

Watching the news, I seriously doubt their tourist industry is going to be booming at present or in the near future.

Yeah it's really not a good situation in Kyiv at the moment, doesn't look like it will improve anytime soon either sadly. I think L'viv will be okay for the most part during the summer; it can be reached relatively easy from Poland, Czech Republic with more flights direct from Italy and Germany. It's certainly a city that's on the up tourist wise.

I've been recommended the following book from a friend. It's about achieving your potential.

Carol Dweck - how you can fulfil your potential?

I'll have a look, cheers.

Do a teaching english to foreigners course, apply for jobs in L'viv if that's where you want to go, and if you don't get any offers from home fly ou anyway and knock on doors. Nothing wrong with a bit of preparation. P.S. If you can't afford to do a Tefl/esol course you can just blag it when you get there, it's mainly conversation classes they'd want you for.

I went to an English teaching school in a smallish city called Khmel'nytsky funnily enough. It was a good experience and interesting to meet the people there but I'm not sure that's something I would end up doing if I could help it. I was told it doesn't pay as well as what people think if you work for a company - much better if I started my own classes. Private tutoring would be okay I suppose, the biggest thing is that I'm a native speaker and of course being able to speak Ukrainian to an okay standard that's a bonus.

Yeah it's really not a good situation in Kyiv at the moment, doesn't look like it will improve anytime soon either sadly. I think L'viv will be okay for the most part during the summer; it can be reached relatively easy from Poland, Czech Republic with more flights direct from Italy and Germany. It's certainly a city that's on the up tourist wise.

Yep - wasn't being negative, but if I were you I'd wait to see how the situation pans out and reaches an end state before making any big decisions.

You don't want to commit your future to living in a place where there's such ongoing uncertainty - as things stand relying on the short to medium term health of the Ukrainian tourist industry would be a leap of faith akin to moving to the Central African Republic and starting a bouncy castle business. :)

I've got two like you, never surface before lunch time.

I get up at 7 everyday, regardless of it being weekend or weekday. I don't like the idea of waking up anymore. I don't really want to wake up anymore.

I get up at 7 everyday, regardless of it being weekend or weekday. I don't like the idea of waking up anymore. I don't really want to wake up anymore.

I wouldn't want to get up either if i had to wear some of the stuff you buy from amazon.

Edited by blanco

Any thoughts?

You try to copy me :D