Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Popped onto the Edinburgh City thread for a wee look after their finance troubles became clear yesterday, and saw this about a certain Rusty McLean...

I find his drop off absolutely staggering since the end of the 2021-22 season. He was always a bit of an enigma, and he's never really been consistent, but his goal record speaks for itself. And he had some terrific games against us for Montrose and Peterhead.

When he signed for us in January (aye, it was January of this year, seems a lifetime ago) we were getting a 24-year-old forward who had already scored more than 50 senior goals in just over 150 senior games. That's a terrific pedigree. Even now he has 42 goals in 89 SPFL starts. That's a record few players we've had recently can get near. I genuinely believed he would be the missing link in our team and would fire us to promotion when we brought him in. From what I saw of him at Montrose and Peterhead he was the type of forward we'd been crying out for, for years.

Yet he only ever looked good for about 20 minutes in a Sons shirt. And that seems to have continued in the capital.

I don't know if it's the injury, a loss of confidence, a loss of appetite for the game or what. But I can't get my head around how quickly he's gone from handy League One goalscorer in a playoff chasing Montrose team (and very capable Peterhead team with Brett Long, Scott Brown et al) to a complete jobber who has barely had an impact on a match in two years.

Rusty always struck me as a guy who was going through the motions. Clearly been a good player at one point. Still technically very good. Unfortunately the passion for the game and the willingness to work was long gone. He could have been absolutely lethal in the lower leagues. Very technical. Good with the ball at his feet. More than just a target man to lump the ball forward to. But the application just wasn't there.

He'd be as well giving up. He looks like he'd rather be anywhere other than a football park.

2 hours ago, microdave said:

I spoke to him very briefly at the poty do and he was very pessimistic about our play off chances. Obviously he was spot on but if you go into them thinking you've no chance then you probably don't. 

What a big dumplin’. Even if you were pessimistic you’d at least pretend to be optimistic when you are speaking to a supporter!

14 hours ago, microdave said:

I spoke to him very briefly at the poty do and he was very pessimistic about our play off chances. Obviously he was spot on but if you go into them thinking you've no chance then you probably don't. 

And it's worth remembering we beat Annan 3 times last season and easily brushed aside Clyde in the Scottish. 

14 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Rusty always struck me as a guy who was going through the motions. Clearly been a good player at one point. Still technically very good. Unfortunately the passion for the game and the willingness to work was long gone. He could have been absolutely lethal in the lower leagues. Very technical. Good with the ball at his feet. More than just a target man to lump the ball forward to. But the application just wasn't there.

He'd be as well giving up. He looks like he'd rather be anywhere other than a football park.

He's not even a target man. He's useless as an aerial target man type striker. Very much a ball to feet type, who just so happens to be tall.

He was useless for us and completely disinterested, except for one spell in one game as Jan V pointed out. He'll probably drop down to the Lowland or WOSL soon enough. Rusty McLean i mean, not Jan.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

He's not even a target man. He's useless as an aerial target man type striker. Very much a ball to feet type, who just so happens to be tall.

He was useless for us and completely disinterested, except for one spell in one game as Jan V pointed out. He'll probably drop down to the Lowland or WOSL soon enough. Rusty McLean i mean, not Jan.

If some free-spending village team with about 16 fans want me to come and write about them for big bucks then I'll be off like a shot :lol:

19 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Popped onto the Edinburgh City thread for a wee look after their finance troubles became clear yesterday, and saw this about a certain Rusty McLean...

I find his drop off absolutely staggering since the end of the 2021-22 season. He was always a bit of an enigma, and he's never really been consistent, but his goal record speaks for itself. And he had some terrific games against us for Montrose and Peterhead.

When he signed for us in January (aye, it was January of this year, seems a lifetime ago) we were getting a 24-year-old forward who had already scored more than 50 senior goals in just over 150 senior games. That's a terrific pedigree. Even now he has 42 goals in 89 SPFL starts. That's a record few players we've had recently can get near. I genuinely believed he would be the missing link in our team and would fire us to promotion when we brought him in. From what I saw of him at Montrose and Peterhead he was the type of forward we'd been crying out for, for years.

Yet he only ever looked good for about 20 minutes in a Sons shirt. And that seems to have continued in the capital.

I don't know if it's the injury, a loss of confidence, a loss of appetite for the game or what. But I can't get my head around how quickly he's gone from handy League One goalscorer in a playoff chasing Montrose team (and very capable Peterhead team with Brett Long, Scott Brown et al) to a complete jobber who has barely had an impact on a match in two years.

He was never good for Peterhead.  Scored a few but underachieved massively.  Goes down like a sack of tatties as well.

43 minutes ago, the snudge said:

Whatever happened to that investor type guy?

What investor type guy?

If it's Paul McPherson then he's part of Cognitive and also on the club board. He almost certainly jumped in with 2 feet by posting on here before properly settling in to his position with the club, but hopefully a bit of time spent getting to know the issues at Dumbarton will see him engage in the future from a more settled and better informed position.

If he can find a bit of that early enthusiasm for engagement and go with it in the future then hopefully we'll see the club engage more with fans and with far better outcomes.

2 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

What investor type guy?

If it's Paul McPherson then he's part of Cognitive and also on the club board. He almost certainly jumped in with 2 feet by posting on here before properly settling in to his position with the club, but hopefully a bit of time spent getting to know the issues at Dumbarton will see him engage in the future from a more settled and better informed position.

If he can find a bit of that early enthusiasm for engagement and go with it in the future then hopefully we'll see the club engage more with fans and with far better outcomes.

Yesterday is pretty much 4 months to the day since @Paul Mc arrived into this thread, accompanied by a fanfare of his own making.

How much longer than 4 full months do you think it will take him to be aware of the issues?

My hot take is that it took him about 4 days to become enlightened, thus the fact that he has decided to STFU and hasn't been seen or heard again. 

33 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Yesterday is pretty much 4 months to the day since @Paul Mc arrived into this thread, accompanied by a fanfare of his own making.

How much longer than 4 full months do you think it will take him to be aware of the issues?

My hot take is that it took him about 4 days to become enlightened, thus the fact that he has decided to STFU and hasn't been seen or heard again. 

The funny thing being his last post on here was him saying he'd like a meeting with fans and didn't feel he needed to silence himself before that took place...

3 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

What investor type guy?

Sorry, I admire your optimism but as a few of us feared when he 1st jumped on here promising the world, he is showing himself to be yet another charlatan loooking to make a pretty penny from DFC. He’s had ample time to look at the situation and start making good his promises, or at least communicate a plan of action. The silence is deafening. That is the view I will continue to hold until he pulls his finger out and proves us wrong.

PnB was not the correct forum for a club director to be trying to engage with fans. 10/10 for early enthusiasm, but it was the wrong forum and he was perhaps too eager and a little naïve if he thought that it was the right place for proper fan engagement. 

I'd hope that he's planning for something more appropriate in the near future. Fan engagement is an area where our club can and should be doing far better, but it's got to be done properly. If he's keen to speak with fans then a better opportunity would probably present itself on a match day in the supporters bar.

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

Sorry, I admire your optimism but as a few of us feared when he 1st jumped on here promising the world, he is showing himself to be yet another charlatan loooking to make a pretty penny from DFC. He’s had ample time to look at the situation and start making good his promises, or at least communicate a plan of action. The silence is deafening. That is the view I will continue to hold until he pulls his finger out and proves us wrong.

I'm not being optimistic. I criticised him at the time for being too eager to appear on PnB. Wrong time, wrong forum as far as I was concerned.

But several months down the line there's now a clear opportunity for better communication. 

Today's game.......

Gonna be the first to throw myself amongst the wolves .....need a goal scorer ASAP.   Had we taken our chances in the first half we would have run away with tht game   . However life's not so simple. 

Not going to finish this on a negative post so here goes my bit.... 

buchanan was very disrespectful towards his ,not just previous club ,but club he captained at .  Absolute shitehousary from him. 

Captain silent . Couldn't rally a hard on in a brothel  when he was with us . Today he was shouting fir everything, cards fouls and encouragement for his mediocre team then his reaction when they scored.    Just shows for some it's nothing but a pay packet ... 

Finally ......

Our boys kept it going until the end and showed team spirit until the final whistle. Nothings won in December and we've will a long way to go.   Time to get on those long journeys around the country and rally behind the team being the 12th man ....