Sons' sorrow

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Talking about the others tbh, great one touch stuff and some good finishes. 

The 4th is a topper for me. The wee touch to knock it past the defender before a composed finish. Obviously R Wallace for the 2nd is fairly picked out too.

We really need to shore up our defence though because we can be losing that many soft and preventable goals. I know most of the teams in our league wouldn't have hit as many past us but if you keep gifting goals/chances away the way we have at times this season, then you'll struggle to win league titles. Bringing Durnan back in is big for us. We need a settled back 4 who are hard to break down. No disrespect to Lynas, but he isn't a CB. He's turned in some good performances covering there, but he clearly isn't in his natural position and I always think he's prone to too many silly errors/lapses in concentration. Plays with real heart and desire but occasionally looks like he lacks a bit in quality.

4 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

Bringing Durnan back in is big for us. We need a settled back 4 who are hard to break down. No disrespect to Lynas, but he isn't a CB. He's turned in some good performances covering there, but he clearly isn't in his natural position and I always think he's prone to too many silly errors/lapses in concentration. Plays with real heart and desire but occasionally looks like he lacks a bit in quality.

^^^ this

21 hours ago, Silverton End said:

If we had gone out today we'd have got about £9.5k, next round exit is nearly £20k, so aye let's get a decent sized side away & if lucky tv £££ (unlikely but you never know)

Just remember that the “Exit Fee” payout occurs AFTER the team exits, so those suggesting a good run for January window money must be referring to Jan 2025. Nowhere does it say when the TV fee is paid out, but the phrasing suggests payment would be when televised.
IMG_0669.thumb.jpeg.641f49dc47d5199bb201e1a3664c741c.jpeg

7 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Faz said that there is money available from Gregg Wylde leaving; we used it to offer Mikey Doyle a deal, but he went to Cove instead. So I'd be fairly confident we'll add at least one defender to the squad in January.

The cup run will depend what we've budgeted for. It would be sensible to base our budget on exiting at the first hurdle (see Darvel for evidence of not doing that...), assuming we've done that then this will be a very welcome boost to the budget. A 10k difference in the money we get for being eliminated alone after getting through yesterday could be huge for us. £500 a week goes a long way at this level.

A winnable game picked for TV would probably be the ideal outcome. But I don't really know what that could be? Maybe a struggling Premiership side at home.

Doyle has been outstanding for us since joining. Conceded 1 in the 6 games he's played. Looks incredibly fit, so vocal and knows his right back position very well. I'm hoping we can tie him down beyond the end of the year.

What a game it must have been at Galabank yesterday. Nice win and good luck with the draw tonight and getting a defender in the window 

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

"Offside! He was a mile offside!" in the borders tory English accent at 2 mins :lol:

Couldn’t be more onside.

I was going to bring that up,,,it makes me even happier we turfed them out the cup.That voice just grates with me in a big way.

7 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Tbh if getting a big payday at this stage of the season meant strengthening the squad in January and winning the league I’m taking the dough every day of the week. I couldn’t really give a f**k about a competition we have zero chance of winning. 

That’s a pretty stupid attitude to have. In any competition you want to do the best you can. We had no chance of winning the Championship when we were in it but I’d suggest you might have been bothered about results. The worst draw we could get would be away to either of Celtic or rangers. Unless you’re an accountant 

42 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

That’s a pretty stupid attitude to have. In any competition you want to do the best you can. We had no chance of winning the Championship when we were in it but I’d suggest you might have been bothered about results. The worst draw we could get would be away to either of Celtic or rangers. Unless you’re an accountant 

Aye, how stupid of me, wanting more money to get out of this hell hole of a league rather than playing an extra couple of cup games. I don’t go to away games these days so I don’t care about some enjoyable away day either, I’d rather the money every single day of the week. 

Comparing the Championship to the Scottish cup is stupid and quite clearly you know what I mean.