Sons' sorrow

We're all working from a few words that Stevie Aitken has apparently had with the Scotsman, given that the agent has offered them an interview to correct their piece and agreed an interview with the local paper I'd suggest everyone goes and has a nice glass of chill the f**k out until everything's been clarified (which I imagine will be Wednesday).  It's entirely possible the Scotsman have misquoted or misheard Stevie and ran a story. It's also entirely possible that we've signed him as an amateur to avoid paying compensation. 

Glad the Queens boys have arrived to keep us morally correct though.

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It does seem like they're struggling to come to terms with what has happened doesn't it? Fair enough, Annan fans might feel hard done by and hold a grudge. But at the end of the day Dumbarton have done nothing wrong or incorrectly.

More than once it's been mentioned that Todd's agent seems to have used this to get around him being force to return to a club he clearly doesn't want to play for.

Dumbarton are offered a player who looks reasonably good and seems to have lots of potential too, for relatively little money. Why would anyone expect us to do anything but accept and sign him up? Especially since we are running with a lower budget and smaller squad this season.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

How is it nonsense?

Why dont you define the 'right' thing to do.

Your arrival makes me fear how unbearably tedious this thread may become.

I was challenging the idea that it's impossible to do anything morally wrong, so long as the rules apparently permit it.

That's what I quoted and responded to.  I know even less about the details of this particular case than you do and I've not pretended otherwise.

It seems that this situation will need to be clarified in some shape or form as it would appear that DFC risks reputational damage in some eyes.  And as Wilf points out it would be an unfortunate outcome were relations to be soured with Annan.  I do think however that any notion that we somehow coerced Josh Todd or his agent into going down the amateur route is utter bullplop, so let's keep this one grounded in facts, and for that we'll maybe all need to wait a bit longer.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

"The Queens boys"? Just to be clear, three Queens fans have posted about this. I haven't offered any opinion on it at all, not my place to do so. Just clarified some rules. Monkey Tennis has so far made a single post which was one word long. If you mean Mr X you could just say Mr X.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

"The Queens boys"? Just to be clear, three Queens fans have posted about this. I haven't offered any opinion on it at all, not my place to do so. Just clarified some rules. Monkey Tennis has so far made a single post which was one word long. If you mean Mr X you could just say Mr X.

Monkey Tennis' word being "nonsense" in reply to a post which said we've done nothing wrong. I just said Queens boys as there was more than 1 comment from more than 1 fan. Must you be so fucking anal about everything?

4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didn't offer an opinion on the Todd business either.

Some of them probably could use a little moral guidance though.

26 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It seems that this situation will need to be clarified in some shape or form as it would appear that DFC risks reputational damage in some eyes.  And as Wilf points out it would be an unfortunate outcome were relations to be soured with Annan.  I do think however that any notion that we somehow coerced Josh Todd or his agent into going down the amateur route is utter bullplop, so let's keep this one grounded in facts, and for that we'll maybe all need to wait a bit longer.

Has anyone even suggested this? Dumbarton have clearly taken advantage of a situation presented to them. 

21 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Has anyone wondered if the lad has paid the fee himself just to get back to playing? That's an option is it not?

I also wondered that. However, if that were the case why would he still need to sign as an amateur?

15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

All this debate will be rendered moot if this lad turns out to be utterly bobbins and / or gets injured.

Or if it turns out we signed him as a professional.

Just now, Dynamo 2013 said:

Scott Fox was signed as an amateur at QOS from Celtic.

Monkey Tennis, moral guidance on this one, plz.

18 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Monkey Tennis, moral guidance on this one, plz.

Sorry, I have no view on that signing, just as I have none on what's happened with Josh Todd.

You'll need to rely on your own faulty compass here.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Monkey Tennis' word being "nonsense" in reply to a post which said we've done nothing wrong. I just said Queens boys as there was more than 1 comment from more than 1 fan. Must you be so fucking anal about everything?

No, Monkey Tennis posted the word "nonsense" with respect to the suggestion that if something was within the letter of the law it couldn't be immoral. And he's right, that clearly is nonsense. He hasn't offered any opinion about Dumbarton's actions either so far as I can see.

I'll stop being anal when you stop tarring me with someone else's brush. Deal?

27 minutes ago, Dynamo 2013 said:

Scott Fox was signed as an amateur at QOS from Celtic.

Indeed he was. In 2010 or so when Celtic were holding out for a six figure fee for him and froze him out as a professional until he was 23 or 24 (can't recall exactly what the rules were then). Not sure how he ended up with us but he offered to play for nothing and ended up playing a few first team games under Kenny Brannigan before moving on to Dundee once able to sign professional again.

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Or if it turns out we signed him as a professional.

Is this a possibility? I see the article on the official site has been changed as theirs no mention of him signing as an amateur now.

Fox was under different circumstances and I certainly have no issue with our club not handing over money to Celtic

Is this a possibility? I see the article on the official site has been changed as theirs no mention of him signing as an amateur now.

Fox was under different circumstances and I certainly have no issue with our club not handing over money to Celtic

:lol:

So it's okay to not hand over money to Celtic but it's morally wrong when it's Annan? Bit of a strange outlook. Fox even came through Celtic's youth system, unlike Todd who got paid to do a job. Celtic would've invested far more in Fox than Annan did with Todd.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

:lol:

So it's okay to not hand over money to Celtic but it's morally wrong when it's Annan? Bit of a strange outlook. Fox even came through Celtic's youth system, unlike Todd who got paid to do a job. Celtic would've invested far more in Fox than Annan did with Todd.

I dont think finding the thought of one small club screwing over another small club morally objectionable as opposed to a small club avoiding paying a very big club strange at all.

The circumstances of Fox signing for Queens arent the same anyway

ETA - had Dumbarton signed Todd from Celtic I wouldnt have cared either

Edited by Mr X