Sons' sorrow

4 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Enjoyed that. Played well and 2 lovely goals. Couldn't tell if Caley goal crossed the line. Hopefully Carlo and Hilton only taken off as precautions. Thought 98 minutes seemed a bit much. Could see we were knackered from 75 onwards. Who are the 2 new guys on mics? What's happened to Chris and Fraser?

I've retired and Chris has signed for Stenhousemuir. 

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

The new guys were alright, but when you're used to driving a Mercedes S Class, getting a Vauxhall Nova is a bit of a letdown.

f**k up or I wont give you first option on my Robin Reliant.

Only once before have we beaten a team two divisions higher than us. That was when we beat Ayr United on penalties after a 0-0 draw in 2000. So this was the first time we've done it in 90 minutes (or so.)

Aside from all this lovely chat about me, I thought we were excellent tonight. We played some very impressive football when the time was right, we defended for our lives when the time was right, and we rode our luck. As you have to do when you're playing a team two leagues above. But we merited the win, and there were good performances all over the park.

The fact we lost, arguably, our best player in Carlo Pignatiello early on. And then lost his replacement Jinky Hilton, another player who will be important for us this year, just adds to how impressive it was. The players were dead on their feet by the end, a few probably played longer than they should've. But they should all be delighted and proud of their efforts.

This cup is glorified pre-season. So I'm not getting carried away. But I've watched us in every game so far. In each game we're getting better, and each game I've enjoyed the style of football we're trying to play. Considering how radically different it is to last season, that's good going.

The first goal was an absolutely excellent finish from Ryan Wallace. The sort of goal I've wanted to see him score for us for years after doing it against us countless times. The passing in the build-up was nice, the defending from Wallace Duffy was horrific. The finish was quality.

The second goal was sublime stuff. A bit of slick passing, a backheel from Ross MacLean, the perfect delivery from Div Wilson and big Tony Wallace bodying his way in at the back post to nod home. It had a bit of everything. Hopefully there will be highlights, because I'm looking forward to seeing it back.

I really enjoyed the way we played down the right with Lynas and Carlo early on. It was so aggressive. And that's a partnership I'm hoping to see a fair bit more of.

Ross MacLean looks a player transformed. In fact, the whole team does. It's like when a new manager comes in and lifts the whole place, we're playing with a real intensity and style. And that says to me that the players are well suited to this shape.

Right across the park guys were brave on the ball and didn't mind making a risky pass. Aye it'll catch us out at times, but it's excellent to watch when it works. And fair play to everyone for buying in.

For all the pretty football though, Harry Broun was my Man of the Match. He looks so assured for a keeper who is still just 19. He made a couple of big saves when it mattered, his kicking was excellent and he dealt well with almost everything that came his way. I like the way he carries himself too. He looks confident. He looks relaxed. And he gives me confidence through that. Especially in the way he patrols his area.

It's no exaggeration to say that he's probably the second best permanent goalkeeper we've had at the club since our current owner...And he's just unfortunate that the best is the guy ahead of him. If Brett's form dips though then I'd be very happy with Harry nabbing that No.1 shirt from him. And I'd back him to keep it for a wee while.

All of that. And Kalvin Orsi, Blair Malcolm, Callum Wilson and (hopefully, assuming QOS aren't back in for him) Finlay Gray still to come back. It gives me the fear how happy I'm feeling with us tonight...!

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I hope the injuries weren't bad ones, if they are we're starting the season in a bit of a knick. Tremendous effort from the players last night though and I really do enjoy watching this high pressing aggressive style. 

Faz seemed pretty positive about them. They were both precautionary and he's hopeful they'll both be able to play at the weekend. Jinky had apparently been ill before the game and Faz hadn't wanted to risk him, but didn't really have another option. Then he felt his groin tighten up a wee bit.

I actually think that's (another) flaw with the League Cup groups. To go from friendlies to fully competitive games against full-time sides twice in four days within the space of about a fortnight is too much too soon imo. It'll be the same reason ICT lost a player to injury too. Players' bodies just aren't fully prepared at this stage.

5 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Faz seemed pretty positive about them. They were both precautionary and he's hopeful they'll both be able to play at the weekend. Jinky had apparently been ill before the game and Faz hadn't wanted to risk him, but didn't really have another option. Then he felt his groin tighten up a wee bit.

I actually think that's (another) flaw with the League Cup groups. To go from friendlies to fully competitive games against full-time sides twice in four days within the space of about a fortnight is too much too soon imo. It'll be the same reason ICT lost a player to injury too. Players' bodies just aren't fully prepared at this stage.

Really need trialists in this cup. We could've drafted in a couple of ringers and let guys struggling sit out rather than playing through illness for a pointless cup game in fucking July.

was a great game, plus points all over team. Harry was strong and assured in goal but the wood work certainly was  on our side. And for MOM l thought lynas edged it. Saved us a few times with goal line clearances and was very sold in defence and attacking on the wing. 

I’ve been lucky enough to attend the last two fixtures. I thought we performed well in both games, however we actually possibly played better against Airdrie minus taking chances. The overall shape isn’t hugely different to last season in possession. It’s still a 4-3-3 but the difference is obvious in terms of the approach to trying to build up more from the back. I imagine we will revert more to a direct during the season but some playing through the lines and trying to exploit spaces is very encouraging.

The greater difference to last season is out of possession. The press looks very encouraging indeed and I suspect it’s something Farrell has been studying carefully. The striker presses the Centre back in possession. The winger on the side of the spare centre back presses him. This requires the full back on this side to back-up the press on the full back otherwise the full back would be total free to drive forward if the ball was clipped over to him. Additionally the whole defence effectively have to shift 1 place to that full backs side. This is a risky approach (full back need to be aggressive and win the duels) but executed well I’m in no doubt it’s the best way to dominate teams at our level (and all levels tbh). It also requires a particularly mobile striker to initiate the press (good luck trying this with Russell MacLean) - I quite like the idea of Ruth running his arse off for 60 mins and then giving R Wallace half an hour which he should be fresh enough to work hard for. We certainly appear to built a squad specifically suited to run hard and pressing.

Anyway on personnel from a few observations: -

The centre back partnership is particularly encouraging. Durnan is clearly the better of the two. I think he’ll be the best centre back in league 2. Crighton is probably slightly worse than Buchanan but I’m sure Durnan is better.

Wylde actually played pretty well a left back last night. I don’t mind him playing there as backup to Young (who is impressive but raw). Please Farrell, no more Wylde on the left wing😭.

Lynas is so solid out of possession and well suited to the high pressing and aggressive tactics. He probably looks the most uncomfortable in tight spaces, in possession though. I presume once Orsi is back we win see Pignateillo at right back, however I reckon he will stand out in league 2 anywhere across midfield also - a good option to have.

Blair and Wilson similar to last season. Have been fairly impressive without being amazing. Happy to have both. Really hoping to see Findlay Gray back soon. I think he’s perfectly suited to high pressing. James Hilton looks technically solid and a great ball carrier. I though he was a good signing but I don’t remember any particular praise from Stranraer fans when we signed him?

Ross MacLean looks sharp and a very useful league 2 player. Should have had a goal on Saturday. Wallace looks sharp too but I just think he’ll be better used off the bench because he can’t do all the running for long periods. I really like Ruth’s movement and speed. He looks a confidence-based player in front of goal. I reckon for parts of the season he might be a player targeted for some unwarranted criticism/ under-appreciated.

Tony Wallace looks a little less sharp than the rest imo. Glad he got a goal though. Another useful option to have.

Luca Vata is obviously still very young and I noticed we did finally lose all control last night when came on but I do see progress from when he made his debut. It’s just nice to see a promising young player around the first team and hope he can play for the 20s plenty and progress over the next couple of years. No Rush.

In terms of additions. We need a third centre back. That’s the only essential area, but if we have any budget left another wide left option would be nice.

I’m very happy with the squad (strongest in the league) we have and am looking forward to seeing how the season pans out having accepted that Farrell will be here.