January Transfers

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will not be happy at all if we sign another striker.

Joking aside, I can't remember ever disliking a manager as much as Steve Lomas. I was on his side from day 1 and was very excited about his appointment.

Derek McInnes left us during the season at 5th place in the SPL, and we were playing well. Steve Lomas carried on from where McInnes left off. For a while, at least. I think it's called the 'new manager effect' or something. I genuinely think we would have, and should have with the players at our disposal, finished higher in the league if Derek had remained in charge. As it was, we put in some awful performances and were very lucky to finish 6th before failing to win any of our post-split matches. Our players were quarreling/fighting on the pitch, one was arrested for an assault on a bouncer, one was arrested for drink-driving. Rumours abound that Lomas regularly went out drinking with his players, and the reason for the sudden lack of discipline became more clear. Added to this, Steve was consistently giving negative interviews to the press in some sort of attempt to rationalise his team's recent failings on the pitch. The words - 'we had been overachieving' - became his favourite ones. The only team he seemed to be positive about was Rangers (now known as The Rangers).

Steve Lomas made some very promising signings this summer. He clearly had an eye for a bargain and possessed impressive contacts. Our 6th place finish remarkably gave us a European place. In the home leg, we played well and showed that our opponents were there for the taking. However, that had been undone by a poor first display in Turkey in which Lomas chose to play Sean Higgins as a lone striker.

The season began in the same way we finished the last. Poor performances leading to poor results. Discipline on the pitch was poor. We have racked up the most red cards (eight) in the SPL this season. Steve Lomas has been given an 8 match suspension for his touchline antics. Craig Beattie seems to be airing his disappointment publicly on Twitter, showing a lack of respect for the management team. And, of course, Lomas was allegedly involved in the incident which can't be talked about, casting our club in a particularly bad light. The latter period of the previous season and the first couple of months of this one have provided me with some of my most negative emotions as a Saints fan.

Many were calling for Lomas' head many months ago, but he saved himself with a remarkable run which put us in 2nd place for a brief time. At this stage, I said that the real challenge would be to see how Lomas would get the team reacting when we eventually lost a game. It has to be said that he has failed the challenge. Since our great run, we have been unbearably inconsistent with no confidence in front of goal and no discipline on or off the park. We leave substitutes far too late and our manager seems tactically naive.

It's all very well saying that we should be happy with our current SPL position, but I am not. Look at our squad. A half-decent manager would be getting us playing a lot better than we are. The performances and results are simply not good enough considering the players we have at our disposal. This is why I'm not happy with Steve Lomas in charge.

Doesn't help portray a good image either when there's pictures of him in the old ship Inn absolutely plastered, people confirming he was sleeping in the corner of Christies, and other allegations, if he would calm down I'd have no problem with him staying, there's one lassie in particular on twitter who seems to believe lomas is the greatest thing since sliced bread, everyone else thinks he's a dick really.

P&J saying Ivan Sproule is set to become our first signing of the window having agreed his release from Hibs. Not the greatest of signings IMO, but hey-ho.

Not the best but not the worst. Think he will do a reasonable job for us. Going to be difficult getting a higher quality player given our wage payments and where the club is positioned. Unless the player wants a peaceful life in dramatic scenery.

Sproule is a spent force.

This is a poor signing when you consider how many young players are on the fringes of 1st team football the length and breadth of the country who could undoubtedly offer more than Sproule.

I'd be seething if we signed him.

So, in summary, Ivan Sproule to score against us on 19th January.

P&J saying Ivan Sproule is set to become our first signing of the window having agreed his release from Hibs. Not the greatest of signings IMO, but hey-ho.

Thank god! That'll end the Craig for Sproule talk.

St Johnstone have signed a striker, Gary Liggett from Lisburn Distillery.

Excellent - another pointless signing, up there with the Keatings/Oyenuga signings last January.

Beattie, Maclean, Vine, Hasselbaink and Tade. We're in desperate need of another striker, clearly.

Hope this isn't true to be honest.

I suppose Adams will have worked with him at Hibs and thinks he can still offer something, I doubt he'll be signing to sit on the bench like he is doing at hibs as well. He's not bad for bringing on with 5 minutes left to stretch the opposition but even then he's not looked that effective this season, he's still a wee bit quick but apart from that he wont offer much else. Still cant cross, pass, beat a player without using his old hit and run technique and his decision making in the final third is abysmal.

Sproule will always have a place in the heart of hibs fans after his Ibrox performances and on his day he was tough to stop, will be sad to see him go as he loves the club but it makes sense that he gets game time for as long as he can. Good luck to him.

Looks good on paper but I'd rather we signed a striker who can definitely score at SPL level.

Looks fookin terrible to me.

Better recalling young Leighton.

Even if we got him for nothing - why give experience to someone else's youngsters?

Looks good on paper but I'd rather we signed a striker who can definitely score at SPL level.

Colin Nish is a regular goalscorer at SPL level, even though he's not very good.

The fact that he has hardly scored since joining you suggests that the problems lie elsewhere.

Colin Nish is a regular goalscorer at SPL level, even though he's not very good.

The fact that he has hardly scored since joining you suggests that the problems lie elsewhere.

He's had plenty of feckin chances to be fair, never seen someone miss as many 1 on 1s in my life. (well maybe Baird) :(.

For Perth Saints fans - you could be right re: strikers as Sky Sports report Notts County are in for Craig Beattie.

Although we do have problems elsewhere, I think that the main problem with Nish is that he's fucking shite.

He's had plenty of feckin chances to be fair, never seen someone miss as many 1 on 1s in my life. (well maybe Baird) :(.

For Perth Saints fans - you could be right re: strikers as Sky Sports report Notts County are in for Craig Beattie.

Beattie wouldn't be missed at all. He's come off the bench 4 times (I think?) all season..and that's it. He's fit at the moment and not even making the match day squads. Could've been a great signing for us, but it really just hasn't worked out. He's probably better off away too in all honesty.

We have problems all over but Nish misses chance after chance.

The cynical part of me reckons that Sproule has lived off his hat-trick against, the now defunct, Rangers.

That said, he sounds like a slightly better Corcoran, and given Corcoran didn't look completely out of his depth earlier this season, that's somewhat encouraging.

I'm sure I'll probably think he's shite sooner rather than later though.

Archived