Sons' sorrow

If we could get Mark Brown, Pettigrew and big Fraz Wright off the wage bill we should hopefully have room for another few additions. Add to that the chat about Jazza being crippled and McCallum going on loan then we should have plenty of scope to strengthen. There's also a fair chance that Thomson and most definitely Stevo were our two highest earners.

I must admit, minus the departure of Thomson I'm delighted with how things have progressed with the squad this month.

Where did Thomson end up, that is Robert Thomson?

9 hours ago, KierenAAFC said:

Apologies. Aye, heard he was a player. Didn't think I would've missed Robbo moving on - he's good on his day too. Glad to see Sparky still picking up the odd goal & TOTW appearance.

Sparky's been a bit of a revelation playing in the middle - either at CB or CM - off the top of my head I think he's won something like 4 MOTM awards in our home games this season, as the Wasps said when he signed, he's far better there than at LB.

Joe, Stevo and Fraz out the door. Rumours about Brown, Todd, the Don and Petts leaving too, genuine or not.

I wonder if Stevie thought he'd need three players before some of these departures were confirmed?

Also, I think Bucky and Barr have been good enough to keep Fraz out the team, a new CB coming in will have the same issue to challenge.

So, LB still to be confirmed, Brown and Ewings to resolve.

I can't help but worry that we might not see Jaz back this season. His back injury seems to be pretty horrendous.

To be honest I trust Stevie at the moment, which might sound daft given how critical I was of him last month. He's identified the players who we need to move on, and has brought in (on paper) some good looking players. I reckon it'll be a one in one out basis'- and I reckon he won't be letting a player leave without a replacement lined up.

44 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Joe, Stevo and Fraz out the door. Rumours about Brown, Todd, the Don and Petts leaving too, genuine or not.

I wonder if Stevie thought he'd need three players before some of these departures were confirmed?

Also, I think Bucky and Barr have been good enough to keep Fraz out the team, a new CB coming in will have the same issue to challenge.

So, LB still to be confirmed, Brown and Ewings to resolve.

Harvie is confirmed so left back is fine. If we have those 4 leaving then I'd say we need another 3 in, one of them being a keeper as Ewings doesn't look like being fit any time soon. 7 players leaving from a squad of 18(?) is a fairly large turn over for middle of the season, I just hope it doesn't upset us too much.

I'm not convinced we will see another 4 leave though.

As one of stevies critics I'm glad things have turned around on the pitch. Also pretty happy with the January signings so far, however without being the one to put a dampener on things as I am looking forward to the 2nd half of the season.........
The players we have brought in are replacing ones that have gone so the squad isn't getting any bigger which has been a problem so far (ok the ones coming in will probably come off the bench and not just sit there to make up numbers) and when you have a high turnover of players it tends to take a while for them all to gel. See our starts to the season for the past few years for evidence of this. I would highly doubt another 4 bodies will leave before the end of January

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

Think I said already, but surely if we can bring in a hungry young CB then if anything he would have a better chance of getting into the side. Which definitely isn't a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Sparky's been a bit of a revelation playing in the middle - either at CB or CM - off the top of my head I think he's won something like 4 MOTM awards in our home games this season, as the Wasps said when he signed, he's far better there than at LB.

Sparky has indeed won Man of the Match 4 times this year, including both home games V Dundee United.

Anybody fancy volunteering to pick Man of the Match for forthcoming games? Give me a shout.

I too am chuffed with our business so far. Freeing ourselves of Stevo is a big plus, not only due to his lack of effectiveness but his reportedly large wage too. To get someone in in his place who resembles a striker and presumably knows what effort is makes it all the more pleasing. Who knows what Locke is thinking there. I can't say I know much of Vaughan but from what's been said already, it sounds like he could be a good option.

It's a shame Fraz is away because he put in some great performances for us last season, but we all know his fitness seemed to be an issue this season, so it's a no-brainer if it's been a mutual parting.

It has been quite the turnover this month, so I'm expecting one or two more additions to the squad, but it's another plus to retaining Harvie until the end of the season.

Well Done to Aitken and Faz for the business they've done so far, impressive and most welcome.

Bit worried as to our team for Morton game. I make it we have eighteen players at the moment. However Gallagher and Ewings are injured,Harvie is suspended and there is no guarantee that Carswells clearance will come through on time which takes us down to fourteen. Included in that 14 are MaCallum and Todd whom the club seem willing to let go. We desperately need a centre back and midfielder before Saturday.

We don't need a centre back for Saturday, Barr and Buchanan will both play. If Carswells clearance isn't through then we have a bit more of a problem at centre midfield but if he is available then he comes in for Joe Thomson and Pettigrew plays left back, everyone else can stay the same (Stirling probably comes back in to be fair) and we then have Vaughan and Nade to come off the bench.

Part of me hopes he just throws Nade on from the start, but I'm not sure Garry deserves dropped.