Sons' sorrow

4 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

image.thumb.png.2b360053c4cc5ad2eec8de03cc519d53.png

not sure if anyone has seen this article. Popped up on my twitter. Suppose it’s nothing we don’t already know.

Are Clydebank really in the abyss? Since they put us out the cup a couple of seasons I would dispute this

30 minutes ago, Johnny Worm said:

Are Clydebank really in the abyss? Since they put us out the cup a couple of seasons I would dispute this

They had to wander, go bust, reform at the lowest Junior level and then rebuild for 20 years to get where they are now (tier 6). So, yes, the journalist's point is valid.

Broomhill we’re due to play at the Rock tomorrow night but it’s now postponed due to ‘storm damage’. Let’s hope the damage isn’t severe or our invisible overlords haven’t forgot to pay the insurance.

37 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

Broomhill we’re due to play at the Rock tomorrow night but it’s now postponed due to ‘storm damage’. Let’s hope the damage isn’t severe or our invisible overlords haven’t forgot to pay the insurance.

Was walking our dog at the stadium earlier, never noticed any storm damage or any activity at the stadium relating to damage.

Maybe it's code for the pitch is in a terrible state due to Saturday night's exertions and the recent bad weather and we are also back to 1 old fart for a Groundsman?

Edited by Silverton End

44 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Was walking our dog at the stadium earlier, never noticed any storm damage or any activity at the stadium relating to damage.

Maybe it's code for the pitch is in a terrible state due to Saturday night's exertions and the recent bad weather and we are also back to 1 old fart for a Groundsman?

I think that would be preferable to any costly structural damage to be honest.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

They had to wander, go bust, reform at the lowest Junior level and then rebuild for 20 years to get where they are now (tier 6). So, yes, the journalist's point is valid.

Yep, and it's only when you are actually in the abyss that you find out if you have people with the drive and commitment to get back out of it.  Having been involved with the Bankies guys with Alan Findlay during their club's then death throes convinced me that they did, but boy have I been haunted ever since by the prospect of Dumbarton FC ever facing a similar fate.

And that fear has heightened considerably in recent years.  Anyone who thinks that these newspaper articles are sensationalist simply hasn't been paying attention.  

57 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

I had assumed he was retired.

Nah, he's running a social media campaign to get himself back into football after a few years out. Seems like it's gaining a bit of interest and stuff but i also noticed he is out in Dubai just now.

FWIW, I actually think a few of the clubs around us may have offered him some kind of deal or training facilities this month, but it wouldn't be good PR and things and will be a much better story if he gets a move further up the leagues. Plus, it's titled something along the lines of "365 days to return to pro." So would be a bit boring if it ended after 30 days.

It's relatively low risk for a team at our level to take him on as he shouldn't be commanding a huge wage and is more likely to do a job at our lower level than say, The Championship. I think he may be seeking a full time deal, so perhaps a Queen of the South or Cove Rangers might be more viable options.

16 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I see we have a few nominees for the new Trust Director. Will give them a proper read tomorrow. Brave souls. I can’t imagine it’s a fun role.

Some of the suggestions 🤣

Hmm, I’ll be honest, increasing the capacity of the stadium is not going to magically increase the fan base… We barely have a core of 500 home fans these days. Even when we were in the Championship our crowds weren’t amazing. I’m sure the club could do a lot more to reach out to the community, but it’ll only take us so far. People will just always choose the old firm over Dumbarton FC, sadly.

1 minute ago, FifeSons said:

Hmm, I’ll be honest, increasing the capacity of the stadium is not going to magically increase the fan base… We barely have a core of 500 home fans these days. Even when we were in the Championship our crowds weren’t amazing. I’m sure the club could do a lot more to reach out to the community, but it’ll only take us so far. People will just always choose the old firm over Dumbarton FC, sadly.

I'm absolutely buzzing for Winter Fest (c) and Premiership football. Who knew that 7000 fans and top flight football was only a trust nomination away.

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

@Sons Fan was putting your relationship with A. Hosie really something you thought would be a selling point?

I was thinking that, too… I’d probably have avoided mentioning that. I guess the rest of the Hosies have done well by DFC (as far as I know). Maybe he just wanted to be fully transparent about the connection.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

@Sons Fan was putting your relationship with A. Hosie really something you thought would be a selling point?

In short no. It was never intended to be a selling point. People who know me will know the connection but others may not and I wanted to be open and honest about it from the start.

Ultimately, short of a Colin Weir or Brooks Mileson, the best we can ever hope to be is where Arbroath have been for the last few years and where we were before that. We’re never going to be full-time or a Premiership side, and that’s absolutely fine. It’s much more about protecting from the downside risk (i.e. not falling into the abyss).

Just now, FifeSons said:

Ultimately, short of a Colin Weir or Brooks Mileson, the best we can ever hope to be is where Arbroath have been for the last few years and where we were before that. We’re never going to be full-time or a Premiership side, and that’s absolutely fine. It’s much more about protecting from the downside risk (i.e. not falling into the abyss).

Ultimately, whomsoever the Trust person on the DFC board is will have absolutely zero impact on stadium size or the league the club occupies. These are all just empty words to try and get votes, but ultimately carrying out these promises is nigh on impossible. Maybe getting better electronic payment terminals is possible, but most of the other suggestions aren't things a trust nominee to the board would have the power or ability to provide. They can suggest things, but when the answer comes back "no money for that" or "we'll look into it" then that's where the matter dies.

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Ultimately, whomsoever the Trust person on the DFC board is will have absolutely zero impact on stadium size or the league the club occupies. These are all just empty words to try and get votes, but ultimately carrying out these promises is nigh on impossible. Maybe getting better electronic payment terminals is possible, but most of the other suggestions aren't things a trust nominee to the board would have the power or ability to provide. They can suggest things, but when the answer comes back "no money for that" or "we'll look into it" then that's where the matter dies.

Agreed, though I don’t think any of Sons Fans suggestions are too outlandish, tbf. Perhaps the most important thing would be to get Neil MacKay out the way, but that doesn’t feel straightforward.