Sons' sorrow

The OS is asking for anyone with special memories of Sons matches to send them in, to help our ST drive.

There are plenty of folk on here who like reminiscing about the past (oh, hi!) so I'd imagine a few folk will have stories to tell.

I would like to bagsy the 6-0 v Elgin in 2009.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3611

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Genuine question here, what do you see him as? I'm not really sure what sort of player he is, I don't think he has the physical attributes to be a deep CM (like Stanton), he's not a winger (like Stirling) and I don't think he's a #10 (like Froxy or Stirling).

He doesn't really waste possession, and he has a good eye for the spectacular, but I'm not sure what that makes him. Maybe a second striker?

I reckon he would be pretty decent alongside a Carswell or Hutton. Basically you could play him in front of one of them and I think it would work if we had 4 other players doing the more creative stuff moving forward. As you has admitted he is good at keeping possession. The problem is most of his passes go sideways and this year our wingers weren't as effective as other years.

Maybe that's to do with having only one player really in front of them when they received the ball a lot of the time. I think if we had 2 decent wingers and either 2 strikers or a striker with someone else off them then Handling could really do a job for us beside (or in front of) a defensive mid. I'd favour a little and large striking combo as it has worked well in the past - but we all know it's all down to the players we can sign up and that is Steve's job.

Genuine question here, what do you see him as? I'm not really sure what sort of player he is, I don't think he has the physical attributes to be a deep CM (like Stanton), he's not a winger (like Stirling) and I don't think he's a #10 (like Froxy or Stirling).
He doesn't really waste possession, and he has a good eye for the spectacular, but I'm not sure what that makes him. Maybe a second striker?

I still see him in the hole behind the striker. With a full pre-season under his belt hopefully his mobility will have improved a bit and I think could be quite effective a roaming into spaces and linking up the play with intelligent passes.

As much as I'm in the 'Handling is/was poor' camp, he could and most definitely should be, a totally different proposition in League One.

The players we've offered contracts to would form a very decent base of a side for that level, it's just complimenting that and adding more quality to it.

I still believe that even with the players we had this season and the ones we might retain, we can be attacking and nowhere near as defensive. It's got little to do with the personnel in my opinion, and all about the tactics and instruction, which is all Stevie's remit...

14 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

As much as I'm in the 'Handling is/was poor' camp, he could and most definitely should be, a totally different proposition in League One.

The players we've offered contracts to would form a very decent base of a side for that level, it's just complimenting that and adding more quality to it.

I still believe that even with the players we had this season and the ones we might retain, we can be attacking and nowhere near as defensive. It's got little to do with the personnel in my opinion, and all about the tactics and instruction, which is all Stevie's remit...

Or Durrant's, if Aitken's Army are to be believed.

Or Durrant's, if Aitken's Army are to be believed.

How true. I'm inclined to go with the standard thought that it's the manager's responsibility though. Given that it's him that gets the flak and him who falls on the sword accordingly when results are pish. The assistant usually goes too, but that's usually collateral damage.

It's the manager's responsibility no matter what 'Aitken's Army' says.

43 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I still see him in the hole behind the striker. With a full pre-season under his belt hopefully his mobility will have improved a bit and I think could be quite effective a roaming into spaces and linking up the play with intelligent passes.

He could be, so long as he doesn't cravenly hide when the going gets tough - as witnessed time after time last season.

7 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

Serious question for Sons fans. Why is there ridicule of your own supporters when they are clearly part of your footballing family and look to me to be loyal fans? Is there a tiered approach to being a football supporter these days.?

Where has anyone been ridiculed?

Serious question for Sons fans. Why is there ridicule of your own supporters when they are clearly part of your footballing family and look to me to be loyal fans? Is there a tiered approach to being a football supporter these days.?

Yes, they seem harmless but it does get annoying when other clubs fans have us down as tambourine weirdos because about 3 people rattle those objects that should be nowhere near a football match.

They are also very biased towards certain individuals at the club and have a creepy obsession towards a couple.

1 minute ago, cameron2000 said:

Yes, they seem harmless but it does get annoying when other clubs fans have us down as tambourine weirdos because about 3 people rattle those objects that should be nowhere near a football match.

They are also very biased towards certain individuals at the club and have a creepy obsession towards a couple.

The compulsion to wear Fancy Dress too.

Not forgetting the high, ear piercing screech when an opposition player touches the ball.

I think it was Celtic who started all that football family malarkey. I’ve got a big enough family thank you. Players, officials and fellow supporters are acquaintances and friends. When I hear all that #sonsfamily stuff it gives me the dry boak. I have nothing against Aitken's Army, they support the team in their own way and they’re all decent folk. I couldn’t treat every game like a carnival - I’m quite a happy guy but no that happy.

5 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Right. Seems a bit daft though to have a go at your own fans. 

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The OS is asking for anyone with special memories of Sons matches to send them in, to help our ST drive.

There are plenty of folk on here who like reminiscing about the past (oh, hi!) so I'd imagine a few folk will have stories to tell.

I would like to bagsy the 6-0 v Elgin in 2009.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3611

4-1 at home to Raith to stay up on the last day of the 2002/2003 season.

We went behind to them being allowed to retake a (missed) penalty.

A Beanie Hat-trick quickly remedied things 8)

The tambourines and Dave Benson Phillips Playdays esque behaviour at games is absolutely cringeworthy but they can do what they like and I wouldn't want to ridicule them for it. It's not really a big issue.

At the same time though their attitude is honking at times. They seem to think they are the best supporters on earth and people who don't attend every game and act like them are "gloryhunters". Very recently one of them was having a pop at people on Facebook for not attending every game and basically denouncing them as fans. That's wrong IMO, especially when you don't know people's circumstances.

The squeel of shite should also be mentioned. That needs dealt with because it really is a pain in the arse.