Sons' sorrow

I’m with BBPF on this one. Not a chance we should be moving the cup tie to try and accommodate them. The money will look after itself but in my opinion we’ve more chance of getting it in TV at the Rock than if we were to love it to a meh ground like Firhill. Get the Scottish Cup next to the castle. Romance of the cup and all that.

We should be looking to maximise our chances of progressing first, however slim that may it’s a higher percentage when their sand dancers turn up on our coo field.

If it also means we can restrict the number of Rangers fans attending then that’s even better. 

However the club should absolutely be managing ticket sales correctly to try as best they can to keep it segregated. A good start would be to sell  to season ticket holders and/or those with SonsTrust membership as a start, and give them the option to buy an extra one or two before opening it up to a public sale.

30 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

I’m with BBPF on this one. Not a chance we should be moving the cup tie to try and accommodate them. The money will look after itself but in my opinion we’ve more chance of getting it in TV at the Rock than if we were to love it to a meh ground like Firhill. Get the Scottish Cup next to the castle. Romance of the cup and all that.

We should be looking to maximise our chances of progressing first, however slim that may it’s a higher percentage when their sand dancers turn up on our coo field.

If it also means we can restrict the number of Rangers fans attending then that’s even better. 

However the club should absolutely be managing ticket sales correctly to try as best they can to keep it segregated. A good start would be to sell  to season ticket holders and/or those with SonsTrust membership as a start, and give them the option to buy an extra one or two before opening it up to a public sale.

Your statement about the club managing the tickets is spot-on, and as early as this coming Saturday they should be positioning themselves to have tickets available for home supporters, on a day when a better than normal attendance could be expected.  Added to which Rangers are also at home and that would likely restrict their fans ability to appear seeking tickets at The Rock.

It would be nice to think that Sons fans could watch from the 'home' end untroubled by visiting fans in their midst, and with organisation and commitment that could happen.

We seem to manage it with Stenny, Stirling, Falkirk, etc ., and with a bit of common sense allied to respecting our own support over simply seeking to make money by any means it can happen in January too.

Does anyone genuinely believe the club can handle the ticket sales properly? They’ve shown themselves to be totally incompetent time and time again. This is even making the assumption that they’ll care about segregation. I fully expect that all they’ll care about is selling every seat possible, regardless of who takes it.

I’ll be there, but no doubt it’ll be an afternoon spent surrounded by the bigots again.

Edited by FifeSons

47 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Does anyone genuinely believe the club can handle the ticket sales properly? They’ve shown themselves to be totally incompetent time and time again. This is even making the assumption that they’ll care about segregation. I fully expect that all they’ll care about is selling every seat possible, regardless of who takes it.

I’ll be there, but no doubt it’ll be an afternoon spent surrounded by the bigots again.

No.  But the problem is that the folk responsible for the tickets will be sitting in the middle of the stand well away from the shit that accompanys these games.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Your statement about the club managing the tickets is spot-on, and as early as this coming Saturday they should be positioning themselves to have tickets available for home supporters, on a day when a better than normal attendance could be expected.  Added to which Rangers are also at home and that would likely restrict their fans ability to appear seeking tickets at The Rock.

It would be nice to think that Sons fans could watch from the 'home' end untroubled by visiting fans in their midst, and with organisation and commitment that could happen.

We seem to manage it with Stenny, Stirling, Falkirk, etc ., and with a bit of common sense allied to respecting our own support over simply seeking to make money by any means it can happen in January too.

To be fair, we manage with these clubs as they generally aren’t all ticket affairs and there isn’t an abundance of these fans that stay in Dumbarton, so it’s a bit of an effort for them to trek through here just to buy a ticket in our end when in reality they can probably get one in the away end comfortably. With Rangers there’s a large majority of fans who live locally and will just rock up to the stadium to pick up a ticket for the home end. The club are on a hiding to nothing, they will do their best but unfortunately some rangers fans will no doubt be in the home end. I would personally limit it to season ticket holders plus 3 or so and if we have a few empty seats in the home end so be it.

I'd like to see us restrict home ticket sales to in person at the club. Could even put a requirement to show evidence of attending a recent previous home game - season ticket or recent payg match ticket purchase - as a requirement for buying a home end cup ticket.

Edited by BallochSonsFan

11 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

I'd like to see us restrict home ticket sales to in person at the club. Could even put a requirement to show evidence of attending a recent previous home game - season ticket or recent payg match ticket purchase - as a requirement for buying a home end cup ticket.

I'm not sure I agree with previous attendance/buying in person as a stipulation, there are genuine Sons fans (like FifeSons for example) who attend the odd game and generally stay/work away but might fancy making the effort for this game. I'd say the majority of our support are season ticket holders and Trust members, if you've got one if those you should have first dibs on a match ticket. Anything excess can go to public sale and if any mutants want a ticket then at least all Sons fans have had the offer first.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

I'm not sure I agree with previous attendance/buying in person as a stipulation, there are genuine Sons fans (like FifeSons for example) who attend the odd game and generally stay/work away but might fancy making the effort for this game. I'd say the majority of our support are season ticket holders and Trust members, if you've got one if those you should have first dibs on a match ticket. Anything excess can go to public sale and if any mutants want a ticket then at least all Sons fans have had the offer first.

I think you’d be questioning how much a Dumbarton fan someone is if they’ve not been to a game all season but suddenly want to attend this one. I agree with the Season ticket holders and evidence of a previous ticket only. I personally have been to every home game in the league this season but presumably I’m likely to get shafted for this game despite sitting in a stadium 1/4 full for nearly every other game (I don’t have a season ticket).

52 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

I think you’d be questioning how much a Dumbarton fan someone is if they’ve not been to a game all season but suddenly want to attend this one. I agree with the Season ticket holders and evidence of a previous ticket only. I personally have been to every home game in the league this season but presumably I’m likely to get shafted for this game despite sitting in a stadium 1/4 full for nearly every other game (I don’t have a season ticket).

I think you're on shakey ground here. Due to geographical location and other commitments I often see us roughly ten times a season, but I'm lucky if more than one of those is through at the Rock. 

Granted, I'm not looking to make one of those rare trips for this game, others might though.

Edited by GordyBrow

4 hours ago, GordyBrow said:

I think you're on shakey ground here. Due to geographical location and other commitments I often see us roughly ten times a season, but I'm lucky if more than one of those is through at the Rock. 

Granted, I'm not looking to make one of those rare trips for this game, others might though.

It would little sense though for someone far afield to plan to come to this 1 game. The only game of the season where there is the slightest prospect of a sell out. Even if we’re in the playoffs or have a game to win the title there will be absolutely no issues getting a ticket (also surely a far more exciting prospect for any proper Dumbarton fan). If someone specifically wants to attend this game but no others it’s clearly because of the opponents.

32 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

It would little sense though for someone far afield to plan to come to this 1 game. The only game of the season where there is the slightest prospect of a sell out. Even if we’re in the playoffs or have a game to win the title there will be absolutely no issues getting a ticket (also surely a far more exciting prospect for any proper Dumbarton fan). If someone specifically wants to attend this game but no others it’s clearly because of the opponents.

I'm not sure we should be worrying ourselves too much to define what a "proper" Dumbarton fan is and what might excite them. Pay money, support the team, will do for me. As it happens there will likely be many Dumbarton supporters specifically interested in the cup match as it offers a chance (however small) to witness what would be a once in a generation victory.

46 minutes ago, George Parr said:

I'm not sure we should be worrying ourselves too much to define what a "proper" Dumbarton fan is and what might excite them. Pay money, support the team, will do for me. As it happens there will likely be many Dumbarton supporters specifically interested in the cup match as it offers a chance (however small) to witness what would be a once in a generation victory.

Not to mention it might just happen to fall on a weekend where you can afford and justify a huge round trip because you have money available and nothing else in the calendar preventing you from spending your entire Saturday away from home.

But as @George Parr above says we're straying into dangerous territory, which was my point.

On 04/12/2023 at 07:32, The Moonster said:

A member of Aitken's Army told me I wasn't a real fan once, so I guess that settles it 😞

Popped onto the Edinburgh City thread for a wee look after their finance troubles became clear yesterday, and saw this about a certain Rusty McLean...

7 hours ago, AllyMonc said:

The worst I've seen in my time watching City. Appalling.

I find his drop off absolutely staggering since the end of the 2021-22 season. He was always a bit of an enigma, and he's never really been consistent, but his goal record speaks for itself. And he had some terrific games against us for Montrose and Peterhead.

When he signed for us in January (aye, it was January of this year, seems a lifetime ago) we were getting a 24-year-old forward who had already scored more than 50 senior goals in just over 150 senior games. That's a terrific pedigree. Even now he has 42 goals in 89 SPFL starts. That's a record few players we've had recently can get near. I genuinely believed he would be the missing link in our team and would fire us to promotion when we brought him in. From what I saw of him at Montrose and Peterhead he was the type of forward we'd been crying out for, for years.

Yet he only ever looked good for about 20 minutes in a Sons shirt. And that seems to have continued in the capital.

I don't know if it's the injury, a loss of confidence, a loss of appetite for the game or what. But I can't get my head around how quickly he's gone from handy League One goalscorer in a playoff chasing Montrose team (and very capable Peterhead team with Brett Long, Scott Brown et al) to a complete jobber who has barely had an impact on a match in two years.

Edited by Jan Vojáček