Sons' sorrow

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Haven't read through every player appraisal yet but I agree with all of your hits and misses aside from 2. Grant Gallagher (but you knew that anyway) and Tom Lang. I'm not sure Tom is good enough to play every week at this level but I agree he has potential. He'd be an undecided for me, as would Seagal actually.

Edit - I think it shows how Stevies recruitment at this level has improved, he made a lot of mistakes last season and we're maybe still feeling the effects of that now if rumours of our financial position are to be believed (other factors obviously at play there too). But he got the majority of his signings right this year and if he stays (which I hope he does, quickly) then I'm sure he'll do a good job again. 

Thought you might disagree with the GeeGal one ;) I'm pretty honest about how much I rate Lang, I think he'll make mistakes but he's got something about him. I hope we keep him, especially if we lose Buchanan, as he complimented Barr perfectly in the Raith game.

I felt terrible giving wee SeaGal a miss, I'd definitely be up for keeping him next season to replace Stirling. He probably doesn't have the flair, but he's hard working and pretty effective. Strikes me as a really nice wee guy too.

But aye, the signings have been noticeably better this year. I wrote the reviews of the players who had left first - a few weeks ago actually - and so it felt weird giving pretty much everyone from this season a hit. I suspect his arrival late on meant he had to gamble with players and, naturally, quite a few flopped.

16 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I've got a problem with Vaughan's rating as well. Wouldn't say that signing was that much of a hit with everyone tbh..

It's all good, he'll stroll League 1 next season and you'll be delighted he had this loan spell ;)

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

As I hinted on here a few weeks ago, I've written a thing rating every single Stevie Aitken signing at DFC. 

Hop on, have a read, but don't dare disagree with me ;)

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/rating-every-stevie-aitken-signing-at-dumbarton

I've proofed it a couple of times, but it's over 5500 words long so there will be a few wee grammatical mistakes floating about in there I'm sure. Feel free to point them out, I won't be offended!

Great article - well done Sonsteam.

As I hinted on here a few weeks ago, I've written a thing rating every single Stevie Aitken signing at DFC. 
Hop on, have a read, but don't dare disagree with me [emoji6]
http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/rating-every-stevie-aitken-signing-at-dumbarton
I've proofed it a couple of times, but it's over 5500 words long so there will be a few wee grammatical mistakes floating about in there I'm sure. Feel free to point them out, I won't be offended!

A great article and compelling read, very well done, So08.

Strangely I differ on two points as well. Granted I didn't see 'the' game where Tom Walsh impressed, but I thought he was invisible for most of his time with us and he didn't impress me.

And as much as SeaGal's effort can't be faulted, and he's not been a bad player, he's been very similar, in his less game time, to Josh Todd. Very 'meh', little end product and when we're looking to add quality in the close season, I just don't feel he's what we should be looking for.

I'm in total agreement on Tom Lang though. He's really impressed me in the few chances he's had, he's a very good judge of a tackle as well, don't know if he's had a mistimed challenge yet. If Barr and Buchanan stay, he'd be a back-up, but if not, I'd be pretty content if he were challenging for a starting spot next season.

Just now, DumbartonTheSons said:

A great article and compelling read, very well done, So08.

Strangely I differ on two points as well. Granted I didn't see 'the' game where Tom Walsh impressed, but I thought he was invisible for most of his time with us and he didn't impress me.

And as much as SeaGal's effort can't be faulted, and he's not been a bad player, he's been very similar, in his less game time, to Josh Todd. Very 'meh', little end product and when we're looking to add quality in the close season, I just don't feel he's what we should be looking for.

I'm in total agreement on Tom Lang though. He's really impressed me in the few chances he's had, he's a very good judge of a tackle as well, don't know if he's had a mistimed challenge yet. If Barr and Buchanan stay, he'd be a back-up, but if not, I'd be pretty content if he were challenging for a starting spot next season.

Cheers.

I know that not everyone will agree with it, but that's part of the fun of things I suppose! Especially glad I'm not the only one in the Tom Lang fan club though :lol:

Cheers.
I know that not everyone will agree with it, but that's part of the fun of things I suppose! Especially glad I'm not the only one in the Tom Lang fan club though :lol:

Exactly. Imagine how boring it'd be if we all agreed? Ayr fans wouldn't have anyone to argue with.[emoji23]

Definitely not. I think he already looks very accomplished and I'd be very happy if he had a chance to continue to develop with us next season.

I was up in the Highlands all weekend and had very little signal so I haven't had a chance to check the emails. I hope to get back to everyone who has placed a bid by tonight and apologies for the delay.

No worries. Thanks for organising, sounds like it will be great.

17 minutes ago, JockysJetpack said:

Congrats on staying up again guys! Truly a fantastic achievement that seems to be overlooked. 

Enjoy it with this quiz https://www.sporcle.com/games/purplefrogg6/dumbarton-top-5-scorers-since-9899

Top-5 Dumbarton scorers per season since 1998/99 

Let me know what you think and how you get on!

Oaft, you've blown my wee quiz out the water there.

Got a solid 100/113. Including every single one up until 2007/08. Missed a few sitters in the late 90s, early 2000s, but I was about 3 or 4 then, so that's a reasonable excuse. 

5910b36dd3af9_Screenshot2017-05-08at19_04_40.thumb.png.edd7af93bd418307988a09b1edd287bc.png

That's Donald McCallum's loan at us up, and unfortunately for him it doesn't really look as if there's much of a future back at Dumbarton. McCallum made a dozen or so (if that) appearances from the bench, and never really showed anything. I would've liked to see him tried from the start but he never got a shot, whether it be in a front 2 or 3. He looked a carbon copy of Kane Hester, who we'd punted on loan to Montrose Roselea-small, weak, not particularly quick and not particularly technically gifted. A shame as when he signed I thought he could perfect to play off Steven Doris, but it wasn't to be. His effort when played couldn't be faulted and I'm glad he picked up a medal yesterday. Presume he is out of contract with Dumbarton?If he manages to sign for an SPFL club next season it looks like he'll be in the last chance saloon if he wants to have a successful senior career. Congratulations on staying up btw, hopefully we'll see you at the start of the 18/19 season after Dick leads us to League One glory next season [emoji6]

3 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

That's Donald McCallum's loan at us up, and unfortunately for him it doesn't really look as if there's much of a future back at Dumbarton. McCallum made a dozen or so (if that) appearances from the bench, and never really showed anything. I would've liked to see him tried from the start but he never got a shot, whether it be in a front 2 or 3. He looked a carbon copy of Kane Hester, who we'd punted on loan to Montrose Roselea-small, weak, not particularly quick and not particularly technically gifted. A shame as when he signed I thought he could perfect to play off Steven Doris, but it wasn't to be. His effort when played couldn't be faulted and I'm glad he picked up a medal yesterday. Presume he is out of contract with Dumbarton?If he manages to sign for an SPFL club next season it looks like he'll be in the last chance saloon if he wants to have a successful senior career. Congratulations on staying up btw, hopefully we'll see you at the start of the 18/19 season after Dick leads us to League One glory next season emoji6.png

I'm sorry to hear that, but equally totally unsurprised. He had something a wee bit different when he first broke through with us which inflated his opinion in the eyes of many of our own fans (perhaps myself included), but his development was totally stunted by only playing a handful of games in three seasons.

He should've gone out on loan a few years ago, but now he's stuck in the situation of being 21 years old with only a six senior starts to his name - not great by anyone's reckoning. He's out of contract, and I suspect he'll be away.

Wherever he goes now he has to make sure he becomes a regular and gets 30+ games under his belt. If that means going to the wrong end of League 2, Juniors or Lowland League then so be it. Another season sitting on the bench somewhere would be totally pointless. 

I've got the fear with you back in League 1 now. A playoff reverse next season - with your 'keeper putting in the performance of his life - would be a fitting way for us to go down!

Everyone who has bid for a shirt so far for Play for the Sons should now have a response! If you don't please let me know. 

Excellent response so far btw, but there are still shirts available, please let anyone who may be interested know!

Edit - some names I've not seen yet btw, I will be hounding you! (S08, thought you were a keeper!?)

Edited by The Moonster

I'm sorry to hear that, but equally totally unsurprised. He had something a wee bit different when he first broke through with us which inflated his opinion in the eyes of many of our own fans (perhaps myself included), but his development was totally stunted by only playing a handful of games in three seasons.
He should've gone out on loan a few years ago, but now he's stuck in the situation of being 21 years old with only a six senior starts to his name - not great by anyone's reckoning. He's out of contract, and I suspect he'll be away.
Wherever he goes now he has to make sure he becomes a regular and gets 30+ games under his belt. If that means going to the wrong end of League 2, Juniors or Lowland League then so be it. Another season sitting on the bench somewhere would be totally pointless. 
I've got the fear with you back in League 1 now. A playoff reverse next season - with your 'keeper putting in the performance of his life - would be a fitting way for us to go down!

It wouldn't be unlike the holy goalie to put in an absolute blockbuster of a performance in a big game-and to think I'm lucky enough to have his gloves from Saturday. Fully expecting Ricky Gomes to complete a double promotion with the broath now (that's if Porto haven't made a move to re-sign him)
4f663cb2719081736ac4dcc18cf4c358.jpg

It wouldn't be unlike the holy goalie to put in an absolute blockbuster of a performance in a big game-and to think I'm lucky enough to have his gloves from Saturday. Fully expecting Ricky Gomes to complete a double promotion with the broath now (that's if Porto haven't made a move to re-sign him)
4f663cb2719081736ac4dcc18cf4c358.jpg

That Photoshop is wonderful. Worthy of our very own BBPF that.

Everyone who has bid for a shirt so far for Play for the Sons should now have a response! If you don't please let me know. 
Excellent response so far btw, but there are still shirts available, please let anyone who may be interested know!

Edit - some names I've not seen yet btw, I will be hounding you! (S08, thought you were a keeper!?)

S08 seems to be the best keyboard footballing expert around so let's see if he can walk the walk cos he certainly tries to talk the talk.

8 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Hop on, have a read, but don't dare disagree with me ;)

Only read about halfway through it. Decent analysis so far. One (I think there was 2 but can't remember the 2nd) thing I noticed was saying that Tom Walsh was on loan with Rangers. But I might have read it wrong too.

I'll update anything further ;)

S08 seems to be the best keyboard footballing expert around so let's see if he can walk the walk cos he certainly tries to talk the talk.

Square go right now.

I'm afraid the chances of me playing are extremely low for a number of reasons. I can assure you however that the last time I played 11s in September my performance was a perfect mixture of Alan Martin and Danny Rogers [emoji6]
Only read about halfway through it. Decent analysis so far. One (I think there was 2 but can't remember the 2nd) thing I noticed was saying that Tom Walsh was on loan with Rangers. But I might have read it wrong too.
I'll update anything further [emoji6]

Good spot!

Hop on, have a read, but don't dare disagree with me [emoji6]

Excellent read SO8 I'm not qualified in the slightest to pick up on grammatical errors so I'll tell you it's flawless! Lol

Good spot!

Square go eh!, think I have pushed better out the way to get into a fight
Is one of the reasons you won't be playing due to a lack of ability, really easy to come on here and criticise players throughout the seasons, so time for you to walk the walk or lose any respectability you have regarding your views/opinions on the beautiful game