Sons' sorrow

9 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Hope Rovers got good money for him. A proper club with a great stadium. Give me them any day over diddies like Bonnyrigg and Kelty.

Don't really get the hate for Bonnyrigg tbh, they seem like a well run Club with plenty of local support, healthy backing from local sponsors, a good Social Club & in 3 visits there I've seen improvements to their ground every time, new terracing, a new enclosure etc.

I don't think we are in any position to label Bonnyrigg as a diddy Club as we continue to slide down the Leagues with non-existent Leadership, a shite pitch & crumbling stadium...etc etc etc 

6 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

What makes Albion rovers a proper club and Bonnyrigg not?

41 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Don't really get the hate for Bonnyrigg tbh, they seem like a well run Club with plenty of local support, healthy backing from local sponsors, a good Social Club & in 3 visits there I've seen improvements to their ground every time, new terracing, a new enclosure etc.

I don't think we are in any position to label Bonnyrigg as a diddy Club as we continue to slide down the Leagues with non-existent Leadership, a shite pitch & crumbling stadium...etc etc etc 

Nah, they’ve only got one fan on here, so can’t be considered a proper club.

8 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think that was maybe Stevenson who @FifeSons mentioned a few posts back. The story rings a bell.

It was. He became homesick in Spain and apparently had a clause in his contract that if he bailed out he had to come back to Alloa. He did and it was bad news for Dumbarton as he was fundamental to our great escape at your expense in 2005/06. Our recovery from a seemingly hopeless position was basically not concede and hope Jamie would score a cracker, which he did on a few occasions. One against Sons. That and Paul Martin losing the plot saved us. 

Morton bought Stevenson that summer and he went on to have a solid pt career without reaching levels he had looked capable of. Hopefully Bevan can make a good career for himself through his move south. 

Edited by Waspie

If someone can forward this to the owners and let them see what might be achieved if we sit down and discuss sensible ways forward for the club and wider community...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/clubs-come-together-dream-vale-32024539?fbclid=IwAR0gduYY2dTcLCwoRsuv1-g0Y_KmkkYGk2ZxhCN2j2FxfCGU4DaV8gX4NXY

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

If someone can forward this to the owners and let them see what might be achieved if we sit down and discuss sensible ways forward for the club and wider community...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/clubs-come-together-dream-vale-32024539?fbclid=IwAR0gduYY2dTcLCwoRsuv1-g0Y_KmkkYGk2ZxhCN2j2FxfCGU4DaV8gX4NXY

Millburn has good potential, a fair bit of land behind one end, decent existing pitch & the basics still there for terracing.

These sort of ideas just seem to be beyond DFC.

10 hours ago, Waspie said:

He did and it was bad news for Dumbarton as he was fundamental to our great escape at your expense in 2005/06. Our recovery from a seemingly hopeless position was basically not concede and hope Jamie would score a cracker, which he did on a few occasions. One against Sons. That and Paul Martin losing the plot saved us. 

I still have nightmares about that season. Particularly the penultimate game of the season at Recreation Park where we lost 1-0 and Grindlay saved a penalty. Think Dempsie crocked Stevenson in the process and saw red. I was only 12 but it definitely felt like we took a very decent support through.

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3990

That season had some really insane games. I've never seen anything like the 3-2 win at Forfar with 9 men and 4-5 defeat at home to Ayr. That was the first season I was old enough to really feel any major disappointment supporting Sons. Fortunately I was too young to remember the relegation seasons in the 90s.

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3977

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3988

Edited by FifeSons

8 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

That season had some really insane games. I've never seen anything like the 3-2 win at Forfar with 9 men and 4-5 defeat at home to Ayr. That was the first season I was old enough to really feel any major disappointment supporting Sons. Fortunately I was too young to remember the relegation seasons in the 90s.

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3977

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3988

That was my first season going. Been 19 years of ups and downs since.

49 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I still have nightmares about that season. Particularly the penultimate game of the season at Recreation Park where we lost 1-0 and Grindlay saved a penalty. Think Dempsie crocked Stevenson in the process and saw red. I was only 12 but it definitely felt like we took a very decent support through.

https://sonsarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=3990

That was the one, Stevenson curled a lovely shot around Grindlay for the opener then got crocked for the penalty later on. Don't think the Sons Archive has the Alloa team right there: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/4929776.stm

Stevenson scored the winner in a midweek 1-0 at the Rock the month before that too as we began to get a bit of momentum. 

Anyway, sorry for dredging up bad memories. Good luck for the rest of the campaign and make sure Durnan doesn't have any holidays booked for the end of the season. 

Edited by Waspie

19 minutes ago, Waspie said:

That was the one, Stevenson curled a lovely shot around Grindlay for the opener then got crocked for the penalty later on. Don't think the Sons Archive has the Alloa team right there: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_div_1/4929776.stm

Stevenson scored the winner in a midweek 1-0 at the Rock the month before that too as we began to get a bit of momentum. 

Anyway, sorry for dredging up bad memories. Good luck for the rest of the campaign and make sure Durnan doesn't have any holidays booked for the end of the season. 

He's been out for months and had an operation which is going to keep him out for another 4-6 weeks, so I'm dubious we'll see him again this season, regardless. That didn't stop us extending his contract, mind.

Edited by FifeSons

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Absolutely this. Amazing what can be done when you have a realistic vision and pull resources, including wider community stakeholders and funding partners, in to a discussion centered around improving what you already have via a coherent, realistic and sustainable business strategy. I don't think we've ever seen a well thought-out, costed, business plan from our CC overlords. Easy to talk about full-time championship football I suppose. Keep the masses happy.

CC failed to provide a realistic business plan in support of their case for the club's relocation to Dalmoak despite having over 10-years to do so, never mind a plan around utilising to its full potential our current home. Its almost like they aren't willing or capable....or have no intention of ever seeing it through.

Anyway, the Vale would be best to forget that plan and focus more on building a superdome with hotels and houses up Bonhill.

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

On a related theme, on Wednesday of this week a motion with cross-party support was debated in the Scottish Parliament with the aim of establishing a Regulator in Scottish football.  A lot of work has gone into reaching this point, with much credit due to Scottish Football Alliance and the Scottish Football Supporters Association and particularly Sons fan and ex Trust Board member Simon Barrow.

You won't be surprised to learn that the idea is being strongly resisted by the SFA and the country's bigger clubs.  There is however a fair bit of political backing in recognition of the chequered ownership history and financial distress of a number of Scottish clubs.  The Sonstrust has long valued the supportive relationship we have with Jackie Baillie MSP and her contribution to the debate is copied below.  I would particularly direct you to the closing paragraph.

I believe Jan has now sought the view of the sole current Director of Cognitive Capital Ltd as to their future intentions in the context of the company's majority shareholding ownership of Dumbarton Football Club, with an article due in next week's Lennox  Herald. 

I thank Ben Macpherson for bringing the debate to the chamber, as well as the Scottish Football Alliance and Simon Barrow, who wrote much of the “Rebuilding Scottish Football” report and brought it together. I also echo the words of members across the chamber in recognising the success of Scotland’s national teams in recent years. I look forward to cheering on the women’s team next month and, of course, the men’s team in the Euros this summer. I also commend the Scottish Women’s Premier League and its achievements, which speak to the success of women’s football.

The Scottish Football Supporters Association’s fan-led review of football in Scotland is a positive step towards bringing about much-needed change in the sport. The introduction of an independent regulator to scrutinise governance, finance and transparency should be considered to give fans a much louder voice and to ensure good governance in the game. We know that, on some occasions, clubs in Scotland are bought by businesspeople who have no real interest in benefiting the communities and supporters to whom the teams belong.

Take Dumbarton Football Club, in my constituency. The Sons Supporters Trust has been instrumental in supporting the club over the years, voicing community concerns about its ownership. In May 2021, Dumbarton was purchased by Cognitive Capital, a Norwegian investment group, which said that it planned to turn the team into “a stable Championship club” and claimed that the multimillion pound plans for a new stadium at Young’s farm in Renton would be revived. That would have meant moving the club from its existing ground to release it for—guess what?—upmarket housing development. There were real concerns about the club’s future and whether this was a case of asset stripping.

Dumbarton is, without doubt, an iconic club. Stevie Farrell is a great manager, and the team has huge potential. It is also one of the oldest clubs in Scotland and celebrated its 150th anniversary last year. Many believe that that strong reputation has piqued the interest of people who do not represent the interests and the future of the club or, indeed, the interests of the local community. Even more believe that the value of the land for residential development at the foot of Dumbarton castle might be the underlying motivation.

The Sons Supporters Trust has told me that, for nearly two decades, Dumbarton has been in the hands of owners whose primary interest appears to be land and property deals, and who have frequently failed to deliver the resources that were promised to the club. Reportedly, they have stalled possible community development because of a get-rich pipe dream. Instead of treating clubs such as Dumbarton with the respect that they deserve, they have been treated like development opportunities to get rich quick.

That issue does not affect only clubs in Scotland. Across the UK, clubs in England and Wales have been snapped up by multimillionaires. Sometimes, that has not worked well and we have seen managed decline and fans’ wishes being steamrolled, taking the heart out of the sport that we all love.

Proposals for greater scrutiny are, as we have heard, being brought forward for the rest of the UK, which is positive, but we must likewise ensure the regulation of Scottish football so that we are not left behind. We must come together for our communities and clubs to guarantee that public interest is at the forefront of football ownership, that Scottish football is run for the benefit of the people and that accountability can flourish.

Club management structures should not be left to mark their own homework any longer. We need to take this opportunity to bring Scottish football back to the fans and the communities that the teams belong to, and to protect the future of Scottish football and clubs such as Dumbarton.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

On 01/02/2024 at 15:19, Sweet Pete said:

I'll be speaking to Niyah Joseph's mum in 11 minutes so I'll see if I can hammer out a deal.

My highly secret source (his dad) tells me he has an offer from an Australian club.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Stevie Farrell is a great manager, 

Typical lying politicians...

But in all seriousness it's a good statement and I'm very intrigued as to what cognitive say about it all, if anything. 

Great statement, especially from someone who really cares. If you believe that fine. She was so interested in the area she had to approach East Dumbartonshire trade unions for sponsorship. She like the rest says what she believes the voters want to hear.

10 minutes ago, Sawkye said:

Great statement, especially from someone who really cares. If you believe that fine. She was so interested in the area she had to approach East Dumbartonshire trade unions for sponsorship. She like the rest says what she believes the voters want to hear.

Mods, plz.

2 hours ago, Sawkye said:

I've no idea what you are on about, East Dunbartonshire trade unions??

On a personal level Jackie Baillie is very approachable and helped my family out when an elderly relative was plagued by an aggressive anti-social arsehole neighbour.

I doubt she has any real interest in watching football but if she's at least onside with the Sons fans/Sonstrust it's surely a plus?