Sons' sorrow

I mind when I went to see Bankies v Auchinleck Talbot at Rugby Park in the SJFA Cup Final a few years ago and the stadium announcer called the teams Auchinleck Talbot and Clydebank Juniors several times. Amused me.

Stranraer: Belford, trialist, dick, mckeown, robertson, trialist, thomson, osadolar, malcolm, trialist, gibson.

Subs currie, mccloskey, agnew, trialist turner, kemp.

Missing. Bell and McGuigan

Sons team v Stranraer: Ewings, Pettigrew, Docherty, Wright, Buchanan, Smith, Gallagher, Stevenson, Stirling, Thomson, Fleming.

Changes for Sons. McCallum, Peters, Tatar, Kasabundi and Gibbons on. Thomson, Smith, Stirling, Stevenson and Gallagher off.

22 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Apologies if it came across as disrespectful, but most of the subs we brought on wouldn't get near either of our respective first teams.

Ours were 3 trialists; a guy from Clydebank Juniors, a guy who played for Strathspey Thistle, and a guy who couldn't get in a woeful Cowden team last season along with two youth team players. McCallum's had a few starts, but still has yet to fully convince and Ryan Clark who only made his full debut on Monday night.

So aye, your subs were almost certainly better. Certainly Agnew, the 11 (Mcloesky or something?) and Kemp.

Is that Gibbons you mean?  Sadly Gibbons did get in our team last season.  He was absolutely awful.  Admittedly I only saw him play twice but in both games he was a passenger.  I doubt any Cowden fans would want to see him back at Central Park.

Best of luck to him if he does sign for Dumbarton.  Maybe not being in a relegation battle with Colin Nish in charge will bring out the best in him!

Anyone know what's wrong with Darren Barr? I'm assuming he's injured, just a bit concerning given his record and how thin our squad is.

At the game on Tuesday he looked in a bad way, could barely walk.

If it's long-term we'll have to bring in another defender. Wouldn't mind that being Stranraer's trialist number 4 (Ross Barbour).

Would also be concerning in midfield if Tatar was going to be signed and his injury is a bad one.

If it's long-term we'll have to bring in another defender. Wouldn't mind that being Stranraer's trialist number 4 (Ross Barbour).

Would also be concerning in midfield if Tatar was going to be signed and his injury is a bad one.

Concerning.

Especially considering Stevie's hinting at only bringing in 1 or 2 more.

17 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Is that Gibbons you mean?  Sadly Gibbons did get in our team last season.  He was absolutely awful.  Admittedly I only saw him play twice but in both games he was a passenger.  I doubt any Cowden fans would want to see him back at Central Park.

Best of luck to him if he does sign for Dumbarton.  Maybe not being in a relegation battle with Colin Nish in charge will bring out the best in him!

Aye it was, it just remember reading him getting a solid slagging every week from you lot. He's actually looked alright in the friendlies, but would be a pretty uninspiring signing

13 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

That's not sounding good at all. Barbour is apparently very near signing for Stranraer, and with them obviously offering decent money I'm not sure we could/should match it.

I'd imagine Stevie won't sign Tatar until he knows he'll be fit, or near fit. If Barr's out long term then we will need another CB for sure as I don't think big Fraz, as much as I love him, can manage playing week in week out. I wonder if Tatar can play CB? Stevie's obviously after versatile players, so I'd imagine he could play in more than just one position. 

If Barr will be out for a while we could also sign a right back, moving Pettigrew to centre back, which would obviously give us better cover at full back as well.

Aye, that's another possibility. What did you think of the wee guy that played there against the Colts? He looked extremely young, and was tiny, but I thought he wasn't bad. Wouldn't be averse to seeing him get some gametime against Motherwell if he's still looking for a club.

Still no idea who he was though!

51 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye it was, it just remember reading him getting a solid slagging every week from you lot. He's actually looked alright in the friendlies, but would be a pretty uninspiring signing

Possibly it could just be that he didn't like playing for us which last season would be understandable.  He always seemed to want a couple more seconds than he was allowed to get on the ball.  Not much of a tackler either.  I'd be worried if I was a Sons fan and he was signed!

2 hours ago, Blue1870 said:

Stranraer: Belford, trialist, dick, mckeown, robertson, trialist, thomson, osadolar, malcolm, trialist, gibson.

Subs currie, mccloskey, agnew, trialist turner, kemp.

Missing. Bell and McGuigan

Who were the trialists that started for Stranraer?

Looks like Brady won't be signing

Daniel Brady played in the game against Cumbernauld Colts, however Stevie Aitken confirmed after the Stranraer game that Brady had gone back down south after Monday fixture.

Article

The worrying thing about that is that It appears we aren't interested in making any permanent signings that aren't already on trial with us. Let's face it apart from Tatar there nowhere near good enough end of. I wonder who the lones will be.

Aye, that's another possibility. What did you think of the wee guy that played there against the Colts? He looked extremely young, and was tiny, but I thought he wasn't bad. Wouldn't be averse to seeing him get some gametime against Motherwell if he's still looking for a club.

Still no idea who he was though!

I thought he looked out of his depth even at that level; too slow, too weak and lacked the basics of defending.

Also thought Gibbons looked completely uncomfortable every time he was called into action. I understand he isn't a defender, but seemed to panic every time he was passed the ball.

If we are running with a small squad we'll have to be ruthless. These two guys, and Kasubandi, just don't look up to the required level. In fact, they look almost exactly like their career history personified.

6 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

I thought he looked out of his depth even at that level; too slow, too weak and lacked the basics of defending.

Also thought Gibbons looked completely uncomfortable every time he was called into action. I understand he isn't a defender, but seemed to panic every time he was passed the ball.

If we are running with a small squad we'll have to be ruthless. These two guys, and Kasubandi, just don't look up to the required level. In fact, they look almost exactly like their career history personified.

Meh, I thought he was alright, although they were pretty rank opponents. Gibbons was almost like The Mantis/James Creaney in possession, but reasonably solid defensively in the 1st half. He was clearly not a full-back, but he was absolutely fine without being noticeable. 

I'm looking at all of the trialists and, probably Tatar aside, don't think any of them would add much to the squad. If Stevie is adding two new faces then they need to be a defender/somebody who can play in defence and a striker. Even that leaves us exposed in terms of a lack of wingers, but I'm guessing we'll need to prioritise positions here.

Hopefully some 25 goal superstar floats in out of nowhere. It's definitely not Joel Kasubandi or Josh Peters though.