Sons' sorrow

Cheers SD. Remember being told about Christmas fixtures a while back but couldn't remember if it was the day itself or Boxing Day. Was there a noticeable impact on attendances?

Correctomundo, arguably the finest goal scored by a Sons player in living memory.

Go on then, talk us young whipper snappers to young to have witnessed it for themselves through the goal...

Aye, Merry Christmas everyone.

Now, here's one for the oldies...what was significant about Christmas Day 1971, and who on here personally witnessed it ?

'Twas the last full programme of Christmas Day fixtures in Scotland. Celtic went on to win Division 1 and Dumbarton pipped Arbroath for the Division 2 title. Sons played out a 2v2 draw with St Mirren at Love St. I was there to see a fantastic strike from Roy McCormack add to an earlier Kenny Wilson header. Saints pegged us back with two late goals. Out of interest, the other scores that day (courtesy of the SFPL website) were as follows: -

Division 1 - December 25, 1971

Airdrieonians 1-1 Clyde

Celtic 3-2 Hearts

Dundee United 3-2 Dunfermline Athletic

East Fife 1-1 Motherwell

Falkirk 0-3 Aberdeen

Hibernian 0-1 Rangers

Kilmarnock 4-2 Morton

Partick Thistle 0-1 Ayr United

St Johnstone 0-0 Dundee

Division 2 - December 25, 1971

Alloa Athletic 0-3 Montrose

Arbroath 2-2 Queen of the South

Brechin City 2-1 Stirling Albion

Clydebank 2-1 Stenhousemuir

Cowdenbeath 1-0 Albion Rovers

Hamilton Accies 2-1 Forfar Athletic

Queen's Park 2-0 Berwick Rangers

Stranraer 0-3 East Stirlingshire

Cheers SD. Remember being told about Christmas fixtures a while back but couldn't remember if it was the day itself or Boxing Day. Was there a noticeable impact on attendances?

Go on then, talk us young whipper snappers to young to have witnessed it for themselves through the goal...

As I recall, Big Roy ran on to a thro ball in what used to be called the inside left channel, held off a Saints defender who I'm sure was a young Gordon McQueen, and in one flowing movement he fired a left-foot (ground) shot with minimal backlift from about 22 yards which flew past stationary 'keeper Danny Stevenson. The ball hit the goal stanchion so hard that it ricocheted halfway back down the Saints half, with the referee initially unaware that it was a goal, and according to the scorer himself it was only an act of sporting behaviour from Saints left back Iain Munro who confirmed the score to the stand-side linesman that the officials then awarded the goal.

Apart from that, my recollection is a bit hazy.

Love Street. Roy McCormack. Absolute belter.

Best goal I've ever seen live. (Or even not live come to that.)

He hit the ball so hard it rebounded off the stanchion (remember stanchions?) to well outside the penalty area. The ref wasn't going to give the goal until the linesman flagged it had actually gone in and not hit the post or bar. (He was way more than 22 yards out when he hit it. As I recall he was about on the left wing halfway into Saints half.)

Big Roy hit two belters either side of that game - against Alloa at Boghead the previous week and at Kilbowie against the Bankies on New Year's Day 1972.

Edited by rockson

Time I suppose to think about the transfer window. Assume our activity will be governed by those deals about to run out and which of them we keep. Hopefully Saunders and Barr stay and we get a new deal on Lindsay . Not sure who else is due to have deal expire.

Time I suppose to think about the transfer window. Assume our activity will be governed by those deals about to run out and which of them we keep. Hopefully Saunders and Barr stay and we get a new deal on Lindsay . Not sure who else is due to have deal expire.

Shocked that you forgot Stevie Ross tbh