Sons' sorrow

Ann Budge deserves a degree of credit for the turnaround she's delivered at Hearts. She was able to bring people together from the supporters community and the football business and they seem to have turned the club around. Whilst her views on the smaller teams in Scotland are exceptionally distasteful, and more than a touch Orwellian in tone (all football clubs are equal, but some clubs are more equal than others), she has had a major impact at Tynecastle.

A better example for us may have been the takeover of St Mirren or Motherwell. Neither have been without their troubles but both offer an interesting option for smaller teams to affect genuine change. Both examples of the supporters working with a businessman who helps with the initial purchase but where the fans are the ones driving the long term ownership of the club.

Heaney's piece is something many would like to see happen. Unfortunately it's a good 20 years out of date. The days of local businessmen buying football clubs is over. There are only a handful of ownership models that can work in modern football - there's the billionaire who wishes for a play thing, the foreign investors who want to exploit media and merchandise revenues, the quick buck merchants who want to extract some kind of profit from the club before selling it on (usually) in a worse state to the next shyster looking to so the same and the supporters who bravely battle to keep local community clubs alive against the odds. Rankine owned us. Brabco bought us. We were unloved by our owners under Rankine and so far Brabco have done nothing to show any interest in the club. They've been honest from the outset - they're here to make money - and if they can do that without royally shafting us then all the better, but lets not kid ourselves that there's a white knight out there who will come in, buy the club from Brabco and do so out the goodness of their heart.

That doesnt happen in the modern era. Either it's a genuine partnership between the support and somebody who can finance a takeover or it's placing your faith in a faceless businessman. Doing the latter is how we end up with the presentation and public consultation at our ground today. Perhaps doing the former, with the Sons Trust being a major player, would be the credible and viable alternative ownership model for our club?

And as far as the consultation goes, I'd urge as many fans as possible to get along to the game early tomorrow, get to grips with the initial proposal and ask questions. I've been today after work. I spoke with the planning consultant, one of the Brabco investors and another club director. Whatever your views are on their proposals, its vital that fans take the opportunity to get along, get informed and ask questions. It's also vital to get along to the Sons Trust AGM on November 23rd. We cant't afford to sleepwalk into this.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

So the consultation was fairly pointless. Not a single soul there to answer any of my questions.

Fair play to the Trust for pushing for the Saturday consultation. It's a shame Ian Wilson had more important matters to attend to.. aka his free rid wine and braised steak in hospitality.

Whilst I agree it was a bit disappointimg that nobody was there (other than Callum Hosie for a brief 5 minutes before kick off) to answer questions, Ian Wilson will be giving a presentation and answering questions on the 23rd - that is where we get everything out in the open and we need as many folk there as we can to do that. If only a handful of fans show up that will be seen as an acceptance of the plans and on todays showing I'm not sure how anyone can accept those plans without some form of questioning over finance, feasibility and the ability of those involved to pull off such a project with no background in this kind of work in their past. I can't stress enough how important this stuff is for the future of the club, I really hope Sons fans make themselves heard.

Whilst I agree it was a bit disappointimg that nobody was there (other than Callum Hosie for a brief 5 minutes before kick off) to answer questions, Ian Wilson will be giving a presentation and answering questions on the 23rd - that is where we get everything out in the open and we need as many folk there as we can to do that. If only a handful of fans show up that will be seen as an acceptance of the plans and on todays showing I'm not sure how anyone can accept those plans without some form of questioning over finance, feasibility and the ability of those involved to pull off such a project with no background in this kind of work in their past. I can't stress enough how important this stuff is for the future of the club, I really hope Sons fans make themselves heard.

The meeting on the 23rd is great for guys like me and you who will try their utmost to be there but for today was a great opportunity for the 'Saturday fan' to have their voices heard and questions answered.

To have Ian Wilson through in hospitality with gravy dripping off his chin whilst old guys walk around confused and having zero clue as to what's going on is very poor form IMO.

Why wasn't he there to answer mine, and numerous others questions today? He's done hee haw to aid his cause with his non appearance.

From the BBC report

Dumbarton manager Stevie Aitken: "We weren't at it right from the word go.

"This morning, Darren Barr had to pull out because his wee girl is not well. Hopefully everything goes okay there.

"Our two injuries in the space of five minutes turned the game. My main concern now is the fitness of the squad because we're right down to the low numbers.

"Mark Docherty is in a lot of pain and is away to hospital for an x-ray - it seems to be his calf, achilles and ankle area. The doctor's checked it and thinks it's more of a muscular problem

"Frazer Wright's pulled up with his hamstring and calf."

Hope everything is alright with Darren's daughter first and foremost.

Right. The injuries did not turn the game - sure the goals came after the two players went off, but the fact we had barely stumbled beyond the halfway line meant that a 'Ton goal was always likely. We barely managed a decent effort last week, and did not force Gaston into a single save today. That, I am afraid, is the reason we lost - not the injuries (although they didn't help, granted).

Long, aimless balls into the channels where Robert Thomson can miscontrol them is horrific to watch. Gaz barely got near the ball today, and the wingers were fairly pointless. 

At least it's not the usual 'part-time, SPL quality team, top, top side, boys gave it everything' patter.

Absolutely spot on Moonster.

It would have been great to have seen Wilson talking to fans before today's game. There's a lot of distrust from our support when it comes to Brabco, primarily because they're seen as faceless men who have no real links to the club. Today would have been a good opportunity to address that and to try to start dialogue with the fans.

Thats why Nov 23rd is so important. We need a strong turn out from trust members. If we're going to be a meaningful part of what happens in the next few years then we need a strong voice. That means as strong a show as we can get for events like the AGM and hopefully a growth in membership.

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Absolutely spot on Moonster.

It would have been great to have seen Wilson talking to fans before today's game. There's a lot of distrust from our support when it comes to Brabco, primarily because they're seen as faceless men who have no real links to the club. Today would have been a good opportunity to address that and to try to start dialogue with the fans.

Thats why Nov 23rd is so important. We need a strong turn out from trust members. If we're going to be a meaningful part of what happens in the next few years then we need a strong voice. That means as strong a show as we can get for events like the AGM and hopefully a growth in membership.

I'm trying to get my head round this grand plan for a new stadium when set against the day to day running of the club by well-meaning but ageing amateurs.  Normally owners take some sort of passing interest in their investment but this seems to be a glaring exception.  Does anyone know if Brabco has anyone on the Dumbarton FC board or if they are involved in anything on the football side ?

Fecking weird if you ask me.

11 minutes ago, Turnberry Fields Forever said:

I'm trying to get my head round this grand plan for a new stadium when set against the day to day running of the club by well-meaning but ageing amateurs.  Normally owners take some sort of passing interest in their investment but this seems to be a glaring exception.  Does anyone know if Brabco has anyone on the Dumbarton FC board or if they are involved in anything on the football side ?

Fecking weird if you ask me.

Brabco have Ian Wilson on the Dumbarton board of directors.

Ian was at the consultation open day yesterday and attended today's match. I believe he'll also be attending the Sons Trust AGM on November 23rd to give a presentation on the stadium proposal.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

20 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Brabco have Ian Wilson on the Dumbarton board of directors.

Ian was at the consultation open day yesterday and attended today's match. I believe he'll also be attending the Sons Trust AGM on November 23rd to give a presentation on the stadium proposal.

That's right. The AGM itself will be fairly short and will include the normal business -- plus a report from me on how we've been tracking and monitoring stadium move developments over the past year, and a couple of new announcements. Then, at the request of the Sonstrust, Ian Wilson and planning consultant Roddy MacLeod will join us for the follow-on general meeting about the stadium. That will include a presentation, questions and open discussion. Both the AGM and the stadium meeting are for Sonstrust members (you can sign up on the night if you want to), but we're also inviting representatives of the two community councils, DFC directors to the stadium meeting. The AGM is at 7pm. We hope to start the stadium meeting by 7.30pm. https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/agm-and-supporters-meeting/

Best, Simon

That's right. The AGM itself will be fairly short and will include the normal business -- plus a report from me on how we've been tracking and monitoring stadium move developments over the past year, and a couple of new announcements. Then, at the request of the Sonstrust, Ian Wilson and planning consultant Roddy MacLeod will join us for the follow-on general meeting about the stadium. That will include a presentation, questions and open discussion. Both the AGM and the stadium meeting are for Sonstrust members (you can sign up on the night if you want to), but we're also inviting representatives of the two community councils, DFC directors to the stadium meeting. The AGM is at 7pm. We hope to start the stadium meeting by 7.30pm. https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2016/11/06/agm-and-supporters-meeting/

Best, Simon

Can see it now. First question please..

Punter: Ian, I have concerns about how you will achieve the stadium move without leaving the club shouldered with massive debts.
Ian W: glad you could turn up, were here to reassure you that everything will be fine. I'll pass this one to Roddy.