Sons' sorrow

I genuinely think Hutton is pretty decent. Underrated and much maligned by the fans.
He's the Colin Nish or Stevie Bonar-esque scapegoat of this era.
He really isn't. Nish got a hard time of it without a doubt but Hutton turning in one good game in every 20 doesn't make him underatted.

I'm always more than happy to give him credit when he has a good game but it really is few and far between. It's actually really frustrating because when he's good he tends to be very good. The cup final is prime example of this, he played a blinder that day and I don't think he had another good game until Duffy arrived.

I’m sorry but Hutton only gets a start every week because he played for a “big” team.

He really is not as good as certain people make him out to be.

He pulls out of tackles and loosing possession so much it’s unbelievable. He is the quickest to throw his arms up and complain to others for loosing the ball or making a poor pass.

I really don’t think he is very good player. But that’s just my personal opinion.

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

He really isn't. Nish got a hard time of it without a doubt but Hutton turning in one good game in every 20 doesn't make him underrated.

I'm always more than happy to give him credit when he has a good game but it really is few and far between. It's actually really frustrating because when he's good he tends to be very good. The cup final is prime example of this, he played a blinder that day and I don't think he had another good game until Duffy arrived.

Aye, I'd go along with this. The fact that we all remember the games where Hutton's played well tells you a fair whack about how poor he is for the most part. St Mirren away last year, Morton at home, the Cup final and East Fife in Duffy's first game he was superb. Dominating the midfield, pouncing on poor touches and spraying passes around. The rest of the time he's been between anonymous and very, very poor.

His use of the ball is usually careless, his constant attempted crossfielders seem to fly behind for goal-kicks all the time, he's slow, his tackling is lazy and he gets caught in possession an awful lot.

He's also not managed to form a partnership with anyone else he's played alongside: Carsy, Wilson, Mango, Allardice, Forbes, Spencer etc.

What I will say is that he doesn't hide, is always looking for the ball and has clearly played through the pain barrier for us this season. So credit to him for that. I also suspect he'll be our captain from now on, which says a lot about him as an individual. 

35 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

The Coyle effect, for those of us of a certain vintage.

8 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

What I will say is that he doesn't hide, is always looking for the ball

Particularly a Joe Coyle trait.

Christ, at Boghead I used to have the pleasure of usually standing near a guy* who gave Charlie Gibson dogs abuse week in, week out for being 'worse than useless'. 

People are strange. 

* He came from the Vale right enough, case closed. 

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Re Hutton : as much as I liked to proclaim him as the tactical genius with my tongue firmly in my cheek, Stevie Aitken knows more about football than I do.  Jim Duffy has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.

Both have used Hutton as a pretty much ever present, so he must have something that's not visible to us proles in the stands.

EDIT : that something may be sensational dirt on the two of them, who knows?

1 hour ago, FifeSons said:

I genuinely think Hutton is pretty decent. Underrated and much maligned by the fans.

I'd go for that. He isn't a world beater and he plays in one of the less glamourous roles in the team. His body language isn't great which makes people think he just isn't bothered but for different managers to rate him he must do something right in their eyes.

1 hour ago, RGD89 said:

I’m sorry but Hutton only gets a start every week because he played for a “big” team.

He really is not as good as certain people make him out to be.

He pulls out of tackles and loosing possession so much it’s unbelievable. He is the quickest to throw his arms up and complain to others for loosing the ball or making a poor pass.

I really don’t think he is very good player. But that’s just my personal opinion.

I don't think many (if any) of our fans have suggested he is an overly great player. It's just that more often than not he is the scapegoat following poor performances when he has only been as bad as others.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Christ, at Boghead I used to have the pleasure of usually standing near a guy* who gave Charlie Gibson dogs abuse week in, week out for being 'worse than useless'. 

People are strange. 

Oi!! Enough! I was brought up there and it does have its fair share of 'characters' but there's no need for that.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

People are strange. 

An old pal of mine watches Celtic and he said there was a guy a couple of rows down who sat in silence until the 62 minute mark when he then proceeded to go berserk for 5 mins solid. He then sat in silence for the remainder of the match. It didn't matter how they played, what the score was or anything - same behavior every match. 

I don't think many (if any) of our fans have suggested he is an overly great player. It's just that more often than not he is the scapegoat following poor performances when he has only been as bad as others.
I don't buy this. This season in particular there have been players taking much more criticism than Hutton - Adam, Dowie, Dyer and even Paton have probably taken more stick than him. You could probably add Calum Gallagher, Perry and Loy to that list as well. I certainly don't think he's been made a scapegoat for poor performances. Even last season most of the blame was directed towards the manager. A lot of fans highlighted the issue of the Hutton and Carswell partnership, which is still an issue IMO, but we are finding out this season that he doesn't seem to be able to form a good partnership with anyone he's deployed alongside.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that he's regularly criticised. If you regularly turn in honking performances and never get dropped it's to be expected. Since he's signed for us nothing has really worked for us in central midfield and the only constant in that central midfield has been Kyle Hutton.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't buy this. This season in particular there have been players taking much more criticism than Hutton - Adam, Dowie, Dyer and even Paton have probably taken more stick than him. You could probably add Calum Gallagher, Perry and Loy to that list as well. I certainly don't think he's been made a scapegoat for poor performances. Even last season most of the blame was directed towards the manager. A lot of fans highlighted the issue of the Hutton and Carswell partnership, which is still an issue IMO, but we are finding out this season that he doesn't seem to be able to form a good partnership with anyone he's deployed alongside.

I don't think it should come as a surprise that he's regularly criticised. If you regularly turn in honking performances and never get dropped it's to be expected. Since he's signed for us nothing has really worked for us in central midfield and the only constant in that central midfield has been Kyle Hutton.

It's quite simple. It's about opinions. I didn't think we were speaking exclusively about this season. Others have been bad and get criticism as they deserved. 

I don't buy the Hutton/Carswell combination doesn't work thing. In Duffy's first game in charge they both played alongside one another and we won 4-0. It is all about getting the other players around about them working and if I remember correctly Carswell was played further forward. Yeah - that wasn't the toughest test we have ever had but it worked.

An old pal of mine watches Celtic and he said there was a guy a couple of rows down who sat in silence until the 62 minute mark when he then proceeded to go berserk for 5 mins solid. He then sat in silence for the remainder of the match. It didn't matter how they played, what the score was or anything - same behavior every match. 

Guy who used to be a BB officer, shouts “mon now sons” at least 32 times during every game. I strangely find myself counting them [emoji849][emoji30]

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

People are strange. 

Think i remember him.At a QOS game , Gibson had not long signed, Charlie shot over after about 2 mins and the guy tore into him.'well done Gibson ya 50thousand pound eh shite'

I stood in another area after that...no doubt he was one of the infamous Boghead booboys.

As for the morn i think we will win..feeling optimistic and the next 2 thru the door will be so important

When was the last time we paid a transfer fee for a player? Charlie Gibson?

We paid money for Michael Moore, so he’d be my shout. Although I suppose Josh Todd might count if you classify compensation as a fee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dumbarton/7219054.stm

6 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

craig ladyboy lynes think.8 grand from bangkok fc sorry east fife

5 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

We paid money for Michael Moore, so he’d be my shout. Although I suppose Josh Todd might count if you classify compensation as a fee.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/dumbarton/7219054.stm

What were we thinking?