Sons' sorrow

Bucky got it stinking from our fans when he turned in a horror show at Ochilview in August. I've absolutely no issue with him giving a bit back today. It's a two way thing, and if we're going to give it out then we have to be big enough to take it back.

14 minutes ago, OKsons2020 said:

Today's game.......

Gonna be the first to throw myself amongst the wolves .....need a goal scorer ASAP.   Had we taken our chances in the first half we would have run away with tht game   . However life's not so simple. 

Not going to finish this on a negative post so here goes my bit.... 

buchanan was very disrespectful towards his ,not just previous club ,but club he captained at .  Absolute shitehousary from him. 

Captain silent . Couldn't rally a hard on in a brothel  when he was with us . Today he was shouting fir everything, cards fouls and encouragement for his mediocre team then his reaction when they scored.    Just shows for some it's nothing but a pay packet ... 

Finally ......

Our boys kept it going until the end and showed team spirit until the final whistle. Nothings won in December and we've will a long way to go.   Time to get on those long journeys around the country and rally behind the team being the 12th man ....

Salty and yummy.

1_SHOWBIZ-Typecasting-3.thumb.jpg.58988fb8a30a4f2c101704f25f96b8eb.jpg

9 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Bucky got it stinking from our fans when he turned in a horror show at Ochilview in August. I've absolutely no issue with him giving a bit back today. It's a two way thing, and if we're going to give it out then we have to be big enough to take it back.

Absolutely this. Was all a good laugh though when Dumbarton won the game 4-2 at Ochilview. Now the tables have turned we have babies crying because he is, rightfully, getting it right round them. Those are the absolute worst type of football fan.

Even on the stream today I heard two or three derogatory shouts to Bucky from the home support which I would imagine is only a snippet of what was received.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Forfar away, Clyde at home & then Stranraer away are our fixtures until the end of this year.

I'd like to think we'll win those to keep us in the hunt for the title, but this season has the same feeling as last season.

Hope I am wrong 

Was it not about this time last year that Faz got his contract extension? 🤔🤦‍♂️

18 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Good lord, don't tempt fate he gets another until 202*.........insert number*

It was January that the extension was announced. Could just take inspiration from Pardew-era Newcastle and go for an 8 year deal?

32 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Forfar away, Clyde at home & then Stranraer away are our fixtures until the end of this year.

I'd like to think we'll win those to keep us in the hunt for the title, but this season has the same feeling as last season.

Hope I am wrong 

Station & Stair Park are two particularly unhappy hunting grounds for your average travelled Sons fan. I don't think I've seen us win in either despite various jaunts up (or down) to both. 

Could do without them both falling so soon after this latest blow. 

2 hours ago, OKsons2020 said:

Today's game.......

Gonna be the first to throw myself amongst the wolves .....need a goal scorer ASAP.   Had we taken our chances in the first half we would have run away with tht game   . However life's not so simple. 

Not going to finish this on a negative post so here goes my bit.... 

buchanan was very disrespectful towards his ,not just previous club ,but club he captained at .  Absolute shitehousary from him. 

Captain silent . Couldn't rally a hard on in a brothel  when he was with us . Today he was shouting fir everything, cards fouls and encouragement for his mediocre team then his reaction when they scored.    Just shows for some it's nothing but a pay packet ... 

Finally ......

Our boys kept it going until the end and showed team spirit until the final whistle. Nothings won in December and we've will a long way to go.   Time to get on those long journeys around the country and rally behind the team being the 12th man ....

😂 

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

Station & Stair Park are two particularly unhappy hunting grounds for your average travelled Sons fan. I don't think I've seen us win in either despite various jaunts up (or down) to both. 

Yeah, I don’t fancy us at either of those. Forfar were a real bogey team for us last season, I wouldn’t be picking us to win.

7 hours ago, George Parr said:

I've never seen us win at Station Park but was lucky to witness a victory at Stair Park last season.

Annoyed with yesterday's result. It was a fortunate deflection for the game winner, but probably showed the difference in the 2 teams quite well. They gamble with an effort through traffic and get a lucky deflection: we fanny about on the edge of the box trying to create a "better" chance. Yesterday's conditions should have seen us throw absolutely everything at the Stenny keeper. Odd bounce. Spills a wet ball. Lucky deflection. That was the difference.

Wallace did a power of work, but had to keep dropping back to do so. It left Ruth quite isolated at times. I thought we had some very good spells in the first half, but Ruth was toiling when we subbed him and hopefully he hasn't picked up a knock. He was starting to put in some really good performances. Same with Gray - I thought the tackle on him was reckless and hopefully it was just a dead leg.

We can't afford to drop points against the likes of Stenny at home. The absolute worst we should have been taking from that was a draw.  It's hard to be too critical of Stenny's winner because it was a lucky deflection, but they gambled with a shot from distance and we didn't. Yesterday was a big game and its another one we've not got a result in. That has to be a worry.

7 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Annoyed with yesterday's result. It was a fortunate deflection for the game winner, but probably showed the difference in the 2 teams quite well. They gamble with an effort through traffic and get a lucky deflection: we fanny about on the edge of the box trying to create a "better" chance. Yesterday's conditions should have seen us throw absolutely everything at the Stenny keeper. Odd bounce. Spills a wet ball. Lucky deflection. That was the difference.

Wallace did a power of work, but had to keep dropping back to do so. It left Ruth quite isolated at times. I thought we had some very good spells in the first half, but Ruth was toiling when we subbed him and hopefully he hasn't picked up a knock. He was starting to put in some really good performances. Same with Gray - I thought the tackle on him was reckless and hopefully it was just a dead leg.

We can't afford to drop points against the likes of Stenny at home. The absolute worst we should have been taking from that was a draw.  It's hard to be too critical of Stenny's winner because it was a lucky deflection, but they gambled with a shot from distance and we didn't. Yesterday was a big game and its another one we've not got a result in. That has to be a worry.

Sometimes you just have to face facts.  We've been decent so far, but do we look like title winners ?  Well, as I've already posted, four points from a possible fifteen against the teams around us would suggest no.  And now we have folk fearing away games at Forfar and Stranraer.

Now let's look at the claim that we have the strongest squad.  Sure we have a very decent first eleven, but we really need it on the park for 90 minutes.  Outwith that I'm not so sure.  We need to hope that Finlay Gray's injury isn't serious as he is the energetic motor of the team, and it's an unfortunate fact that we have some non-scoring strikers.  And when was the last time any of the double or triple substitutions notably altered a game ?  Not yesterday, that's for sure.

Away from yesterday's action I was very disappointed in the attendance in the home end for such an important fixture.  And what happened to the ultras, they were posted missing en masse ?  I know it's near Xmas and the weather was shit, but maybe folk are already getting a feeling of deja vu.  And who could blame them ?

Agree re the poor attendance. Sub-500, despite the mitigating factors, is really poor. Does feel like our attendances have been on the wane over the last 7-8 years. Covid probably didn’t help, when the habit of not going became baked in. I’ll assume there are lots of reasons for the drop off but the Rock being such a dreary place now really doesn’t help.

It's almost as if the Sons loyal could see yesterdays game far enough and didn't bother paying the guts of 20 quid to watch us fall further behind our goal in the pishing rain. 

A criminal owner, a shit chairman, a shit manager, a shit groundsman. But we're lucky to have Faz and should just get behind the boys and maybe that will turn the c**t into a manager...

I can understand the poor attendance yesterday to some extent. We're well into Christmas night out territory.  The weather were poor and a lot of fans may have expected the game to be called off. Those circumstances combined and I'm not that surprised that folk stayed away. There's still frustration though. it was a big game against league leading Stenny and we were going into the game on the back of some good results.

But the bigger worry is that this wasn't a poor crowd in isolation. Our crowds this season have been worryingly low. Go back to when we won this division and look at our crowds. We were drawing more fans that season than we are now. We've seen continuous decline in fan numbers. Lockdown was a significant issue and I suspect a number of fans simply haven't come back after 2 years of disruption. Folk find other ways to spend their saturday and encouraging them back to games is difficult. There's also the Farrell factor. Despite the fact that we've been doing pretty well this season, we've had a few really poor results and it took time for us to show anything like decent performances. For a fanbase that has already seen Farrell relegate us and then flop in the promotion play-offs, its another hard job to convince folk that he's worth sticking with and that this season will be better. 

Thats not a defence of Stevie Farrell. A lot of the criticism he gets is well deserved. I think he's been lucky when things clicked - early in the season we were forced to go to a back 3 and it seemed to work. Then we were forced to change to a back 4 with Carlo and Orsi on the right and again it seemed to work. Neither of those felt like conscious choices by the manager. When it isnt working then its rare that he makes game changing substitutions because our squad lacks that kind of depth and variety. Farrell can sometimes make some ill judged comments in interviews that have a tendency to irritate fans. But equally it would be wrong not to acknowledge that we've played some good stuff at times this season. Stevie Farrell deserves criticism when it isnt working and its only fair that he gets a share of the praise when it is.

Whatever the reasons are for our low attendances, we need to get more people through the turnstiles. Our next home game is Dec 23rd and it'll either be a bumper crowd or a sparse one. Games close to Christmas are odd and whilst some fans want to escape the madness of the days before Christmas with an afternoon at the football, others will think that there's too much left to do and will give the game a miss. I'd like to see the club try to generate a bit of buzz for the game and there's probably a fair amount that could be done to make it a decent atmosphere. But even if we were able to do something to get folk in for the 23rd, we need to find a way to keep them coming back. We need to find a way of getting the home side closer to 600 - 700. God knows how we do it, but we really need to. 

Edited by BallochSonsFan

30 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

It's almost as if the Sons loyal could see yesterdays game far enough and didn't bother paying the guts of 20 quid to watch us fall further behind our goal in the pishing rain. 

A criminal owner, a shit chairman, a shit manager, a shit groundsman. But we're lucky to have Faz and should just get behind the boys and maybe that will turn the c**t into a manager...

Normally when the public starts to walk away it provokes some sort of response.  Expect an Email about Christmas parties.  The club is in an awful place.

It's clear we've regressed this season, this time last year we were top with a points lead to blow.

This season we are sitting 3rd, 8 points off top spot.

Wonder how Farrell will spin that, he usually talks about assessing our season so far, around Christmas time.